I got ENGAGED! :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by laf-a-lot, Apr 27, 2009.

1. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

:):)now what?? hahah I am so excited and I am looking through bridal magazines to get lots of ideas...but it seems like all of the things in the magazines are going to be expensive! Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep this wedding as inexpensive as possible???

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

Congrats on the engagement!!!!

Next, find the things that you like in the mags and then see if you can't find them for cheaper or find someone that might be able to do it for you for cheaper.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2009

CONGRATS!!!

Don't be afraid to look at the sales racks. When I got married (in the 90s) I found a dress on the sales rack. I had the lady that sold it do me also did alterations, so I had her remove a few things & freshen up a bow & viola $150 a dress that was so me!! Bridesmaid got dresses the could wear again & shoes would you believe 3 pairs the perfect size shoes for $4 a pair, strappy sandals with heals. I know those were worn over & over as well!!! So my advice check out the sales racks. I don't know when you plan on getting married (you just got engaged), but I would keep an eye out on the prom, formal, nice dresses that are out at this time of the year for when they go on sale!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

Congratulations!!

When are you planning to get married?

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Best wishes!

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009

Have the wedding at a church that has a hall and have the reception there too.

Not only will it potentially save money, but guests don't need to drive across town to the reception. Things go much, much smoother.

8. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

Congratulations!!
    Finding a cheaper dress may be quite difficult, I think.
    If I were you, I would doublecheck on wedding parties tv shows, there you will get lots of ideas, it seems to me these programmes are quite useful...
    Congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!! - a question : How long have you been dating?-.

9. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

Um, a month a go my friend and his, now wife, went to the court house signed the paper and then had a party at Chili's.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

I am not sure what your size is... but often times you can find "sample sales". (That's what i did when I got married.) These are sample dresses girls TRY on- and then THEIRS is ordered.

Sometimes you buy them AFTER the season-but if you aren't getting married until next year...or if you don't mind wearing a dress with long sleeves in the summer...they are great.

I bought mine early, and chose to wear the longer sleeves for my June wedding. I figured that i am always cold in restaurants and churches - so it would suit me fine.

BUT LISTEN - a word to the wise! - DO NOT give them the correct date of your wedding! Tell them that you wedding is a few weeks BEFORE it is...because sure as shooting- they will STILL be working on alternations the morning of your "fake wedding day". Had it ACTUALLY been your wedding day (and God forbid they don't finish- or they don't do it right) you would be in a TOTAL panic!!

11. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 27, 2009

Congratulations!

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

Check out the grocery stores in your area... many do flower arranging.

A church or Veterans Hall could cut down the cost of the reception hall. Or if it's in the summer-consider the park district location with a LARGE shelter.

Have people bring their cameras to cut down the cost of a professional photographer (in this day of digital photography... that would be a great option).

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Congratulations! You'll be seeing a similar post when I get a hot, handsome date! :)

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

With that shelter- it you have it catered by a... place...ummm, see here caters go by names that would be different than near you. But one that I always used for my events (when I didn't want to cook - large birthdays/social events) you can get 2 entrees, sides, salad, and rolls for as little as $5.99 per person...and of course it goes up from there. And- just like a catering hall- you CAN go in for a tasting dinner to check them out.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

We did our entire wedding and honeymoon for under 10k-it was very nice.

We had the reception at the church in the hall with platters of pitas from one of my old jobs (very delicious and easy to eat while mingling), huge platters of fruit put together by a students' mother (fruit from the local grocery store) and Italian sodas/sparkling juice (no alcohol cut way down on cost). Our cakes was from a local small business run out of a home.

All our stationary was designed by dh and printed at Kinko's. We made our own invitations, which looked like giant ticket books-we printed them and cut them into thirds at Kinkos and then put rivets in the upper corner from Michael's, and then we perforated the ends with a tool from Michael's-people could tear off their RSVP postcard, their save-the-date fridge magnet, etc. Very cute, and very cheap. Programs were printed at Kinkos' as well, and our thank-you cards were from Target.

Our pictures were taken by a co-worker who liked to dabble in photography. We bought him a new memory card in exchange for him snapping candids and formals, and just giving them to us on a disk. We printed up books of pictures from an online program, and they look beautiful and professional. I think we got a buy-one, get-one-free deal so we got four albums for about $50, plus all our digitals.

I only had one maid of honor, and I told her to just buy a dress she loved. She found on clearance after prom, and her dress/shoes/jewelry was under $100.

