I got nothing DONE!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lat'e, Aug 24, 2011.

1. lat'e

lat'e Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

Today was the teachers first day back. Yeah! However, I can't believe I didn't get a thing done. :eek: I unpacked one box. I love how administrators plan last minute meetings on the first three days of school.:confused: I hope I can get something done by open house. Thanks for listening. I just needed to get this off my chest. :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2011

Some days are like that. You'll get it done.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 24, 2011

I come in a couple days early and start. I know that the first two days back nothing will get done. Mostly because I know those are our heaviest inservice days but also because I know everyone will be buzzing and catching up not to mention meetings will need to be scheduled along with a thousand other interruptions.

Even so, it does get done.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2011

I have already put in four full days just getting things set up, organized, unpacked, etc...We don't officially begin until next week but we know that nothing gets done in the classroom during those three days before kids come. It's time filled with meetings, presentations, people visiting, last-minute meetings, etc.... Hopefully you'll get some time to get your room ready. It is frustrating. That's why it's always a good idea to get in there before you have to come back. I know everyone isn't always able to. then, you just have to make the best use of the little time you get. You'll figure a way.

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

We started on Monday and so far, I'm feeling like I haven't done everything that I am supposed to for the week. My veteran colleagues seem to get ten times more work done than I do in the same time frame.. ._.

I'm getting things done, but I keep questioning whether or not it is enough or everything I'm supposed to do.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 24, 2011

Sigh...I'm sure it's irritating, but that's a type of irritation I wouldn't mind!

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2011

I started back on Monday. Technically we aren't required to show up until the day before classes started, but there's no way I could pull it all together on that day! So, I'm in 2 weeks early. I love it!! There is the freedom to catch up with colleagues, go for lunch and just enjoy visiting while working. It's so nice, because we tend to become hermits during the year.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

I've been in for four half days so far. We only have one mandatory day, next Thursday, but most teachers will be in starting on Monday. I went in early because I know that a lot of time is spent those first days talking, both catching up on the summer and planning for the upcoming year. I won't be going back in until Monday, but I feel good with how much I've accomplished already.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

You know what? It will all get done.

I think that one downfall to belonging to a forum like this is that we sometimes get a mistaken idea of what "HAS" to happen.

We read a thread on themes and think we need a theme. Then one on interactive bulletin boards and add that to the "need" list. Then another on a different thing than think we need that. And it builds and builds.

What you NEED is a classroom that's condusive to learning. Everything else is optional.

And what NEEDS to be done before the year starts is that the kids need a place to sit and you need to know what you're teaching. All the other stuff can happen in its own time. So, if necessary, a week after school starts you can unveil your classroom library if the books don't get unpacked before that.

Enjoy the start of a new school year. Don't pressure yourself to do more than you can actually accomplish. Take a step back and focus on the big picture-- your chance to work with these kids and teach them to love learning.