I had a DATE last night!!! :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by d_anne5, Jan 19, 2009.

1. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

Ummmm, guilty. There are two co-workers/friends at school who I tell all of my details to. . . at school, whether it's before or after. If there's no one in the room, and the door is shut, I don't see what the big deal is.:confused:

Anyway, I'm going on date #2 tonight! He's picking me up in about 1 1/2 hours. Can't wait!:D

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2009

danne, I never once told them they couldn't. I didn't feel comfortable sharing my intimate details in that setting personally. It feels the same as it would if I were at church. I also don't mean between personal friends at work but I mean EVERYBODY. It's like a group of guys in a locker room sometimes. They simply asked me why I wasn't sharing (ie, was I embarrassed). I wasn't embarrassed. It just didn't feel like the most appropriate place with the appropriate group of people to talk about bedroom stuff.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2009

So having your period would prevent you from going out on a first date???:confused::confused:

...and seriously, work is not the place to be sharing your intimate details...door shut or not.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2009

I came across as too critical on the bald thread, so I haven't responded yet on this one.

But I agree with every word Czacza has said!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2009

Dang I agree again with czacza
    Cue up the Twilight Zone music

Notice How the "Been there, done that" group (I am one) is in agreement
    We do have wisdom beyond our years

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2009

Uh oh, Dave....that Dark side is coming closer and closer. :D

And I agree with you once again czacza.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2009

While I'm on a roll:

I think that, if I were going to tell ANY lie to a stranger, and a guy at that, I think that one having to do with my period would be pretty low down on the list.

Car trouble springs to mind, followed by a stomach bug. But my period??

Uhhh, nope.

We teach kids that any part of their bodies covered by a bathing suit is a "privacy area." As adults, we realize that there are parts of our lives that also count as "privacy areas" that are not out there for the general public.

And I still don't get how it's OK for you to tell this lie, but the last guy was totally out of line for lying about his hair.

Seems like a double standard to me.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2009

Hmmmm. . . can't let that go by without a response. . .

Robert Herrick. 1591–1674

Of course, there are several sentiments in this poem which may not quite apply at the moment.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2009

Alice I have to agree, though I know that having a cycle is a part of life, it is not something I would even discuss with a guy that I have never met. d_anne please be careful while dating.

10. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

I used the period excuse b/c I get bad PMS and feel icky and get tired and just don't feel well. That's why. As far as discussing that issue with him . . . eh. I'm a pretty open person. If he didn't have any issues with it, I don't see why anyone else should. We had date #2, it went great, and he wants to see me again this week. It all worked out just fine.:)

cutNglue - Ohhhhh I gotcha. Yeah, that's not cool. There's a woman whom I work with who spreads her business to anyone and everyone who will listen. It's annoying, and not many people like her. Yeah, I just share with a close couple of friends in the privacy of my room.

czacza - I still don't see what the big deal is. If we're talking during non-school hours, then what's the big deal? So, if we walk twenty feet off campus across the street it's going to make that big of a difference?:confused:

alice - It wasn't okay w/ me to tell that lie. Not at all. That's why I confessed. I felt horrible for it, trust me, and I'm not making excuses for myself. I was totally in the wrong. BUT I confessed; the MO guy didn't until I asked HIM about it. He didn't offer the information.

11. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

How exciting for you! What did you guys do for date #2? Do share details. :)

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2009

:agreed:

13. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

We went to dinner at Mi Cocina. It was really yummy. We chatted some more, mainly about our jobs. It was a pretty short date - about an hour. He wasn't feeling well, and I could tell. He kept rubbing his eyes and clearing his throat.:( I asked if he was okay, and he said he woke up w/ a sore throat and wasn't feeling too well. Poor guy.:(

He had picked me up, and when he drove me back to drop me off, he gave me a few goodnight kisses (I know, he has allergies or something, but I couldn't resist:D). He apologized for ending it short but asked if he could see me later this week. I said yes.:)

I texted him a little while later and thanked him for having dinner with me and hoped he got to feeling better. He said thank you and apologized again for cutting it short. I said it was ok; he'll just have to make it up to me next time. lol.:D

14. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

That's great! Here's to wishing you many more happy dates!

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2009

Many a career has been "sunk" by "talk".......
    why do you think during WWII they said "loose lips sink ships"

16. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

If that were true at my school, and many others, there wouldn't be a staff. There's soooooo much "talk" around school it's not even funny. I'm not airing my life to EVERYONE, just a couple of my friends. I've never heard of a teacher getting fired for dishing about a date the previous night while talking before/after school.

If one of the teachers can air her business about dating a married guy for three years (she didn't know he was married at the time, which is beyond me), and then exclaim that he gave her the "gift that keeps on giving" (aka an STD) and not get in trouble for it. . . then I think I'll be okay.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2009

Dave and I probably have it a little different. I work two schools and out of both there are two males. The other is a principal and he is not well liked. I have heard it ALL and been the topic of discussion also. Some people are private and some are out there. Everyone knows my business because it is a small town and word gets around. Good luck with this guy and take your time but to thine own self be true. I remember when I was the young guy on staff and now I could be the father of some of my co-workers.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2009

And be sure to assume that anything you post online could possibly be seen by students, parents, administrators, potential employers, and future mothers-in-law.

