I got Bit yesterday and guess what?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by d12brown, Feb 2, 2012.

1. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

Feb 2, 2012

I still LOVE my job and my kids. They eat a bowl full of crazy most mornings, but they are great. My students all have AU and severe behavioral/communication issues. 2/3s are non verbal and the other 1/3 mimics or speaks in cartoons. But they smile and make me laugh every day. need a good sniff disguised as a peck on the cheek? I get that everyday! Need to play tag? Come see me! Need someone to say that you are the best? I got that too!

What do you love about your kids???

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Feb 2, 2012

This month alone I have loved:

-the unbridled joy of one of my students when we sang the Wonderpets theme song on the SMARTboard (and his dance moves)

-how excited my kids were to buy treats from the bakery at our grocery store on our CBI - and how well prepared they were and how well they did

-one of my highly impulsive "runner" students doing basketball drills in regular ed gym with peers after the wonders of video modeling

-how excited the kids get for our collaborative cooking group. One of my kids has dubbed himself "recipe master."

-one of my kids saw me taking work out of his backwards (open part turned toward the wall) desk and he gasped and said (shocked) Wow! A Secret CHAMBER!

-the most severaly impacted student I have ever worked with has started to use the toilet

-helping kids finally have a way to communicate

-the responses they have to things that are not typical..........but not wrong! And often make a great deal more sense than how neurotypical people react

-their honesty. When they love you they love you. When they hate you they hate you. No beating around the bush with their feelings!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2012

As a parent of these special children you speak of:
    I LOVE that my two boys have had amazing teachers. My husband and I have always seen the ABILITY and not the disABILITY ;your posts tell me you see the same thing. Thank you. I truly see you as angels on earth.

5. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

Thank you! You honestly made me tear up. The best thing you can do for your children's teachers is express this to them. Too often we feel unappreciated. :)

6. ignimbyte

ignimbyte New Member

Feb 3, 2012

Kind and encouraging words like this from parents and individuals, is what makes me look forward to working with the children, when I wake up in the morning.

Thank you. :)

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 3, 2012

As a special ed one-time teacher and current sub, what I love most about kids with special needs is that they are truly human. It can be hard to see that sometimes behind the stimming or the cursing or the walker, but they all have personalities, strengths, and needs; they aren't just a disabled person but a child or student first.

Also, I love the funny things that a lot of the kids say!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 3, 2012

Sounds like my students! I have not gotten bitten in a long time but yesterday I was bleeding from a scratch on my hand. They really try to be good most days.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2012

I'm not a sped teacher, but like most gen Ed teachers I have students with special needs and classifications in my room. I would have an issue with being bitten. That's not ok.

10. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

Was it ok? no. Is it the worst that will happen to me at my school? no. It is what it is. My campus pulls the worst behavioral/sped cases from our very large district and places them on one campus with teachers trained to deal with them.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2012

I have been bitten before by an upper elementary special needs student. I knew the child's history, what interventions were being tried and the progress the child has made. It didn't bother me. I reacted very calmly. I enjoyed that class.

12. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 4, 2012

Biting/hitting/kicking can often be a child's primary/only way of communication, as well. Not OK, but doesn't neceessarily mean the kid is trying to be a jerk, either.

13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Feb 4, 2012

I totally agree with talking with your child's teacher. I do teach sped but not severe. Several years ago I was teaching at a school that was quite a distance from my home. I signed my contract for the following year as I didn't seem to get a job closer to home. During the summer, I was hired nearby but the "farther away" school wouldn't release me. I was very upset but I did sign a contract. When I went back in the fall, the first day a parent of one of my students came into my room. She told me that she was so sorry that I didn't get the job near my home BUT she was thrilled that I was back to help her son. It was just what I needed to hear at tht moment. So even now when I feel like I'm not helping anyone or just plain down, I try to think about that. Parents comments do make a difference!