I got hired....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherfan, Jul 9, 2006.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 9, 2006

as a substitute (elementary)! I am very excited. I am thinking I need to bring stuff with me everyday to make my day easier. I am thinking I will need a whistle, bell, ez grader, things like that. Do you think I will need to bring extra crayons, pencils, pens??? What should I have in my sub bag of goodies?

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 9, 2006

Congratulations techerfan. :) I subbed for Los Angeles Unified, but they are Gigantic and I never needed to bring extra writing supplies, thankfully. However, I did have a few read-aloud books I'd bring along. Since I also know art I had a few art lessons in my "bag" in case there was a day I need it (like near-to-last day of school or something). The more I subbed with Los Angeles schools I became familiar with their Reading Anthology and I was able to pick up where the teacher left off, even if no lesson plan was left. This will come with time, however I also subbed for 5 years and I'm hopeful you have to do it that long. ;-) Once you begin subbing you'll get a feel for what you may want to include in your own supplies. It also really depends on the district you are teaching in. Do you know any other friends/colleagues in the district? Perhaps you could pick their brains on what to bring to be a quality guest teacher. (I never liked the term "sub", I also told the students I was their guest teacher for the day....it works!). Perhaps you could even call the Human Resources department and ask them a few questions. I know LA gave us a handbook and proper Substitute Teacher procedures, what to do in regards to taking roll, etc. Once you begin subbing, you'll also meet other guest teachers who can fill you in on their survival strategies.
    Anyhow, best of luck to you and again, congratulations. :)

4. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

congrats

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

Congrats!

I subbed at middle and high schools, so my bag would be a little different, but I always had:

1) A snack (who knows when break or lunch might be?)
    2) A bottle of water/cool drink of choice (Ditto, and make sure you'd want to drink it at room temprature.)
    3) Sweater/jacket (Yes, in FL in Aug, you might not be able to adjust the climate controls)

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

good suggestions so far! I used to leave the subs some peppermint candies as a pick me up. the whistle is an excellent idea for recess use.

also headache medicine, any feminine supplies that apply, deoderant (in case you get called for a job late and leave the house without it!), a change of clothes/shoes in the car (there was many a time a sub was not informed it was a field day or some special event and had on a nice outfit and heels), breath mints, a fave read aloud book...

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

also a set of plastic silverware in case you can't find any for lunch and anti-bacterial lotion

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

Yes, I definately went to the store and bought a box of forks, knives, and spoons and put them in my car. I can't count how many times I left my fork at home and had to eat my lunch without one. Trust me I did though, because I was starving.