I got chosen to teach summer school, and now I really don't want to do it. Advice??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 16, 2014

I signed up to teach a summer reading/math camp for students who didn't pass the end of grade test. There were several people who were not chosen and were put on the substitute list. I am supposed to start around the middle of July, and go until a week before school starts at the end of August.

However, I just found out that my brother has to have pretty extensive shoulder surgery around the same time, and really needs help taking care of his 10 month old child during the day. (His wife works outside of the home. He normally keeps my nephew during the day because he works Sat and Sun 24 hr. shifts at a power plant.) This would mean my son and I would have to go 500+ miles to stay with them for part of the summer. I really want to help them out, and they have offered to pay me. (Which I have totally told them was not necessary.) I would love the chance to get closer to my adorable nephew. My brother and I were very close growing up, and the miles between us has been hard. My husband is okay with it.

Do you think if I tell my district I can't do it anymore I will look like a total flake? I know several people who were not chosen, and would love to do it. I didn't sign an actual contract; it was a pretty informal paper that I singed. It just says to let them know 2 weeks in advance if I can't do it. I guess my main issue is the fear that they might never choose me to do it again.

Sorry for the LOOOONG life story.......but, what would you do?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2014

Family emergencies are family emergencies, and you wouldn't even be leaving the school in the lurch at the very last minute. I say let the school know that you very regretfully have to decline this opportunity to teach summer school. It'll be fine.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 16, 2014

Declining the summer school position to help with a family emergency is not the same as changing your mind because you want your summer free. Inform your principal that there's been a family emergency and you need to go out of town to care for your nephew while his father is recovering from major surgery, and while you appreciate being chosen, you'll have to pass this year. The earlier you let them know, the better, so they have sufficient time to inform one of the substitutes so that person can make the appropriate arrangements for their summer.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2014

What they said...

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2014

Agreed.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2014

The school will understand.

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 17, 2014

Thanks everyone! I tend to over think things. I let them know today, and everything was fine.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2014

This. Family first.

Work will always be there - waiting and calling.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 17, 2014

Agreed that the school will not mind...and think how thrilled the teacher who wanted to do it but was put on the sub list will be!

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Was going to chime in but it looks like it was resolved! Glad they were fine with it and I don't think you will regret your choice :) I hope you have a great summer with your nephew and your brother has a smooth recovery

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

Glad it worked out... Hope your summer with your family is GREAT!!!