I got the job!!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ll1301, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Hi everyone!! I went to my very FIRST teacher interview last week and I GOT THE JOB!! I am beyond excited! It is for first grade. Even though I am overwhelmed with joy and happiness that I will be doing what I love, I am so nervous, anxious and overwhelmed thinking about everything I need to get started. I wish I would've had all summer to plan and get things together...but I only have a few weeks. Can you give me suggestions or helpful advice on what certain things I absolutely need to get started. I have gone to several garage sales and have purchased many books for my library...but what else can you suggest that is crucial? Thank you so much my fellow teachers! I am thrilled to begin my teaching journey!! :):thumb:

3. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I don't have any advice for you as far as preparation goes, but I just wanted to say congratulations, and good luck with everything! :)

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Congrats! :) :) :)

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

Congratulations!

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

Congratulations!!!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Get copies of your curriculum guides (CCSS?), teacher manuals. Rough out your first several weeks lesson plans.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

Texas isn't common core. Find out how to access the curriculum guides. See if you can talk to the first grade department chair to get an idea about teacher dress code. Do they teach in a workshop style or use a specific program for core subjects? I would familiarize myself with whatever they use ASAP. Start a list of procedures to teach (you can google lists to get ideas) and decide how you want the kids to do this. Ask if they have any summer staff development you can attend to meet other teachers and get great ideas for tea bing that you know the district uses.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2013

Ask your principal ASAP if any supplies/materials will be given to you (such as math manipulatives, office type stuff (scissors, stapler, tape), chart paper, etc.
    Find out what you DO get so you know what you need to purchase still.
    Get in touch with your 1st grade team and see if they'll be meeting at all before school starts or not. My last school, we started meeting a couple times a week starting in July. My current school - well they don't meet until the week we all go back to work. So you never know!
    I, too, wonder what kind of style your district uses - workshop or something else. Get your curriculum!

10. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Congrats!! :) You're going to have a great time!