I guess it's another year subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 23, 2011

One of my districts starts tomorrow. The other three start after Labor Day. After trying to get an out of state license and applying to every job that I could in my own state, I'm right back where I've been for the last two years.

I'm trying to have a good attitude and tell myself that I'm going to work as much as I can this year instead of only taking the jobs that appeal to me and squeezing in extra days off like I've been doing. My little savings cushion is pretty much gone and I'm going to have to be much more frugal than I've been before...especially because I'm still hoping to find a contract, even if I have to move, and that definitely will take money.

And, maybe the job gods will be on my side and at the very least I'll get a LTS job like I did last year....

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2011

I'm sorry you have to sub yet again when you want a permanent job. The teaching field job market is so rough out there!

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

I will be starting my third year of subbing too. I am happy to have gotten a LTS job this spring. Last year I subbed 161 days. It looks like it is going to be busier this year! One good thing about subbing is that it doesn't really give you a chance to get bored. Everyday is different and a new adventure.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Joy...I love your viewpoint on this! I bet your positive outlook makes you a 'high demand' sub! That same 'can do' attitude will pay off for you!:thumb:

6. Still_Smiling

Still_Smiling Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

Me, too!

This is my second year subbing. Even though I've had around 20 interviews since last year and have not landed a job yet, I'm still happy that I have the opportunity to get into the classroom and teach as a substitute. Like Ms. I said, the market is rough and there are a lot of displaced teachers out there. It's not pretty.

Keep trying and keep smiling. Your time will come (and hopefully mine, too)!!:love:

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 24, 2011

It really is...I know someone with more classroom experience than I have who is in the same boat, and she takes each rejection so personally. It's hard when you're the type of personality who feels like you can control your life and then you get hit with something like this that's so out of your control. I definitely think there's some value in subbing and I don't mind paying my dues...especially when I seem to make more contacts with each passing year...I just worry that it may take much, much longer than many of us can spend in this holding pattern.

8. snapples

snapples Rookie

Sep 8, 2011

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've had my credential for a couple years and there are just no jobs out there. I decided to quit my aiding job this year and substitute teach instead. I felt a little down about sending out all those applications this year and not hearing back, but I think I am making a good decision with subbing this year. Thanks jen12 for sharing your thoughts, it's nice to know I'm not alone!!

9. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Sep 24, 2011

I'm glad you're still hopeful. If you're young and you're still looking, surely you will find something soon. I'm 58, am subbing, and am accepting I may never get back in and trying to figure out what else to do. I am a building sub this year, so I take whatever I'm given. Some teachers DO NOT leave good lessonplans or seating charts, but they are in the minority. It is not an easy job. I am exhausted. Hope you fare better :)

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 15, 2011

I just want to say that there is hope for subs. I have been subbing since February full time in elementary and middle schools, and since June at juvenile detention facilities (2 of them, plus in one rehab school). You CAN get noticed, because teachers talk, and principals ask about subs. That's how I just got a short term contract (with benefits), this is 'almost' a teaching position :)) it's as close as it can get at this district.

The same day this job was offered, a middle school called me for a 1-2 month long term sub job - that could have also turned into a teaching position. (I turned it down)
    So I just want to say, be positive. It is easier to be recognized in middle or high schools, - in my opinion - in elementary schools I always felt invisible. But if you step foot in a challenging school / classroom and you can control the students, the next day every teacher will know who you are and will be bombarding you with subdays. :)