I got to see my classroom...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by whollyconsumed, Jul 18, 2015.

1. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2015

I got to see my classroom yesterday. I will be teaching 3rd grade Reading Language Arts and Social Studies to two groups of somewhere around 20 students. I have been thinking about it, but I am really stumped. It is a small room and used to be a GEMS One wall there is a smartboard and on (not really the opposite wall but an adjacent corner) there are two long whiteboards that are yellowed. ??? I am not sure if I should just make the smartboard the focus of the room or try to figure out a way to make it possible for the students to see both the dry erase board and the smartboard. There will be a lot of stuff to get rid of and I have one week in the room. I am wondering if I should just cover those yellowed whiteboards up with butcher paper. So needless to say, I am a little dazed. :p :help:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2015

I wouldn't cover both whiteboards up. If your projector breaks, SMART Board breaks, etc..., you will wish you had one. Maybe cover up one.

4. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Jul 18, 2015

I use my extra whiteboard space as large, flexible space that students can work out problems, brainstorm, and collaborate during group work. They love being able to write on the boards. Also, assuming the boards are magnetic, it is easy wall space to be able to display things like anchor charts, learning goals/objectives, behavior charts, and anything you may have to change often.

5. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2015

I am wondering why the whiteboards look so yellow! I know they are dirty from last year, but do you think it is because they are old? Any tips for cleaning????

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2015

I only use my whiteboard to list HW.

What have you tried on the whiteboards?

7. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 18, 2015

You can get whiteboard paint for about $25 at Home Depot and use it to repair boards. I've done it in the past, and in my new room have one board I plan to use it on.

8. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2015

I haven't tried to clean it yet. I literally just got to see the room. They haven't finished waxing my hall. I am trying to come up with a game plan for this room in my head! I guess I will go in and try to sort through all the inherited stuff and get rid of the junk first, maybe by then I will have some desks and be able to figure out a seating arrangement.

9. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2015

Maybe a magic eraser would do wonders?

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 18, 2015

wholly,

Are you sure it isn't a beige "white"board? They do make such a thing -- they have much less glare than regular white boards. Check in other rooms just to make sure it is really a white board that is dirty, and not a non-glare white board.

I agree with those who say leave at least one of them uncovered. You can't do everything on a smartboard. Sometimes you just need an old fashion whiteboard.

:)

11. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 18, 2015

RainStorm, I feel silly! I didn't know there was such a thing! Maybe that is the case with mine! I have never had one that wasn't just stark white.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2015

I cover mine w/fabric & use as bulletin board or teaching space.

13. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 19, 2015

If I can't get it looking good, I may have no choice, but I agree it would be handy to have in case technology doesn't work

14. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 19, 2015

Do you know what the name of that stuff is?

15. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 19, 2015

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2015

That's the price. I have tables & turn them into dry erase tables. The students love them.

17. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 20, 2015

I cleaned the board today really well today. I guess it was just really, really dirty. So, I guess I won't cover them after all. I realized that the room must have been a storage area. Waiting to hear back on what I should do with all the materials. Has anyone ever set up a classroom in a day or two? What did you do to prepare ahead of time to make things go smoothly? Did you have help?

18. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

Glad to hear they aren't a complete loss! My first year teaching I was hired days before school started (hired on a Friday and had to report on Tuesday). Between meetings and trainings I really only had 1 full day to put together the classroom. I was lucky to have the help of my mother-in-law (a retired teacher). It was chaotic but the year went well. I hope your luck continues to be on the up and up.

19. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 20, 2015

20. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

Yes, I've used it to rehab 2 whiteboards. Be sure not to get cheap rollers/brushes or you won't get a smooth finish.