We bought a digital video camera and had a friend video tape the ceremony, complete with hilarious cometary.

We had our rings custom designed by a local jeweler who worked out of a huge jewelry warehouse. He only charged us for materials and a tiny bit for labor-I got my platinum ring for about $300. Ask around-this is totally the way to go, as the ring is exactly how I wanted it, the exact replica of a 1k+ ring I saw in a store.

I had my hair done at a beauty school.

We had the church piano player play our music, which was beautiful and simple and cheap.

Our flowers were gorgeous, and bought the day before at Sam's club. We had buckets of white roses, irises, etc. for under $100. My mother-in-law arranged all the flowers in fun metal pails I got from the World Market, and I just carried a handful of roses she tied together with ribbon.

My dress was a bit of a splurge, but we saved everywhere else, so it was fine. I still have it on a dress form in my office-it makes me happy every time I look at it.

I think that's it. Our wedding came in around 8k, and our honeymoon was a two-week road trip through Canada, New York, Virgin and Michigan, for about 2k, I guess. Not bad!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

Join www.theknot.com go to communties and find your local board. The girls on there will tell you were all the best deals are. Also the trash to treasure board has girls selling dresses. I found my photographer on craig's list for about 2000 less than what everyone else was charging. I found my gown for 550 and the same gown at another more popular dress shop was 1000.
    Shoe I found at Marshall's (discount department store) for 20 bucks.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2009

Congrats!!!! I registered on theknot.com for tips on vendors and other info on the forums. Its also a great way to stay organized!

Do research and figure out what you want and what's important to you both for your big day. Also, having a smaller wedding party makes things cheaper in terms of gifts, flowers, etc....I never thought of that until recently (but to me its still very worth it).

I get married in less than 4 months....I can't believe it!!! :)

Also, theknot.com has a Do It Yourself forum that may be helpful. And if you have a Michael's store by you, you can get a lot of stuff from there...and you can sign up for their coupons and never pay full price! :)

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2009

Great minds think alike, Jaime! :lol:

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

I love the knot's budgeter.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

Elope!

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Mine is in 9 weeks! Eek!

We found a place that does the reception, ceremony, all the setting up and decorating, and dinner for 50 for $2500.

A friend is doing the photography, we're still working out prices with him, but we'll be getting a better deal than other weddings he's done.

Flowers from the grocery store. Trader Joes seems to have a better selection than Albertson's, so my grandma is getting them and driving them up the day before...

Bought my ring this weekend, it was 30% off so it was a much better diamond than I thought I could get for the price we were planning on spending.

Honeymoon- umm, not really. We're having our wedding in a vacation-spot town a few hours away. Df's parents are renting us a huge cabin to stay in for 4 nights with the wedding party. There will be 11-12 of us staying there, and it's less than $200 a night. We'll have a kitchen, so we won't need to eat out, and hotel rooms for that many people, even for less nights, would have cost more than that!

22. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

Thanks for all the ideas! They are great! My df and I have been dating since the beginning of college he proposed on our 7 year anniversary and we are looking to get married that weekend next year- April 11th. I think I found a place I love! I just have to go and make sure it looks the same as the pictures on the website! It's a beach on a lake and its BEAUTIFUL! Thanks again for all the ideas and keep em coming! :)

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2009

Congratulations! How exciting!

24. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 27, 2009

Make sure that beach on a lake also has a room in a lodge in case it rains!

We planned a lot of outdoor pictures and our reception line in this beautiful outdoor garden... it rained, the garden flooded..have a plan B.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

Make your dresses. Or have someone make them. My mom and grandmother cooked the rehersal dinner and we had the dinner in my parents house. We had a wonderful time. Since it was a buffet, we invited everyone.

Shoes don't have to be dyed to match the dresses, nice white shoes or black, will do.

Buy your flowers and have a friend arrange them--like others have suggested.

Ask for your friends to help with the wedding instead of giving gifts. One of my mom's friends made me handmade mints that were the star of the buffet table--instead of giving a gift.

26. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

Congrats on the engagement!!!!

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2009

Congrats! I almost can't blame what Cranmans says here. Yes, the wedding day should be one of the best days of a woman's life, but I'd much rather keep that money in my pocket for life's necessities after the wedding & do something less extravegent, rather than spending it all for one day.

Another thing to remember, don't worry about appearances & trying not to look cheap to your wedding guests. Who cares what they think. The main thing is getting married & spending a long & happy life together.

Have a nice honeymoon, but if you don't have money for some huge trip, don't worry, you can travel anytime.