I got a Christmas bonus!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

Ha-ha! Made you look. :p My sister gets a month's salary - she's a bank VP. Cha-ching. So hating her right now.

Beth

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

I used to work at a Day Care that gave Christmas bonuses. It was based upon how much money they made during the year. Of course, during the 2 years I worked there, no bonuses were given. I taught in a PS about 30 years ago, and got a bonus for every child over a certain number. I made a lot of money there.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2010

I got a Christmas bonus at one of the schools I worked at (my first year). All of us teachers got $50. Not much, but it was an unexpected surprise thanks to the parent-teacher club. :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

I used to get a Christmas bonus at the daycare I worked at. Not much, but it was extra money. My dh always got bonuses where he worked for Christmas. Some years were really good!

Bella~I'm hating your sister right now too! :) A whole month's salary?!?! WOW.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2010

We get bonuses now and then. Sometimes they come at Christmas time but this year we got them a few months ago. I'm at a private school and we never know when the next one is coming so it's a nice suprise when it does!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2010

LOL Well, at least she'll be able to buy you a nice Christmas gift!!

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

We get a yummy box of See's chocolates and some lovely, crisp $100 bills from our director each year. I always save it to pay for plowing and planting in the spring...it's my garden fund.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

We get a tax check each year in December, a second in January, and a third in June. Our December check is usually around $600 so it's VERY nice at that time. Since our December check usually comes so early (and is spent so quickly) it's nice to have the 2nd check in January. It amkes the 5 1/2 weeks for that check not quite so tight.

10. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

Sneaky trick! I used to get a $100 bonus each year...it was so nice!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

Our school has an 'annual fund' that parents are asked to contribute to. They then divide it up among the teachers for bonuses. The catch? Parents aren't suppose to get us gifts-just write a check to the school, and then the school decides how to divide the money up based on merit of the teachers. Two of my parents have donated $700 that I know of, yet I am not guaranteed to see any of it... the directors decide who gets it. Boo.

12. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 4, 2010

Based on the merit of the teachers??? Jem, that's horrible. Its Christmas and everyone is worthy of being recognized.....I can't imagine how my staff would feel about me if I doled out Christmas gifts based on who I deemed worthy! :dizzy: Unbelievable!

13. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

I wonder if the parents are aware that the money may not be going to their child's teacher. I would not give money if I wasn't sure exactly who it was going to. And based on merit? :eek: It's a Christmas gift.

When I worked in a different district we used to be able to turn into up to 3 sick days for money in December. It was awesome!

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 4, 2010

Oooh, that would be awesome! Heck, I'd turn them in for even 25% of a days pay. There's no way I'll ever use all my sick days. Well, obviously a way could happen like a serious illness, but you know what I mean. On a side note, I wish I could donate my sick days to a coworker going out on maternity leave. I'd love to give her an extra week to stay at home paid.

And the last time I saw a holiday bonus I too was working at a bank. It was usually a half month's pay. That was nice!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

My bonus is the excitement in my students' eyes during this season, their joy in making cards for their families, my school's generosity in raising money for the county food bank. Families come in to my class and share their traditions: spinning dreidels and eating latkes, making gingerbread houses and snowmen ornaments, reading books about traditions and sharing a bit of themselves with us. Yes, I will get lovely and generous gifts-I teach in a school with supportive parents in a high SES district, but the real 'holiday bonus' is felt in the heart.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

Your school website lists a $500 donation to the 'scholarship / teacher benefit fund' as a 'mandatory expectation'. I doubt that parents give any thought to how it is awarded, they just write the check because it is required. The site lists the fund as going to scholarships and improving teacher benefits-one would think that meant ALL teachers. :eek: sad if it isn't really that way.:sorry: What do the other teachers say about the fund distribution?

17. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

We get 3 paychecks in December ..so its like a bonus :) Not really a bonus but that extra check does help in a month where I spend more money than normal.

I would rather my students not give me gifts, many are struggeling to get by and even a small gift still is money that could be spent on shoes, socks, a coat as many of my students lack these items.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

My husband gets a month's salary and I get a $100 giftcard.

19. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

20. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

Well, we got an extra $600 ($524 after deductions) on our November check from some fund where it was legal to do so. The school board approved it for all school employess. Of course, some folks complained that we ( teachers) didn't deserve it.
    They don't call it a bonus though, just a one time payout. We didn't get a raise this year so it helped.