I guess summer really is over, huh???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Tomorrow each of the 5 of us heads off in a different direction.

As much as I LOVE summer, I'm looking forward to the start of a new school year.

I'm excited about my new approach to my Geometry classes, even if I'm still a bit fuzzy about how and when I'll implement it. That's OK; I'm confident that I'll figure it out when the time is right.

So today it's a bit of housework, then one final barbecue and a trip for either icecream (Friendlys or Carvel) or Italian Ices (Ralph's.) I have a feeling that Ralph's will win.

Then, tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off at 5 am, it's officially fall in my house.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

It's going to be the strangest thing tomorrow when I'm the only one in the house who's going to school.

I'm looking forward to the year--lots of new challenges and working closely with a dear friend!

Today, it's laundry, looking for a couple of books I want to use next week, and putting some final touches on my planning binder (in an attempt to start the year super-organized).

Happy last day of summer!

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

Oh Alice... we began last week. The kids were great! I was ready! I am sure many kids are looking forward to a year with you. I am enthusiastic about your ideas in Geometry. When you keep reaching for new ideas to make math "real" for kids, you continue to grow as a teacher. The care that you give in your advice here on A to Z is a testiment to what you freely give to your students everyday.

Yes, summer is over... but your magic carpet ride is just about to begin. I am excited to hear about your NEW adventures this school year! PS - I vote Ralphs! I had my italian ice fix yesterday! YUM!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

Saturday we had a bbq and it was a little humid. Everyone wanted to go inside but I sat outside by myself for a good part of the party. I just figured I wouldn't have much of an opportunity to do it much longer. I just pulled my chair in the sun and soaked it in for awhile.

Yesterday we went cruising for awhile and drove through one of my favorite little towns in this area, which is a little lake town in the woods. We stopped at our favorite ice cream shop there - it will close up for the winter after today. Then we drove past the lake where people swim and I just felt like as we were driving away from the town we were driving away from summer.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

We went back two weeks ago. Everything is going great except for that whole TS Issac thing. The kids - except for a handful of boys - are awesome.

But if you could find a way to send us a dash of fall weather, it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe today, I'll break out the fall decorations and do up the house!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

Oh Alice, you're so lucky that tomorrow is your first day! We've been back for almost two weeks. When did you all get out of school? I think our last day was somewhere around June 10th.

No matter how long we're off, it always seems to just fly by. So far, I'm having a good year.Last year I had two students with E.D. that resulted in them needing a one-on-one aide (each aide would only last a few weeks before quitting or asking to be reassigned to another school b/c the two boys acted up THAT much)

This year, the worse I have are four extremely low kids but like my team and I always say "We can handle low. It's bad behavior that gets us."

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

Tomorrow is our first day too. It is the least prepared I've ever felt and it is my 9th year teaching. We are in the middle of a tense contract battle. Additionally, the board has put through so many new initiatives at once without enough time to digest them that many of us are feeling we are being intentionally set up for failure. Not at all how I dreamed I'd feel with 8 years under my belt. I'm spending my day at a Labor Day rally downtown. I honestly didn't really understand the significance of Labor Day until recently. It is hard going back to school knowing that we will most likely be walking out the doors on the Friday and return on the morning of the 10th walking a picket line.

However, I feel very strong that the fight we are in will have a rippling impact on public schools across the country. After all many of the current educational policies have their roots here.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

We have been back three weeks already, and summer is a distant memory. I don't like a lot of the changes in my building this year, but as my principal is fond of saying, "I'm the boss". I will adjust and do my best to enjoy the kids.

Good luck chicagoturtle- keep up the good fight.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

We also go back tomorrow. It is always a rather bittersweet feeling to know that another summer has passed! My day will have a very early start because I have to drive my daughter to work by 6:15. Oh well, I guess I get a little extra morning prep time.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

Enjoy your first day! Tomorrow will be my fourth day back with my students, and all of my classes seem nice so far.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

Today is my last day of summer, too! I mowed the grass, did laundry, and vaccuumed the car yesterday so that today I can sit by the pool and read a book!