Remember, there's that thread with your picture as well.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

I've been the subject of unfounded gossip before...it's NOT fun. Fortunately, my career survived that one, but it could have been bad.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2009

...or maybe nature wasn't agreeing with him? :confused: See... that's the problem with starting out with a lie (even though you fessed up...)

And EEEK! Teachers talking about their $ex lives? and STDs? A little bit TMI, if you ask me...

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

I assumed she meant she got her period.:blush: NOT something I'd tell a new guy. Also, mere karma would keep me from lying about that thing coming unannounced! Lol.

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

I've been with my husband since 1990, and he still prefers to know nothing about it!:lol:

23. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

When Kevin was in second grade, the principal and his teacher had an affair. It ended his marriage, and they both ended up leaving. This all got to the parents before any announcement got made. So, word does travel. That school lost a dynamite principal and one of only three teachers to ever really help Kevin in his whole school career.

24. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

Remember ladies chivarly is not dead:D I am glad your date went well what online website did you meet this guy on?

25. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

I have to admit, I'd be pretty flattered if a guy admitted to me that he told a lie because he really was attracted to me and was too nervous to come on that first date. I really would.

I'd have been too shy to claim PMS to someone I hardly knew, but that's just my personality. My husband was raised by a bunch of women and has no qualms about those sorts of topics - he'd be way more grossed out to hear about a stomach virus.

26. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

becky - Word travels, true. Schools are a breeding ground for gossip. It happens. I'm not ashamed of my personal life, so if someone finds out I went on a date and made out, oh well. I didn't have an affair, so I think I'm in the clear.;)

deazy - Actually, I met him off of craigslist. I know. . . random!!! I would've NEVER thought to contact a guy from there, but I saw that they ha a personals section, and thought eh, why not? Might as well browse around.:)

Tampa - Yeah, I hope that's what he thought, too. And as you can tell, I'm not very shy when it comes to issues like that. lol. Obviously he didn't have an issue w/ me mentioning my "girl problem" b/c he didn't make a big deal of it.:)

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

Dear sweet D_anne
    You have dodged some bullets here:
    #1 you opened your self to gossip and gossip HAS hurt people
    #2 you found the guy on craigslist there have been woman murdered by a guy from craigslist. (I am not saying all guys on craigslist are murders)
    #3 he did not make a big deal of it maybe because he was in shock?
    I maybe old school but that is my :2cents:

what would your momma say?

28. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

Wow..give the girl a break. She just wanted to tell us about her fantastic date!

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

OK I am done
    I will not respond again
    I will unsubscribe from this thread
    my advice is not wanted.
    Good luck

30. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

Dave, I think what you have to say is completely fair and I can see what you are saying and why you are saying them :) I think whn people post on here, they should be prepared for EVERYTHING!

31. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

Sorry, fell asleep early, now it's 2:30am, and I'm up. Ahhhh!:eek:

Anyway, dave, it's all good! I understand your concern. You're the poppa of the boards.;)

I've already told my mom everything. We're close (She's a single mom, I'm an only child). She was very happy for me and told me to have fun on my second date. Actually, she's glad b/c when I was in HS, I was such a prude. I wouldn't date, go out w/ friends and have fun, etc.

She once told me to get into a "little trouble." Haha. Soooo, the summer after I turned 18, I went to a friend of a friend's house party, got completely toasted for the first time. I called her to let her know where I was, that I was going to crash at a friend's house, and that I had a ride home in the morning. She was okay with that.

When I came home the next morning, she was waiting at the top of the steps grinning ear from ear, chuckling. As I was walking up, she said, "So how do ya feel?" and started cracking up. Then she said, "I've always wondered what you'd look like hungover!" and giggled some more. Haha.

Ok, that was kind of a random story, but my point is, my mom is laid back and open. About the guy/date, she'd say that I'm 24 years old, old enough to make my own decisions and do what I want. We met in a public setting first, we had fun, so we made out. Big deal. So what if I make out on a first date; that's my decision. I'm not one to have a set of rules - no kissing on first date, one kiss on second, maybe another on the third, etc. . . I just go w/ the flow.:)

dave - Please know I'm not mad. I appreciate your concern, and you crack me up half the time anyway. Ok, more than half the time. lol.:D

32. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

Yep, pretty much!:D:cool:

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2009

d_anne,

I don't think any of us is concerned that you kissed on the first date.

I think it's more of a safety concern. I think the concern is that you're sending out the wrong message, and that the wrong guy is going to take you up on it.

We're assuming that the kissing wasn't in a public place, and that this guy about whom you really know nothing may not have been all he said he was. And that the cues you sent him, intentionally or not, may have implied that you were open to far more than "making out."

We're concerned about date rape, or about worse.

Please be careful. Have fun, enjoy yourself. But be very careful.

34. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

Thank you. I appreciate it. I feel like one of the "youngins" on the board, so I know y'all are just trying to watch over me in a sense. Thanks.:)