I had a job until I didn't/NYC Open Market question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LITeachTeach, Jul 28, 2011.

1. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

A great NYC public school offered me a position for the next school year. (I have a specialty license so I could have been hired despite freeze.) Then, they emailed me to say the person I was going to replace rescinded their resignation so they could no longer hire me. I was devastated especially because for one month we were communicating about orientation and on-boarding so there was no reason to doubt this offer. They never told me the offer was contingent on a particular person's resignation.

A friend who is a current teacher has access to the Open Market and told me she saw the school list a job in my license area. I've been told the Open Market is foggy and what is really listed may not be reality but I was still upset to hear about this listing. I was wondering if would be bad to follow up again with the Principal. The general public is not supposed to know what's listed on the Open Market but with such a massive system, of course, teachers are going to tell job-searching friends what they see.

1) Should I contact the Principal to follow-up? If I do should I tell the Principal I saw the posting on the open market?
    2) I don't want to spend the next school year telling people this great school hired me until they took it back. My resume is out to all the schools and I applied on-line to all the suburban districts of New York. Any new advice that you think can be helpful on getting hired in the NYC area?

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

I'm sorry about what happened. Did you ever sign a contract or anything? If I learned anything from going through the interview process, it's that nothing is guaranteed until you actually have it written down on paper. Your offer letter or contract would've stated the stipulations for the job and if it is contingent on anything. I just learn to make sure not to think I have a job unless there is a signed written agreement and I know the terms of it.

4. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 28, 2011

what is your license in?

5. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

teach42, I did not sign a contract. My understanding is that there are not individual contracts in the city school system because all teachers work under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement between the teacher's union and the city.