I am also changing my math this year (grade 1!!) and it's nice to hear you are a bit fuzzy on your approach as well, Alice. While our content and approaches are worlds apart, it's good to know someone else is changing it up and feeling their way through.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

HA HA! Take the money!

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 3, 2012

BF & I went to the beach Saturday afternoon. It was so depressing when it was time to leave, it really felt like the end of summer when we hit the pavement off of the sand :(

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 3, 2012

I've been back to work for a month now...started 8/1 & back then, I didn't feel like going back to work, but what can ya do? My BF & I squeezed in one last day trip a couple of days before I had to be back. This was also my first time starting work & living alone, so that felt nice. This whole Sept, the county fair's going on, so that's a little something for me to be excited about. I love this month also because the weather starts getting cooler.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

Sounds like a wonderful way to cherish the last day of summer Alice! ;)

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

I am excited to go back and think I am super prepared. What did I forget? What didn't I do? Where is the school? What am I supposed to do? Am I really not wearing clothes? I am actually relieved to go back so the bad dreams will stop and I can sleep again.

19. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Sep 3, 2012

Enjoy your last day of summer! We will be starting day 16 tomorrow. But I'm still very much enjoying this three day weekend :)

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

My classroom has never been more ready and I have new ideas that I am pumped to use.

But......I am sooooo sad summer is over. It makes me tear as I type. If there is such thing as end-of-summer depession, I have it.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Well, it must be real--I just packed my lunch for tomorrow. I figured that, while I was making my salad for lunch today, it made sense to cut up my veggies and plan ahead for tomorrow at the same time.

22. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 3, 2012

Wake me up when..you know the rest...

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

A friend came over about an hour ago for a chat. She's the mom of "the girls" across the street, the ones who are like big sisters to my own 3.

A lot of her friends have been going through rough times in their marriages, and I guess she was just looking at where her life is. She's been on her own since her husband died when her now 23 year old twins were newborns. I think she was playing with the idea of a Match.com thing, but the troubles her friends are having are causing her to second guess herself.

Needless to say, lots on my to do list won't get done today. She needed a shoulder to cry on, and I'm glad I was there.

So my house won't be as clean as I would like for the start of school... such is life.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

This morning I...

- baked a muffins for the freezer
    - made playdough to go on all my students' desks on the first day
    - made a pot of soup for the freezer
    - washed my car

Now I'm off to a friend's pool for the afternoon!!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Definitely time around here to get back on track! Have a great back to school to all of us who go tomorrow.:D

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 3, 2012

I've had kids for a month already. It seems odd to hear so many people talk about heading back to school tomorrow. Of course, everyone thought it was weird when I was on summer vacation on May 11th, too!

Hope everyone has a great year. Mine is really good so far!

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

I'm starting week 6 with kids tomorrow. I didn't get out until the end of June though! I'm really liking my new job so far. My extra curricular activities will start this week. I have 5 after school groups I teach or supervise, so I'm going to be very busy!

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I'll be joining the working world with you tomorrow, Alice! It;s our teacher day, and kids start Wednesday.

As excited as I am for the new year and new kids, I'm going to miss my son so much.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

I'm in denial...It just really doesn't feel like I had a break, even though I didn't even let myself think about school until mid-July.

I spent yesterday cleaning the house, doing laundry, and running errands. Tonight we had chicken and corn on the grill. Yummmm!

I will be waking up at 5am tomorrow, too...Yikes! I also have to work at my 2nd job after school. Nothing like a 14 hour day right away.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

31. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 4, 2012

my daughters are supposed to start tomorrow and I start Thursday (with students) .

However, Hailey has strep throat and can not go to school tomorrow :( what a way for her to start the school year. And, all I can think is who will get it next week and how will I take a day off in the first week of school??!?