I got a LTS position

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bridgetbordeaux, Aug 2, 2012.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 2, 2012

Last year I subbed, mostly at one school. In November, they called and asked me if I wanted to interview for a parapro job in SpEd.
    I had subbed there and liked it so I took the job for the experience and to show that I was interested in working in any capacity even though I am a certified teacher. Long story short, county got rid of all part year hires as a way to save money. I told the school I would sub again this year. They called me in June to ask if I would do a maternity leave and of course I accepted. Jobs are still hard to get in this county,
    30,000 applicants for 384 jobs!

Question: Do schools usually interview for a long term position or do they just ask people they know are interested? I didn't interview, just said yes over the phone. Hope I am doing the right thing and am very excited to start in October.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

I had to interview for my LTS position. Congrats! Have you signed any paperwork or anything?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

It depends on the school. First my first child, my team teacher recommended a sub in the district and she was given the position with no interview. For my second child, they interviewed for the position.

Good luck and congrats!

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

In my district there are no interviews for LTS positions. The teacher has the ability to select anyone he/she wants as long as they are a sub with our district.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

I haven't heard of having to interview for an LTS, but I've read on these boards that some areas of the country require it.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Wow, I'm shocked that anyone could be hired for an LTS position without interviewing. Around here, interviews and demo lessons are standard for anything more than a one month position.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 2, 2012

The district I subbed most in never posted LTS positions even though there were LTS's so I imagine they don't interview either.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

I'll add that for the first position I ever had, which was a 5 month LTS position, not only did they post it, but there were over 250 applicants.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Around here, the competition for LTS jobs is almost as fierce as it is for regular contracts. Panel interviews are common although I've not heard if having to do a demo lesson unless you are in for a year.

11. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I can't imagine interviewing for a long term sub position. Around here the beauty of being a sub and subbing at the same schools all the Time is that you build relationships with the staff. Then they recommend you to other people and choose you for ALL of their assignments. A guy that regulary subbed at my school last yeat subbed for 3 teachers during their maternity leave (6-8 weeks each). That might have not happened if he had to interview for all of them.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

In October when I got my LTS position, I didn't interview, actually I didn't even apply. I didn't even know there was a position open, the P approached me and said that she created it for me.
    At the same time another school district where I subbed called to offer me a LTS sub position which I turned down. It seemed though as if all I had to say was yes, without any interviews - it was going to be for 2 and half months, or maybe more.

It just depends on the district / school / situation.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

I think it all depends. Last year my principal interviewed for a maternity leave that was at the beginning of the year. Later in the year they gave a maternity leave to a girl that just finished her student teaching without interviewing. There is a teacher on my team that will be going on maternity leave at pretty much the same time my student teacher will be finishing up. If all goes well she will probably be able to slide into that position, especially since she will already know the students.