I got a stick bug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherSMK, Jul 23, 2008.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

And I need help knowing what to do with it!
    :blush: I went to our pet shop today with the intention of getting hissing cockroaches, but they did not have any...so I was looking around, and saw these guys, and had to have one!
    So, I got one, and a little "bug cage" it looks like a small aquarium, but it has vents in the top. I also bought the "soil" (coconut skin, shredded) and I got him some romaine lettuce, because the pet store guy said that is all he should eat, (lettuce wise) as iceberg lettuce will kill him/her.

:help: what else can I feed him/her? How often should I clean out his/her dirt? I put some twigs and a rock in there....is that too much?

:( I love it, I let my daughter (who will be in my class) name it Sally...so boy or girl, it is sally. :)

Any advice is appreciated, I have googled and it all seems very confroosing!

Thanks in advance!

~Sarah

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Sally the Stink Bug- cute. How big is she? I actually never heard of purchasing one. What kind is she? Brown? Black? I am curious.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Is it a stink bug or stick? -sorry-

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

She is about 3-4 inches long (body) with her legs stretched out, she is about 6-7 inches long. The guys at the shop said she can easily get to a foot long or longer.

She is brown and green.:D

It is really cool to watch her eat!

The gentleman also told me that he knows about 20 teachers in my town with them asclass pets! :wow:

I really am excited, I just really need to research her proper care techniques, and I think it is better coming from someone who has raised them successfully.:2up:

:)

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

she is a stick bug, also known as walking sticks, and stick insects. ;)

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

That is soo cool. I just googled them and looked at them and I have to say they are very intriguing!

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

COOL! I used to see them all the time when I was growing up at my parents house!

They are pretty interesting to watch! Good Luck with Sally!! :)

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

They do not bite, hurt the kids in any way, and the kids can hold them if they are gentle with them. My daughters love Sally! We are already talking about getting him/her a friend. They are definitely fun just to watch! (and they don't "hissss") I am not ruling out the roaches, but I think I am much happier with this little guy! (or girl) :)

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

HMMM. I know I was sort of sold on the MHC, but the stick bug has possibilities. I've never seen them in pet stores. I think I may start to look around.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 23, 2008

My husband caught one of those in the yard the other day. He brought it in the house and played with it. LOL

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 23, 2008

We loved our stick bugs.

Here is what we learned from many years of avid preschool research

all stick bugs are girls-no males.
    all stick bugs are raised in single parent households
    all stick bugs have the ability to reproduce ALONE.
    all stick bugs are technically "clones" the children decided. (not offical)
    congratulations you will now have a thriving community
    they can eat untreated blackberry brambles-but they are pokey so you might want them to not know that.

they lay egg cases
    from the egg cases come 10-100 tiny stick bugs
    stick bugs do not have larval/pupa/adult life cycles
    they are mantis cousins
    they can not move head like a mantis only mantis can
    they live in hot humid southern states of USA and other places
    they shimmy in wind-like a leaf?

so i hope you enjoy them as much as we did. I really liked them.

becareful ours drowned in the water to keep the romaine alive often.

we found if you puncture the top of a cheap rubbermaid cont enough to let the leaves stand and then add the water under the lid (where the food would go) the leaves can get the water but the bugs can't. always, always check the leaves for babies when you are changing them. they are so small-like a grain of rice.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Where are yours now? Do you still have them?

14. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I didn't realize they sold those at pet stores! I don't have any tips but let us know how easy they are to keep...sounds like fun!

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

The guy at the pet store said just to lay small leaves of romaine in the bottom of his home...and that they do not need a "water dish" just to wet down their dirt and taht it provides the humidity for him to stay hydrated....hmmm....more research. Alos, on the i-net it said that there are males, but tat they are def. more rare. He said that most of the females reproduce alone, but in order to produce male offspring, the females eggs need to be fertilized, otherwise, they do produce a bunch (up to 1,000 at a time for a large mommy) of almost identical to them, girls...he said if I didn't want a ton of baby sticks, to clean the eggs out when they are delivered, and I can bring them back to him, and that if she does lay eggs, it can take 2 months to a year for them to hatch?!?!/

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Amazing! So interesting! My mom's rose bushes always attracted mantis, I'd find them as a child, I didn't realize the diff between a walking stick and a mantis ... but they are such neat guys (gals). Cool!

