I Got A Job!!!!!!! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Anne Marie, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

I got a job!! I am very excited, but also nervous. Anything I should not forget to put up in my room??..I know the basics..such as rules, but anything that I should be sure and put up. I got 3rd grade..so if there are any 3rd grade teachers out there, please feel free to post advice and/or suggestions!
    Thank you!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2005

Petunia

So happy for you. You have a great start. Read thru your teachers manuals and state standards. Petunia

4. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Congratulations! It will be nice to have so many first year teachers to share advice and worries with on here!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2005

Congratulations. Be yourself and remember to enjoy the experience. Teachers change their methods and plans constantly. There is no one right way. Use the search feature to find another thread about what to put on the walls. It was thorough. Good luck!

6. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 10, 2005

I also was hired this summer for 3rd grade!! I am in the same position you are, thinking about what I want up in my room. I got lots of great suggestions about what to put on my walls in the other thread. Congrats on the new job!!!!

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2005

Congrats Anne Marie :) Good luck and have a wonderful school year.

8. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Look through your curriculum guides for ideas for posters. You can do a word wall, behavior charts, homework charts. I have an Art Gallery- where we hang up the students art work. You can also look through teacher supply catalogs for good ideas.

9. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Thank you for the replies and encouragement!

10. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Which thread are all the suggestions on? Congrats to you as well!!! :)

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2005

I taught 3rd for 5 years and loved it! Such a great age and a good place to start. Fundemental things I had in my classroom were:

1. Place to turn in work
    2. Reading Nook
    3. Reference Section- dictionaries, atlas, globe, etc.
    4. Job Wheel
    5. Attendance- I bought die cut shapes, put numbers 1-25 on each, and put magnet on back (if you have metal or do velcro). Divided section into hot/cold lunch. Students were responsible for doing it every morning.
    6. Behavior management system in place.
    7. Know the rules you'd like your kiddos to aim for. I used to give them scenerios and have them "create" rules for each. These lead the kids to decide what was important to them- hands and feet to your own property, raise your hand, clean up after yourself, etc. Great way to let them feel as though they have input in creating the classroom community. Post rules on a poster board, have children trace hands, cut and glue around written/typed rules, post in plain view for all students to see on a daily basis. Can be a gentle reminder-you can tell them they agreed to the rules-their signature/hand is right there on the rule poster.
    8. Proofreading marks poster or bookmark
    9. A system for what to do when they are done. I had an "independent work machine" folder that they worked through everytime they finished work- it was a flowchart of sorts that they put a little sticky note on to mark their place. Read or write independently, then move to answering questions, or math skills practice, etc. really worked well- ideas are limitless!
    10. US, world, state maps
    11. Writing process or whatever system your district/school uses- traits, etc. to focus on.
    12. System for sharpening pencils.
    13. Restroom rules, passes, etc.
    14. Teacher mailbox to catch notes from home, office .
    Have a great time! :D

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2005

Congratulations! One thing my class and I like to do is keep a poster (or blank chart paper) on which we keep a list of books we have shared - both novels we have read together, and books I read aloud to them. We usually have 3-4 posters filled by the end of the year. During the last week we talk about the books again and they vote on their favorites- this helps me decide what to use in the future.

13. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

Great idea about the books read poster. I might "Borrow" that for this year. Thanks!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2005

Congrats!

Congrats, Anne Marie!! I too will be teaching third grade this year. This is actually my 3rd year teaching, but its the first time I've taught 3rd grade since I student taught.

I wouldn't completely cover every wall...first of all, you'll run out of money doing it!! But also, you'll want to leave room to hang up student's artwork. I didn't do that enough last year so I'm changing that for this year. I also make sure I have my schedule up on the wall...the days and times we have special subjects. Since I'm changing grade levels this year, going from 2nd grade to 3rd, I'm putting up the cursive alphabet above my chalkboard. We started that in 2nd grade, and this year they are expected to do more of it:)

I also have a special place where I hang up any certificates, awards, or special letters we get so the kids can always see them.

I know there's more to stuff I can tell you, but my mind is drawing a blank. I'm sure I will post again soon!

:)

15. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

Probably the best piece of advice I could give you is to check out this website: http://www.mspowell.com
    Mrs. Powell seems to be an absolutely phenomenol 3rd grade teacher who has developed this web site to help new teachers. She has a tremendous amount of advice to offer that is "pratical" for real teachers. Enjoy! ;)

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2005

That's AngelaS's website. She used to be a regular visitor at the forums - We miss her! She does have an excellent website. :)

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2005

Yes, where is she??