I got challenged to a fist fight today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AlwaysAttend, Jul 17, 2012.

1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I got challenged to a fist fight today. I have a neighbor who doesn't respect boundaries. Yesterday I picked up 3 cigarettes and 2 beer caps off of the retaining wall on the side of my house despite our conversations about this.

Today I look out my window and see him and his children on a neighbors lawn (home is for sale and they don't live there, but pay to have the lawn maintained) playing wiffle ball. Then this grown man takes the bat to hit and proceeds to hit my car with the 1st ball and my house with the next one. I opened up the window and said "could you not hit my car and my house with the ball considering we have a park directly behind our houses" (maybe 100 yards away).

He decides the appropriate action to this in front of his two young children is to say that I am fat, complain too much, and that we should fight to settle things once and for all. I politely declined and reminded him that we needed to set a good example for his children and I will at least act like an adult (I'm 25 he's probably mid 30's or older). His response was to call me fat again and say that his children have an example. I said "have a wonderful day" and I closed my window.

Gotta love neighbors. Especially when your family pays around $10,000 a year in property taxes for very little land/house.

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Buy a Taser

[​IMG]

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Ick. How annoying to have a neighbor like that. :( I don't know what to say. I own two houses myself, one in a nice neighborhood (thankfully) and one in a pretty rotten neighborhood. I'm renting both out. I decided that I will never purchase another house again for fear of getting stuck with neighbors like yours. I much rather rent for the rest of my life.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

Ugh, neighbors!! :hugs: I hope mrachelle87 reads this one! :D

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Sheesh! :eek:hmy:

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Unbelievable. It just makes a person wonder what is wrong with some of these people?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

That would be a threat.:mad:

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

Exactly. To be precise, it is considered "communicating a threat". I would go to the local police and file a formal complaint. They may not follow up on it this time, but there will still be an official record of the complaint on file. If it happens again, that will be a second complaint and may warrant a "friendly visit" to the neighbor from them.

There is more than one way to win a fight. :cool:

10. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 17, 2012

Agreed with this. It's not a bad idea to start a paper trail in case the neighbor tries to escalate, vandalize your property, etc. Sounds like a complete jerk. I can't believe adults act this way. :dizzy:

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I'm hesitant to involve police in the matter because I don't want it to become a back and forth issue with one day him deciding to call the police and make something up. He stays home all day and most likely collects disability (even though he seems perfectly healthy to me) so he doesn't have to worry about background checks like teachers do (actually there is a chance he is his sons little league coach and if he is I believe they do background checks). I'd worry that even if my name was on a police report it would show up on future background checks. If someone would challenge someone to a fight in front of their children, are they above lying to the police just to cause problems?

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 18, 2012

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 18, 2012

As I said, the police probably are not going to get involved over something as minor as this - at least not at this point. He challenged you to a fist fight, but didn't approach you physically, so there wouldn't be much they could do at this point. However, filing a report about this incident WILL create a paper trail that can be referenced if any future incidents occur. This isn't really about the police doing something now, it is about them being able to show a documented history of behavior if things escalate with the neighbor.

As for background checks, that should not be anything to worry about. You are the one filing the report, not having the report filed against you. When my ex and I broke up, the guy she had been dating (during our marriage) ended up beside me at an intersection one morning. We stared each other down briefly, then I decided that was silly and looked away. When I did, the BF yelled a threat at me, saying he was going to "Get me". After consulting with my friends (one of whom is a policewoman), I filed a report about the incident with the local police. They took down the information and basically told me the same thing I'm passing on to you; there wasn't anything they could really do about a verbal threat or challenge made in passing, but if things escalated they now had documentation of the previous behavior.

This was long before I decided to pursue my teaching career. Since this incident, I've worked at least 4 different jobs (3 with different school districts) that required background checks and this incident has never come up.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2012

If you know where your local Cop or Deputy eats lunch buy him or her lunch and just ask some vague questions about how to handle something like what happened. He/she will probably ask you to cut to the chase and tell him/her, many police do not want families on their beat to have problems they may just go talk to them without giving your name.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 18, 2012

Police are not idiots. They can tell a jerk from a concerned citizen.