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I think it either laid eggs tonight or stuck its "poo" to the side of the container...I tried to knock it down off the side and it fell off really easily...I do not want 100 of these things...anywho

another question, especially for those of you that have ever had these things....do they "salivate" on the sides of the container/aquarium, and is this normal...aaarrrggghhh I am so worried that I am doing something wrong and that she is going to die that I can't sleep....sheesh, it is worse than having a newborn...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

Oh my. Let us know how it's going.

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

well, she made it through the night...I am going today to look for a bigger home for her, and to get her a friend...one for each daughter...I just hope she survives...she does seem to be doing okay today though. I will update this evening when I get home. ~ Sarah

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

more info

:yawn: K, so, after a very looonnnggg night, I took my daughters back to the petctore today to get "sally" a friend...the result: "Sam"...I am now the proud owner of two Indian Stick bugs. They also got a nice new-to-them condo, which I believe is a twenty-five to thirty gallon aquarium with a nive vented lid. I put in some nice branches, and a couple leaves of romaine. I think that since they have started to settle down, so have I, and for that I am grateful. FOr those of you that have had them before...are they supposed to leave droplets of what appears to be saliva, on the sides of the vivarium? Thanks for all you encouragement, I will take a few pictures after I get them settled in my classroom, and I will let you know how they do! :)

21. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

Oh how awesome never would have thought to have them as pets. i chose tiny mice for classroom pets . The females do not pee everywhere so they do not smell like the males. I have all females because the males will eat the females from time to time.
    I think i will check out the sticks and see about getting me one. Thanks for such a good idea.
    Posts some pictures soon please :D

22. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I want a stick bug! Did you buy it in a pet store chain or one that is individually owned? I have found them outside, but have felt bad that I was taking it from it's environment, and have let them go. Last year I raised baby prying mantids, but only a few made it and I let them go at the young stage. I have a ball python that the kids at my school love. I've had fiddler crabs in the past, but they didn't prove to be to hardy.

23. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I bought them at a private pet store. The store owner told me that in warmer states that this is the time of year to "gather" them. They aren't "family" bugs...in that they live together well, but once the eggs are laid, that's it...there is not a family system.

~Mine are getting along well...the bigger one is eating like a horse, but the smaller one seems to still be traumatized by the move. They have both done the swaying movement today, (google it :)) and that was super cool. I know my little ones at school are going to love them, as my own children can hardly stay away from them!
    I am not allowing them to be held yet, as they (the bugs) have had a rough couple of days already. However, I have held both of them, and I will tell you it is STRANGE! They grasp on, and do not want to let go! I have to pry them off with a stick....literally!
    I am so excited for the new school year, and to be honest am grateful that God showed me theses little critters when I was looking for something else. That is so cool, imho. Thanks for all the support...I will keep everyone updated! ~ Sarah, the stick bug lady ~ :0)

24. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

So I told my hubby (who is also a teacher) about it and at first he was like "No pets" because we got hermit crabs before school last year and they decided to molt then once they came out from the sand (if they did) they died. Then he was intrigued when I told him that they had little clones. He looked it up online and now he wants some too! We have a bearded dragon who is going in his room but maybe now I can get some stick bugs :).

How much did they cost?

25. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

They were 4.00 each..and very much worth it! I feed mine romaine lettuce...they can't eat iceberg...and you just have to spray their environment with water, so the humidity is higher. Mine seem to be doing really well!

I am going to get two more before school starts...then I will have Sally, Sam(antha), Sue, and Sweet Pea!

I will also tell the parents that if they want to, they can also purchase a stick bug for the classroom. (insert huge YAY! for stick bugs!) They are awesome! :):):)

26. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

You should see if you can get leaf insects too! It would be funny to arrange the leaf insects on the walking sticks! :lol:

27. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I saw this on Wikipedia:Many stick insects are easy to care for, and make good pets. The Indian (or Laboratory) stick insect, Carausius morosus, requires a tall (25+ cm) vivarium (even a jar with a few holes punched in the top), some bramble, ivy, privet and lettuce and an atmosphere at room temperature. Indian stick insects are all female and reproduce by parthenogenesis and seem content living on their own. Occasionally part-male part-female individuals are reared in captivity, but never true males. The stick insects molt and may eat the shed skin. By the sixth molt the stick insect will lay eggs.

I would wait until Sally and Sam have their 6th molt and lay eggs before I bought any more! You'll be sending stick bugs home with your students!

28. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I read that it takes up to a year for them to hatch, though...good advice...maybe I will wait and see how the reproducing sticks do on their own...:lol: Thanks~ Sarah