I got a job......and a signed contract

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Sep 11, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2014

So for those of you who haven't heard yet, I got a job! I signed the contract today. I am now a Resource Room teacher for 2-4 grade.

I was terrified I had made a bad choice, that the job was open because no one would work at the school and that I would end up working a job I hated while living in my dh's car. (yeah, yeah, I can be a bit of a drama queen when I am worrying about things)

The staff was waiting for me, worried when I didn't arrive when I had planned. They were coming out of the woodwork and offices to greet me when I got there. They had already set up my staff email, got me a desk and put me in with the other new teacher and our mentor so we can get all the support we need. I have a HUGE budget ($750) but they are so well stocked I have no idea what I could possibly want (any suggestions on how to spend that money?)

My sister and I used TONS of my data searching for apartments on the drive over, and only one place let us make an appointment today. I was a little upset because there wast this one building that I just wanted to see......

Well it seems my sister made the appointment with them and didn't catch on we were talking about the same place. I had to sell my baby, my beautiful yellow beetle (everyone should cry at this, that beauty got me to Vegas and back with no issues) to afford it, but I signed a lease for a beautiful one bedroom (a Tiny 600 sq feet, just like I wanted) on the waterfront. It is in a restored art deco building with hardwood floors, glass door knobs, a bay window, stainless steel appliances and SIX CLOSETS! One of them is a build in dresser. So I get to live Tiny and in a historic home, just like I have always wanted. My Dh is thrilled because the parking lot is valet with 24 hr security, the front desk has 24 security, there is a gym, laundry on site and there are no ugly areas. If I want to go somewhere other than my apartment I can to go one of many reading nooks......oh and the vintage library is almost ready to be reopened......with the books that were put in place when it was built in the 20's!

I move Tuesday and I am thrilled. I am glad I went to Vegas, grateful for all I got out of that trip, but I think I will be very happy in Detroit. Best part, I am close enough to go see my kids and grandkids every month.

So anyone have any advice on teaching resource to 2nd to 4th graders????

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 11, 2014

Soooooooooo happy it's all falling into place!!!

And remember Vegas wasn't a complete waste, you did have delicious In n Out Burger!!!

I have no advice as a resource teacher, but I wish you the best of luck this school year!

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Sep 11, 2014

Congrats! We are so excited to have you. The kids need a lot of love here but will rise to your expectations, and the city is full of hidden gems :)

Riverfront, sounds like a dream! I couldn't afford a place in Detroit, believe it or not. (Yeah, it's come that far!) but I hang out there frequently and of course work nearby. Let me know if you ever need any recommendations. I hope you love it here as much as I do! You deserve it!

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2014

Even better I got to spend the time with my son!

I was even a failure at gambling, I never did figure out how to put money into a slot machine. There is one machine at the Wild Wild West with a nickle stuck in the slot where tickets come out.......sorry......:eek::whistle:

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2014

Maybe we could meet up and go to one of those little restaurants. As for affording it, I have my husbands pay to ensure it is all covered. And really it is less than we are paying here on the West side of the state once you add the rent and utilities.

Oh and my river front is half river front half parking lot.....but as long as I dont' look down, it isn't a problem. That is how I made it work.....lol.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2014

:thumb:

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 11, 2014

AWESOME!!!!!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2014

Congrats!

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Sep 11, 2014

Congrats! You deserve it!

11. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 11, 2014

Congratulations! Very well deserved!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2014

Congrats, wldy! So glad everything has fallen into place for you.

13. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 12, 2014

Very Good luck wishing you a huge success ahead

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 12, 2014

Great news!!! So awesome that you found a decent district who doesn't screw up paperwork!!! Your apartment sounds really nice and I would be in that library ALL the time!!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2014

Relieved! Hopefully you'll be able to pick up a new (or gently used) car soon.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2014

Congrats!!

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2014

The good news is I have my husband suv.....I hate it, it's huge (a bravada) but as that one isn't paid off, that one had to stay....once it is though....dh had agreed to sell it and get me another small car. I think I will get a new bug......or the fiat 500 .....or a mini Cooper....hummm. maybe it's a good thing that truck won't be paid off too next summer...huh?:lol::haha:

18. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

That's fantastic!! So happy it all worked out for you, just the way it should.

I am a Resource Para and I loooooooove it!

I work with small groups in 2nd, 3rd & 4th grade....i also do an hour every morning in Kindergarten :) helping with Center Time....can't ask for better than that!

19. teachart

teachart Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

Definitely!

20. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 13, 2014

I have been reading you job search saga and just wanted to say congratulations.

21. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 13, 2014

yay!!!!for some reason, we sometimes have to go through the storm to get the sunshine :) i hope you enjoy every minute of it, and congrats on finding a place you will love to go home too!

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2014

I'm so glad the window has opened for you! That darn door that closed was nasty!!

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2014

Thanks everyone

My biggest issue right now is in terrified, so terrified I can't eat......so afraid I'm going to screw up somehow.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2014

No, no, no. You are due this one!

25. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Sep 13, 2014

Congratulations!!!! I wish you all the best in your new job :)

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

Wldy, from years ago to here, you've worked so hard for this. I wish you the best!

27. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 14, 2014

Detroit has no ugly areas ?

28. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Sep 14, 2014

Congratulations! Everything sounds amazing and it seems as though you landed in a wonderful spot! Sometimes what we don't expect is where we are meant to be. :)

29. teachart

teachart Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

I believe she was referring to her neighborhood.

I was helping my friend look for houses in one of the worst Detroit neighborhoods the other day, and it honestly wasn't that bad. We rang doorbells to talk to neighbors since safety can be a block by block thing, but everyone was incredibly friendly and watched out for one another.

30. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2014

Detroit is not perfect, BUT it is a city that is fighting its way back. Yeah, when I was apartment hunting I saw houses that were abandoned and burned out.......but the next street over I saw houses with well kept gardens, empty lots turned into community farms, and safe streets. Detroit hasn't allowed it's decline to be the definition of the city like some places has, they are working to bring the city back from the brink in a thoughtful, reasoned fashion.....even if that means greening entire blocks that once housed many homes.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

Detroit is a beautiful city with tons of gorgeous, historic homes.

People only know what the see/read. And for whatever reason, only negative stories make the news.

Nicole Curtis (The Rehab Addict) is coming back home to Detroit. She's already started on one house, and I believe she plans on living in it once it is completed. She has purchased a second house already, as well. I know her audience isn't huge, but hopefully it will shine a positive light on Detroit and its homes.

32. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 14, 2014

Wldywall congrats on siging your contract and everthing! I'm going tomorrow after my part time job, which I have to find a way to quit. I have to stay over night because I have to be fingerprinted by the local PD the next day.

I totally know how you feel. I'm already getting nervous about teaching 7th grade social science. I did a two units near the end of the school in student teaching, but the rest of my SS experience is teaching 8th. I hope I make it exciting for the kids!

33. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

Well let me know if you need any help with the new grade level, I have taught social studies at 6,7 and 8th grade level.

As for me this will be my first time in Elementary......I'm terrified I will lose someone! 2nd to 4th graders are fast! Thankfully it is only resource....but still......