I got a job! but still a little undecided...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by inspireNteach, Jul 22, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

So I interviewed with a principal early this morning and I just got a call that they want to hire me! :woot: I told them I was really excited, but I wanted to go home and think on it and give them an answer by noon tomorrow.

The kicker is the school is a 50 minute drive :( I have tossed around the idea of moving closer to work, given my apartment lease is month-to-month. But where I live now is closer to the college where I hope to pursue my master's degree.

The other downside is I interviewed with another school and am waiting to hear back. It is working with in-school suspension students :unsure: BUUUUT it is only a 20-minute drive.

I worry I would have to "put in," more time and effort with the ISS kids...I would have to read up and learn more about classroom management and dealing with defiant students. All this on top of pursuing my master's degree. Not to mention, there really isn't any instruction/learning going on in ISS. So maybe the other job would look better on my resume. But is the drive really worth it for parapro pay?

Which one would you take and why?

3. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Congrats! I would go with whichever job is going to give you the better experience. I think if you can be successful with the ISS one, it provides for more stories to share during an interview because you will have gained so much experience in classroom management and dealing with challenging students.

Something I used for my classroom management during student teaching was Class Dojo (www.classdojo.com) - my students LOVED it and worked really well for me. Not sure if you've heard of it or not, but check it out and see if it's something you could use.

However, I hear you on the 50 minute drive bit. I had to leave at 6:30 every morning to be at my school by 7:30 for student teaching and I hated it. Maybe make a pros/cons list for both and decide that way?

Good luck!! :)

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

What is the pay for each position?

I'm a TA and every year my pay goes up..i will be on salary now which makes a huge difference with snow days, early dismissals, etc. we have a union and I get amazing benefits! But I also drive almost 30 minutes to the new school i'll be working in at the end of August :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

Take the job you've been offered. Find a place to live that's halfway between work and college.:2cents:

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

Good luck ;)

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 22, 2013

If you get the ISS job I would take it since its much closer. With the ISS job you basically tell the students to sit there and be quiet and do whatever work their teachers send for them. You do not allow them to talk, use their phones, or sleep. If they do any of those things then you send them to the office and they get OSS. That was at least how it worked when I had to cover the ISS room for a period when I was student teaching.

You would probably even be able to work on your masters work while you were in the class.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Totally.

No matter the pay, I wouldn't want to work with students in ISS all day, every day.

I commuted 60 min one way to work for 3 months until I could move closer to my job. I never regretted it.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

My first thought as well.

Congrats on your job! :)

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 22, 2013

A parapro/ISS teacher might make about $800 a month in GA(before taxes, benefits, ect). Some counties a little more. A 50 minute commute each day would take probably 1/2 of your check for gas depending on what kind of car you drive.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Well if it's any consolation I drive 70 miles one way to work and I have no way of moving closer to my school. I had been interviewing for positions closer to home, but have since pulled all of my applications and confirmed continuing at my current school--no one seemed to be particularly happy that I'd be missing the first 2-3 months of school for maternity leave. Now that's a surprise !! :)

So IMO, 50 miles isn't all that long, but that's because I'm used to an even longer commute. Personally, I'd accept the job offer. In January I started as a first-year teacher as an alternative teacher and despite learning a ton, the alternative-like environment is one that you have to have a calling for, I believe. So, it really just boils down to which one is going to be the most edifying experience for you. A little bit (a little bit, not a lot!) of extra travel time isn't a bad thing for a better experience.

13. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I accepted the job offer today :) Will be looking for apartments about half way between work and school.

Thanks, everyone!!!

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

I was just about to post and suggest you take the job, but I see you already did :). Congrats and best of luck on finding an apartment half way between work and school.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

Congrats!!! What will you be teaching?

16. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

Thanks! This is just a parapro position in a middle school. I'll be starting my classes for certification in January so hopefully I'll be actually teaching one day :)

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

Congratulations! Don't sell yourself short...parapros are highly valued members of a school :thumb:

18. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 23, 2013

Congrats on your new job.