I GOT THE JOB - NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by CAAISA, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I'm very excited because I just found out I got the job -- middle school language arts at a very good school. I'm supposed to sign the contract on Friday (they will be at a seminar tomorrow so I have to wait until Friday) and go see my classroom and discuss important school information with the administration.

I'm a new teacher...I mean NEW. I have no teaching experience and don't even have a teaching degree -- my degree is English Lit. I was told that the curriculum is basically written out for me already, the books I'll be teaching has been chosen by the district. How I teach and what innovative ideas I use are all up to me.

So here's my question...now what? Do I concentrate on decorating the room? Do I request on Friday some of the books I'll be using so I can start preparing? Do the school usually guide you and tell you what you need or do you ask for things like curriculum, student lists, books, etc.

Can someone guide me and tell me what I should be doing?
    Thanks

3. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I am a new teacher in the same boat as you except I am High School Math. I still don't even know where my room will be yet! Wish I could offer suggestions but I thought it might make you feel better to know you are not the only one out there in the same situation.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 19, 2006

supplies

I would ask for books so I could start. I would ask when I could get in my room. And yes I would start decorating immediately. Time is running out.

A supply list which I made directed to lower elementary. Some things will be the same.
    List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, battery operated fan-style air fresheners, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, rubber gloves, Bloodborne pathogens are very real!! big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Mavalus tape . Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Umbrella. A couple fresh green plants. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves.

5. sugasmile

sugasmile Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Well, like the both of you, this will be my first year of teaching HS math. I emailed the department coordinator and had a sit down with her. I asked questions about curriculum, room assignments, and available supplies. After looking through the closet, I made of list of shared supplies and stuff that I know I will want to have a personal stash off. Then, I went through the binders of stuff the previous teachers left so I can piece together my own ideas about classroom management. Most of the stuff was school policies so I couldn't really tinker with it. My next step is to keep reading posts by Alice. I don't post messages too often, but reading this forum has become my addiction. Well, that's my game plan. I hope it helps. I figure the lists will help me to sleep at night.

6. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I too obsessively read this forum looking for new ideas and any bit of information that I can use to make the first day and on as successful as possible. I haven't had a chance to get much from the school yet so you are ahead of me! I found out today I get to teach Algebra I and got a book. They said most is already outlined in the school's curriculum and that I will get that soon.

7. Mrsstarz

Mrsstarz Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Hello! I have a lot of the same questions as all of you, with the exception of me teaching 3rd grade. I was told that I had the job and need to meet with the superintendent next week. Other than that I have no clue about rooms, curriculum, policies, how much I will maek, etc. If any elementary school teachers out there have an idea of how things go, that would be great. I also think this site is great. I went through all the interviewing threads before my interview and it sure helped! Thanks!

8. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I have been reading Harry Wong's Book, "The First Days of School" and trying to pick out what can be applied to High School Students. Some of the suggestions seem to fit elementary more but I am sure there is a way to mold them into High School. Hopefully we all have most of our questions answered before the students show up. As my husband says to his college kids from the movie A Beautiful Mind, "Hello, eager young minds!" I wonder if they would look at me strange if I said that to them on the first day of school!

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2006

I would establish your classroom management- with the nuts and bolts figured out, it'll be easier to teach. What type of behavior management will you have? Try and come up with a system for things like morning routines, when to sharpen a pencil, where to put finished work, will you send home a Weekly folder? I believe there are a few places on the forum that list these topics to help guide you.

10. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I need to ask some of the other teachers about how the school recommends or requires High School Teachers to interact with parents about homework and such. I currently am deciding on free or assigned seating (leaning towards assigned, at least at first). I have a general idea of how I want class time to run. It sounds like my class will be a block class so I will have them for two hours! As far as the basics go I think I will begin my classes by establishing a routine of solving a few problems that were not included in the homework. Then move into the lectures and/or activities. I ideally would like to allow for some in class homework time at the end of class. Being a block schedule I might have to figure out if I want to treat each hour as a "day" where there are two homework sessions and two lectures or just do it all as a one day with about two days worth of information. Still pondering....

11. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Wow...it is really great to know I'm not "floundering" by myself. I too will have block classes so now I have to worry about filling in 90 minutes instead of 45. I'm not too concerned about class management stuff...I'm cheating and copying from my own children's schools (ha ha) and also off of the threads. The principal said I can come in anytime I want to see my classroom (I thought I would wait until Friday since that is when I will be signing the contract -- it would make it official). I thought I would request materials then so I can get a jump start on what I will be teaching. They have a wonderful support staff and the Language Arts department is really supportive. I was told they also offer a mentoring program. The really great part is that the principal told me there are two other "new" teachers this year just like me so I won't feel so alone (maybe someone else can ask the "I feel stupid for asking this but..." so I can benefit from that -- ha ha). I feel better reading this thread...thanks to all of you that are in the same boat! That's what we're here for, right?

12. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I was thinking seating chart too. I remember how I was in high schoo, chatty Cathy with my friends.

13. sugasmile

sugasmile Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I will have seating charts. I am thinking about letting the kids sit wherever they want when they enter the room. I will stay in the hallway and watch who is talking to who and where they are sitting. Then I would enter the room, have the students stand against one of the four walls and assign seats. Is that too mean? I think it will be a show of power.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2006

I'm big on alphabetical order in the beginning-- although starting at the back is OK. In the beginning there are so many forms to hand back and alphabetize; things area just easier if they come back more or less in order. It helps with learning the names as well.

I wouldn't worry right now about the room decor. If I had books, I would be concentrating on the material. Was there any summer reading assigned? If so, you have to read the novel as well; the kids will have access to the internet, so you'll have to be fairly picky about what you ask on the test. In our school, the test is the 2nd week of school. You'll also want to decide how you'll schedule Grammar, Spelling, vocab, literature, and so on. How often will you test/quiz on each? If you have the materials, you can start making up those quizzes now and xerox them as you need them. (PLease don't give the same quiz from class to class unless they're back to back -- and maybe not even then!! Kids WILL come in knowing the answers-- or they'll be written on their hand/desk/whatever)

How will you cover the novel? Will you read bits in class? Will you assign a number of pages each night and hope they keep up? If there's a movie, will you show it to the class--in whole or in parts? (If so, you NEED to preview it.) How will you test it?

Without books, right now I would be concentrating on the mechanics... classroom management and logistics.

And you guys thought you had the summer off:sorry:

15. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Alphabetical sounds like the way I will go, b/c like I said I'm horrible with names....

16. CAAISA

CAAISA Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Very good advice as always, Alice. I've been so consumed with class management, decor, and curriculum that I haven't thought about how to test and how often. I like the idea of alphabetical seating charts to help me remember faces with names. I can always tell the kids it isn't a permanent situation, just until I get to know them better.