I GOT THE JOB(CRAZY DAY)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mr.history, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 11, 2013

I got a job for next year! I graduated in May 2012 with a degree in history. I couldn't find a job this year for nothing. I've been depressed, angry, and just generally miserable. Today I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

A district I interviewed with over the summer called me last week and asked me to interview again. I was hesitant since its about 4 hours away but I went to the interview today anyway. I had a panel interview with 5 people(same as last time). I prepared like crazy but still felt uneasy when I left(the interview lasted maybe 20minutes). About an hour after I left, I got a call from the principal asking me if I wanted the job. HECK YEAH I DO!

I will be teaching 11th grade US History next year. Full time position! Super excited. Now I even have time to prepare!:dizzy::D

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations. I bet you're super excited.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

Way to go! Those history jobs are hard to come by.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 11, 2013

I guess I should mention that I was told I was selected. I haven't been approved by the board yet. This is a small town, so I assume I'm not going to get turned down.

Not gonna think about it. Too excited! :)

I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts here. I don't post here much but some of your posts in this forum really helped me stay focused.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations! :)

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2013

Congrats! It's so early in the hiring season and you found something you love to teach.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2013

Fantastic! Congratulations to you.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations!! Even though they have to formally approve it, it's just formality. But I know the feeling of not knowing. I just found out today that my background check cleared, so I can finally believe it's really happening.
    It's awesome that you have so much time to prepare!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations! I assume you will be moving to your new town?

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Congrats!!!!!

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations. That's so great. Does this mean you will be relocating?

16. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Mar 11, 2013

Congrats on your new job!:rolleyes:

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Congratulations!

18. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 12, 2013

Yes, unfortunately I will have to move for this position. Its about a four hour drive one way to the school from my current home. Luckily I'm young and don't own a house so it won't be difficult to relocate.

This town is MUCH smaller than where I live now. I currently live in the suburbs outside of Atlanta and most would consider my new school as rural. The biggest thing in the whole town is a Walmart(and one family owned grocery store).

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 12, 2013

As long as you have Walmart, you have everything :)

All kidding aside, when I was looking to relocate to a very rural part of Nevada (towns with 3000-9000 people) and only 1 city with 50 000 people, but that's 1 hour 15 minutes away from school, I kept looking at what kind of stores they had. I remember thinking that Walmart is a good indicator. The 1 small city had 1 Walmart, so that showed we could consider that kind of a city :)

20. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Mar 12, 2013

Congrats!! You're a lucky duck!

21. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 12, 2013

I do feel incredibly lucky. This year has been really rough and I'm not sure how I would get through another year without a job.(The retail job I had in college went out of business last month) I've felt better these last two days than I have in the last six months. I haven't even gotten to teach yet but at least I know there is a job waiting for me next school year.

I still feel for all you guys still searching, especially the ones who were searching much longer than me. I think what really helped me find this job was the fact that I started pursuing my Masters in Instructional Technology when I thought I wasn't going to find a job right away(turned out to be a great call. I don't know what I would have done these last few months if I hadn't had school to keep me busy). The principal asked me a lot of questions about utilizing technology and my experience doing so. I had been doing field experiences with my degree program so I had quite a bit to talk about.

Good luck everyone who is still searching!

22. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 13, 2013

You got me curious about my new town. I looked on citydata.com and this town has 21,809 people(the whole county). My current location has 689,749. Thats a pretty big difference and believe me it shows! When I first got there all I saw was farms and trees, then boom walmart and mcdonalds... and that was pretty much it. :)

I'm still very excited but this is going to be a very different atmosphere than I'm used to.

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 13, 2013

I feel you! :lol: We recently moved from Long Island to upstate NY and it's like night and day. We don't even have a Walmart here... the nearest one is half an hour away through some tolls. You'll get used to it, though. I like how life is much more relaxed here. It's not rushrushrush all the time.

Congrats on the job!

24. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 15, 2013

I got a call from the principal today. The board approved me yesterday! She said I would receive my contract when the rest of the teachers get theirs. She invited me to tour the school and sit in on some classes if I wanted. I feel more excited each time I think about getting a job.

I should have asked when contracts go out but I was to excited to think clearly.:D

25. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Mar 16, 2013

I moved from LI to the south 5 years ago, big culture shock. :) I too love the lack of rush rush rush and not having to travel the LIE or LIRR anymore! When I go back to visit, it astounds me how long it takes to get from NYC to Suffolk.

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2013

Congrats to you

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2013

That's great that it's official.

28. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Mar 28, 2013

Congratulations! I, too, am a recent graduate looking for social studies jobs and sometimes the lack of those is enough to make me lose hope! But hearing about your job gives me a reason to keep hunting!

Enjoy teaching - US History is one of the best classes there is!! Congrats again!

29. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Mar 28, 2013

Thanks storyteller.
    I wish I could give you meaningful advice on how I got this job but I think luck played a big role in it as well. I followed a lot of the advice on this forum and I got resume help from my university. Thats about all I did.

I wish you luck. Try not to let the job hunt stress get you too down. (Easier said than done) The hardest thing to overcome for me was the self doubt. Most who know me wouldn't call me shy or lacking confidence but when I graduated and didn't immediately get a job I was wrecked. I didn't really know how hard the job market was in college but I was convinced there was something wrong with me when I couldn't get a job. This lead to me spending 8 hours writing a simple email to a principal for posted positions.(waste of time)

The only smart thing I did was immediately go to grad school. This is probably the only thing that kept me somewhat sane as some days I was able to convince myself it was no big deal I didn't have a job because I was still a "student". I'm in the middle of getting a Masters in Instructional Technology and I do think this helped me interview better. I was able to talk more about pedagogy, technology, and student centered learning because of the courses I was taking. I think elementary teachers learn a lot more about these things than secondary teachers(at least at my university they did) and this program helped fill in some of the questions I was struggling on in interviews.

Oh and while most of the people on this forum are great(really awesome advice) there are 3-4 who are seriously downers. Ignore them.