I GOT A JOB!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Noel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 27, 2007

First of all let me apologize for the length of this post! It is a little bit of a long story but....

I have taught 1st grade for the past 3 years in a private school, this would have been my 4th year there. Well last Thursday, I got a phone call from my local school district from a friend of mine who works there asking me if I would be interested in a Elementary Technology Teacher position. Of course I said yes, even though at the time I wasn't sure, this is my dream district. So anyway my application package wasn't even at the school yet, but I e-mailed my resume, completed and dropped off my application pack and electronic portfolio on Friday morning.

Saturday morning my Dad passed away (he had been battling Lou Gehrig's disease for the past 23 months). Monday morning the district calls me (my friend again) offers condolences and asks if there is anything they can do...then say that they know the timing is terrible but could I come in sometime last week for an interview.

I had some free time on Tuesday morning, services were scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday, so I went. 2 principals and supervisor of Math and Science interview me. First they offer their condolences, ask if there is anything they can do, do I want to talk about it before we start. Couldn't have been nicer! Then interview me, ask me to step out for a few minutes, bring me back in and tell me that they know that I am under a lot of stress so they don't want to make me wait and offer me the job.

Today I met with the Superintendent (who happens to be one of my old teachers) discuss salary and benefits, (which double my salary from the private school) My name was put before the board tonight, I was approved and now I am official!

I had to resign from my current job tonight which was hard to do, as I knew all of the kids coming into my class b/c the school is small and I had some of their siblings.

I am nervous and excited and scared. This is a big achievement for me, I am a career changer, and since k-5 is so competitive, it is a great break for me! After thinking about everything I realize that this is a great marrying of my business and teaching skills. I will work 2 days in one elementary school and 1 1/2 days in the other two. So all 3 elementary school principals will know me really well by the end of the year so if I want to move around next year I will have already worked with all 3!

Sorry for the length of this post, but I just had to share it with those who would truly understand!

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2007

Do not apologize it was perfect

First I must tell you I was tearing up while I wrote this.
    2nd My condolences
    Now I am willing to bet that your dad pulled some strings for you from way up high :angel:
    You should make it your goal to do your best as a way of honoring him.
    Talk to your Dad in your quiet moments.

When I lost my Mom, 5 hours later my Granddaughter was born It was as if my mom handed me the reins of grand parenthood.

Well, I bet your dad is bragging up in heaven saying look what My Kid did.

God bless

4. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I'm sorry for your loss...but you have the best guarding Angel ever. He as probably smiling and very proud of you.

Congratulations.

5. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I am so sorry about your dad. Good for you! What an opportunity :D Congrats!

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2007

Hooray for you and I know your dad is happy for you.
    This is your foot in the door for sure. Double the salary?
    Nice raise. Happy days...............

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2007

First I am sorry to hear about your dad, I lost my mom 2 years ago. Second, Congrats on the job!!! I know that you'll do a great job.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for posting; we like to share the good and the bad here.

9. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

as everyone else has expressed, my condolences to you in your loss - I have lost a father myself and it is never easy - even 10 plus years later!

but... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! it is always great to get in the best district and go from there! :)

good luck!!