I got my last paycheck of the summer yesterday - who feels my pain?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

I've been dreading this! My old district offered 12 month pay, my new district does not. I saved some, but not enough. Oh boy.

I will pay my June's apartment rent today (due on the 1st) and I have enough savings to cover July's rent and some expenses but that's it. No play money whatsoever. Thankfully, I am working Summer school, so I can pay August rent with that. The only crappy thing is that I won't be getting that check until July 31st.

It's going to be a looooong 2 months! :mellow:

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 1, 2013

Ugh, that stinks! One of my girfriends is in the same boat (different county than me) and she hates it. She's also single and says that without a partner bringing money in she feels like she doesn't have much disposable income.

If they stopped offering 12month pay in my county, I would HAVE to have the money taken out automatically and I'd take the card to access the money and put it in the safe at my parents house because I would be so tempted to touch the money during the school year. I lose about $350 each check and believe me, sometimes I sit around dreaming about how beautiful it would be to have that money during the school year.

My second year teaching I transferred to a new county and did not know that my 12 month status didn't follow me. So the entire school year I was getting so much more money. I thought I had just gotten a raise since I'd moved up a step. Then around February, I went to HR about something else and mentioned summer pay and they were like, "Um, Ms. Catz, you are not scheduled for 12 month pay."

By then it was too late to change my status. I tried to save money but it was hard because once you get used to spending a certain amount, pulling back can be difficult (plus I was living with my parents back then and not paying rent, so all my money was going toward clothes, shoes, trips to see my boyfriend, etc).

That summer I had to live off my credit card and started the school year in serious debt that took me forever to crawl out from under.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2013

My stomach just dropped at the thought of that. I don't know that I have the money savvy to go that long without a check. Good luck! This will give you the chance to check out some of the free stuff in your area.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I don't miss those days. One year, I had to live the entire month of August using a credit card :down:
    :hugs: to you!

6. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

Yes. I save my tax return and work summer school to make up the difference. Although I'm married, we have two kids and a mortgage and need every dime I make, year-round.

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

At the last school district I worked at, they kinda did and kinda didn't do 12 month pay. They held our summer pay back for us during the school year and then we got it in one lump sum on the last day of school.

The day our summer pay was deposited was the best day of the year. You felt so RICH. However, if you didn't budget properly, it could be a bit disastrous. My first year, I thought I budgeted well. I thought, hey, I just have to make it to September, and budgeted accordingly. However, I forgot that we didn't get paid again until September 15, not September 1. It was a pretty lean two weeks.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I am so sorry! My last check comes at the end of June (my last work day is June 20th) and then I won't get paid until August 15th....

9. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jun 1, 2013

I also got my last check yesterday. My county doesn't have summer school... so that's it for me. My savings account is about to get cleaned out. It doesn't help that NC is really bugging me with all their cuts they are talking about for next year.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

We get paid again on June 30th, and it's a full paycheck, even though we only work 4 days. I love this, this is my first contracted teacher job, so my pay was never distributed like this before.
    I thought i was going to have to save enough in place of the July paycheck, but i'll be subbing enough in summer school and a year round location that it will be enough. First time subbing with a teacher's pay :)
    And then we'll start getting regular paychecks at the end of August, so it should work out. Just right now i'll be broke for 30 days because i just paid $3400 for 2 tickets to Europe. I wish i could have paid half now, half later.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

I feel your pain!
    We also go a full 3 months without pay.
    I find that fall is the most difficult time because of catching up, need for new professional clothes, etc.
    But we also receive more respect from the public...'oh, they don't get paid over the summer.'

I do not work in the summer because of 3 sons. Although I do the neighbors lawn work and in return I get to use their expensive toys on my lawn (lawn mower, edger, snow blower, weed whacker, fertilizer, etc.). We are going to stain their deck this week and in return they are purchasing my family of 5 Brewer tickets!

I pull out $100 cash from each pay check. That amounted to $2000.

I also save EVERY gift card I receive and use it in summer.
    During the school year, I try to buy gift cards and gas cards for myself and stash them for summer. While shopping, I will pass on an item telling myself to buy a $20 gift card at check out.

Anyone else have ideas on how to get thru the summer months without pay?

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

This is the first year that I've done year-round pay. I am loving it.

Finanically it makes more sense for me to keep the money and save it myself. But with interest rates the way they are I decided to give the state an extra few bucks and have the security of additional paychecks.

This time last year I was nervous about the $$. Now I'm not. We never ran out of money before this switch, but I was overly cautious. I cancelled vacation plans one year because the car needed repairs and I was too nervous about taking out that money from savings. We so could have done it anyhow, but my worry overshadowed our fun :( This year, it is business as usual!

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

We get 3 paychecks on the last day of school - for June, July and August. Like Shanoo, I feel SO rich until I think about how all that money has to last until September 15th. Money through the summer hasn't been an issue, though. I still travel and spend.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 1, 2013

We're on 12 month, but we get June, July, and August checks in June. I don't have any issues budgeting from June until the first new year check in September, but some people hate it. They finally started offering individual checks to people who wanted them.

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 1, 2013

At my old school, I was on a 12 month schedule. In my new district, you have two options: you can take a 22 payment schedule, with more money in each paycheck during the year, or a 26 payment schedule, where you get less during the year and a larger check at the end of the year. I chose the 26 payment, and I think it should work out. I kept out only the amount I would normally get paid, and put the rest into savings. Every two weeks, I will pull out the amount I usually get paid from savings. I will get two additional checks throughout the summer, totaling around $600 so that will help cushion. My next pay day is July 25th.

16. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 1, 2013

My first year teacher fail: I thought that I would save enough from my 10 month paychecks that it would be fine to just do that instead of 12 month pay. I have savings for July's bills, and I'm going to an interview for a summer job tomorrow. The bad news: $7.25 an hour and around 25 hours a week. It looks like I might need two part time jobs at this point! I can survive though. I had an extremely broke year of student teaching.

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

Our checks are spread over 12 months which is good for me. I could not handle the other way, on the other hand, my husband would hide the money from me to make sure that the money is spent in the right way.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

We will get June and July's checks in June. I put the July check in savings until the normal pay time then transfer it into checking for use. It's the only way to make sure I still have money in July!

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

I had deferred/12 month pay, but they're taking it away next year. I hate that! I prefer them to just take part of my check and stash it away where I can't see it. :whistle:

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

Ugh. I don't have this problem, but I feel for you. I'd like to think if I did get paid over 10 months I'd have some kind of savings account to put money aside for the summer...but I don't know if I could really put aside enough. (But I also live at home with my parents still and don't need to fill up my car as often during the summer so at least I'd be saving there.)

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

Why do they do that? What's the benefit for the school of only paying over 10 months?

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

We get our pay spread across the summer as well.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I think because it cuts down on administrative costs. With the current interest rates they don't recoup that by holding back a percentage of the pay.

Even though it is done electronically, there are still thousands of deposits that have to be monitored.

You'd think, though, that since they have to pay some people every month, that paying the teachers on a 12 month schedule wouldn't be that big of a deal.

24. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

I'm still a sub, and thus have similar issues (paychecks only in months after a month where I sub means no district check for August/September), though I do have a side job / am married (with her working too) but with no kids & still renting, so that does help. We do notice that we put less into savings towards our eventual house during those months, but thankfully never have any worries since we are so frugal throughout the year. I'll probably still go with the 12 month if available when I get a full time job, though my "money mindset" would honestly be the same way with either 10/12-month payments. Looking forward to, but financially not looking forward to when we eventually have kids and a mortgage here (hopefully soon)!

I'd imagine one piece would be that it would save them money in terms of HR resources (between the labor costs and the material/postage costs), but I'd bet that's only one piece of the puzzle.

25. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

I may be completely off base here, but I think I remember hearing at one point that the 10 month pay prevented creating deferred compensation which could cause issues with the IRS. I'm not sure at all about the specifics, but I think that's what was discussed when my district took away the option of 12 month pay.

26. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 1, 2013

My district only offers 10 month pay, but if 12 month were available, I would take it. We get by on my DH's salary over the summer, but it's definitely an adjustment not having my paycheck coming in. Many teachers I know work in the summer to keep the paychecks coming in, but I am looking forward to the time off with my kids.

27. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 1, 2013

Follow a strict budget using YNAB or Mint.

Including my emergency fund, I'm 6 months ahead of my bills. :)

I can't imagine life without a budget anymore...so much financial stress left my life the day I categorized my spending and savings!

28. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

What's YNAB?

29. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

I taught a year in Texas and we only got paid once a month. Back in PA, we used to have a 10-month pay schedule with all of the summer weeks' pay in one, lump sum in June.

In both cases, it's the same thing. You have to be disciplined and budget.

;)

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I'll be in this boat at the end of the summer. Unlike most employers, my current district didn't defer our first months pay if that makes sense. So at most places if you start working in August, you get a pay check in September, and then you'd get an additional check the month after you stopped working. We started getting paid right away, meaning my last check from them will be on July 31st. My first check for a full month's pay in my new district will be in October because we'll start late.

I'm doing summer school which will equal out to an August pay check, so at that's good...but I'll also be moving this summer which can be expensive too. I'm going to start by working on my grocery budget

31. redtop

redtop Companion

Jun 1, 2013

If you rent from a company with a real accounting system, you could overpay your rent. If it is $1000 a month, pay $1200 a month from September to June, then you will have a $2000 credit and won't have to pay rent for July and August.

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I did that once, even though i was renting from an individual. I couldn't afford to pay 1 month ahead total, but worked my way towards having $500 in credit for the month of December, so i could have extra money to spend on Christmas.

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I would have a really hard time with that...I get 24 paychecks per year.

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

We only get paid once a month, but year round is better for me.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2013

Pisces, I'm right there w/ you! :(:mad:

I'm scrambling to find work as we speak since I won't be returning next yr. I get paid once a month...on the 1st, so I had a PD today! My district gives the option to space it out over 12 mos, which I chose to do. I'll still have July & Aug PDs, but my Aug one will be small. I paid June's rent last week.

On my last day of work, I applied for UI to get the ball rolling. Today, I even applied for CalFresh for the 1st time in my life...don't know if I'll be approved. I also applied for a discount for my gas bill.

In the meantime, I have all summer to have fun, but no money to have fun with! :mad:

I do have a good amt of $ socked away, but I don't want to dive into it. My parents will always be able to help me too.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2013

Ms I, what happened with the potential job in your current school?

37. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

We get 11 full paychecks/year. We get paid the last day of each month except July. Summer tends to be difficult because we get paid June 30th but don't get another paycheck until August 30th.

This year, though, I'm teaching summer school (for the very first time ever)! The $$$ is wonderful, so I should do just fine this summer.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2013

czacza, no word yet. On the interviewing board, 2 of the 3 people were two of the biggest b's of all my SLP colleagues. It's hard to say if I'll be in the eligibility pool or not. I'm definitely qualified for the job.

39. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2013

The district I work in does 12 month pay also. I would have a hard time saving for the summer if they did not. I hope things go okay.

40. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 2, 2013

Me too, and I agree! I don't know how I would deal with not getting paid for the entire summer! :eek:

41. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

I get summer pay, DH does not. It's really though because my checks will pay our bills but we don't have any extra money. We've tried saving but life always gets in the way.