I guess I will break the string of doom/gloom posts with a positive 1st yr post

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Sep 26, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 26, 2013

It's hard to avoid the horror stories of being a first year teacher. The evidence is right here on this board and it's obvious. The cards are stacked against a 1st year teacher. Credentialing programs don't do a good job (nor is it possible) to prepare a new teacher for the things they will face. And with seniority, it's almost a sure thing a new teacher will be placed in the least desirable setting.

With that said, I guess I will try to present a positive story so prospective teachers will see there is hope.

I'm teaching my first year and I like it. I applied for this job through EdJoin as an afterthought because the location and school didn't interest me. When I got called for an interview, I even thought about not going because I didn't really want a job that far anyways. I reluctantly went and left the interview feeling like I screwed it up. A few days later, I was offered the job.

The first day was great. Everyone I met was nice. The administrators were really nice. My department was really nice. My department head, who will eventually be my mentor, is really nice. I was given a less than stellar classroom (being low on the totem pole and all). But I've grown to like it. My neighbors are really nice. The kids are low. Some are super low. But they, for the most part, are really good kids. This is a high school with a large population receiving free lunch.

I don't feel any kind of pressure. People are willing to help as soon as I ask. I have tons of resources including lesson plans and materials. Again, all I have to do is ask and people hand it over freely. If I need supplies, I can get it. I can see myself teaching here for my entire career. But alas, the distance is still (and probably the main issue).

It's the setting. You have to set yourself up for a good environment. Find a good school. For many new teachers, that is impossible. So you have to do your time and transfer. But don't give up yet feeling like teaching isn't for you because of your environment. I lucked into this school. If you like teaching, stick it through until you've at least given yourself another shot in a different school. It's not going to always be bad the first few years!

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 27, 2013

I'm glad that your first year is going well!

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2013

Nice to hear a success story. I hope you nice year.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

Good to hear you're having such a great year! Staffing really does matter, I can attest to that first-hand. After all, teachers practically live at school! ;)

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 27, 2013

So glad to hear you're off to such a great start. (P.S. My first year was one of my best!)

7. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Sep 27, 2013

Supportive administration and a positive school environment make a world of difference! I don't care if the kids are reading 3 years behind grade level, I have only a chalkboard, and an hour drive to school. If the administration is helpful and constructive, I'm in.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Sep 27, 2013

Agree:thumb:

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 27, 2013

Admin is truly the difference with in the success and morale in a school. I am thankful that I was able to stick out a tough setting for 3 years to finally land a good one.

Good luck to you and your continued success this school year.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2013

Glad to hear. :)

I had a great first year. I was very busy with my state's first year intern program and taking grad classes, but I thankfully have no horror stories. It really is all about the right school.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

I had a similar experience last year, my first year. I took a job in a charter school and it ended up being a great fit for me (I'm still there this year). I have a very supportive team, my administration is great, and morale is very high at my school. Also, I just had the sweetest class last year - I still miss them! (Although I do love my new class...but there is just something so special about the very first class!) It was a hard, stressful, overwhelming year, but I really did discover I truly love this profession and want to continually get better at it!