I guess I need to keep trying.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FuzzyLB, Aug 6, 2021.

1. FuzzyLB

FuzzyLB New Member

Aug 6, 2021

I'm straight out of college and have been applying for schools as much as I can. Biology specifically, but I have yet to even get an interview, or even a rejection letter. I'm honestly getting really tied of the "trying to get an interview" game. I just want my life to move on past this point but I'm stuck in limbo until I can actually get a teaching job. I even talked to my mentor teacher, who went over my job app and cover letter to see if there was anything wrong with it but she said it was fine.
    Ugh. I'm so tired. Anyone got advice on what to do at this point? I'm running out of time for the next school year and covid really screwed things up for me and schools so I'm not sure what to do.
    Context: biology endorsement.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2021

First of all, :welcome::atoz_love:

Just keep spreading that resume like thick blackberry jam! If I am seeing correctly, you're in the SEATAC area. Make sure you're hitting private / charter schools as well as the big public districts. Be willing to take long term-subbing jobs in order to gain experience.

It can be incredibly frustrating to get that first placement! Sadly, it may not happen in your first year after your certification. It's okay to work as a substitute / supply teacher for a year or two. It will hone your skills in classroom management and also give you some real-world references for your resume.

Hang in there and hang with us. We'll do what we can to help.

creativemonster likes this.
  4. FuzzyLB

FuzzyLB New Member

Aug 6, 2021

Thank you! Its just one of those things they don't teach you in college I guess.