I got a 198...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chrissteeena, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

… with the passing score being a 200 on the FTCE. I took the test back in April, got the scores in early May and decided not to talk about it for a while. :mad:I was so mad at myself:mad: I feel like I've spent forever studying for these certification exams and I am getting no where. I guess I kind of feel like I am attempting to climb a mountain and I am stuck sideways and can't climb anymore. If that makes any sense.

I had taken the FTCE K-6 exam twice. I spent months studying for it, teaching myself things in every subject for elementary school. I missed it by 10 the first time and 5 the second. I was about to register to take it a third time in hopes I'd pass… and realized I didn't want to teach elementary school…..

I registered for the English 6-12 exam. I was so close! :mad:
    I have been feeling like I need to register for it again, to pass it, and to prove to myself that I can actually do this. Except for the fact that I don't have $225 to take it again, oh and a big one… I don't know if I'll be living in FL in a few months. Since it's going the alternative route path, I'd have to start over if I leave.

I guess now it's a waiting game. Hopefully my boyfriend will know if he got the job in FL by the middle of July. If he did, I can' register. But he also has stuff going on in Tennessee….. which he will know about around the same time…. :unsure:

Sorry, I guess it was more of a vent on my part. I just had to get it out. I really want to teach, but these tests… ugh!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

If you know enough to get a 198, you know enough to pass.

Hang out for 2 or 3 weeks, figure out where you'll be and what tests you need to pass. Then go pass them. Easy when I say it, right??

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 27, 2010

You need to pass these tests to teach, so it really is as simple as find the money to get certified so that you can make the money. How easy will it be to get certified in Tennessee if you are not already certified? One poster here did not certify in her home state where she went to college before she left and it has caused her all kinds of heartache. Make sure you get all the facts.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

Keep taking the test! I took the stupid elementary praxis four times. I kept missing it by 1 to 3 points. I took the middle school math praxis and missed it by 2 points. I have been thinking about taking it again if I can find some one to help me brush up on my math skills. I seem to have forgotten them all now that I have been teaching kindergarten for so long.

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

As soon as I find out where I'll be, I'll be taking the test. :D

7. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

My boyfriend has been looking up information for Tennessee, from what he said there is no 'alternative certification route'. I think I'm going to go onto their site in a few minutes to check it out.

Even if I am going to be staying in FL, I still have to pass the test, get the statement of eligibility, find a teaching job, sign up for the alternative certification program, teach for a year while in the program and then, then I will be perm. certified in the state of FL if I pass that alt. cert. course.

I know it will be worth it in the end. I guess with having to hold off on something I really want has been making me feel a bit down.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

I will. Like Alice said, if I know enough to get a 198 [esp. the first time around on the English] I know enough to pass. I will keep taking the English test until I pass it. Hopefully that will only be one more time.

THEN… I will tackle the elementary FTCE. I may not want to exactly teach elementary school BUT I think it's for my own piece of mind. The… I did it! feeling.

>Now I just wait<

Oh and thank's to all of you for your advice/ input, etc. :D

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 27, 2010

Each test costs $225??? WOW! I just paid $88 to take the multi-subject test in NY and I thought that was a lot. Hopefully you will pass the next one!! Good luck!

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Each test the first time is $200. Each re-take is $225. Then I have to pay $75 for the statement of eligibility paper, and I believe its either $1000 or $1500 for the alternative certification course itself. But at least with the course, I'd have a job where I could afford it.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

This is what I love about the education field. In college and through prof. development we are taught how to differentiate learning and use many forms of assessment. But in order to get a job and teach you have to pass a test. :p Good luck Chrissteeena! :hugs:

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

Those tests are so expensive!! They used to be $25 to take. Have you passed the professional and the General Knowledge Test?

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

I dont' know what part of TN you might be living in if you move, but you might check into the the Teach Now program. I don't know a lot about it, but it is a fast track to certification. I know Middle Tennessee State University has the program. PM me and I'll tell you more.

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Professional- no. From what I saw that was after completion of the Alternative Certification Program.

General Knowledge- part of it. I passed 3 out of the 4 parts when I had originally considered going back to school. USF told me I needed it in order to be accepted provisionally into their MAT program. I got accepted… but never started. The re-take for that fourth section is now I believe $150. So that is going to have to wait too.

Anyone know where I can find a money tree?? :unsure:

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

I'd be living over by Knoxville, if he gets this job. Not sure what county, etc. that's in; I haven't checked out much of TN yet. But I figure if there is even a 'slight chance' at him getting this job, which he said the phone interview went extremely well and is pretty sure of a face-to- face, then I should start looking into what I need to do.

16. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Good Luck!

I'm sure you know the content inside and out and will do awesome when you take it!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

If memory serves, Tennessee is a Praxis state. In any case, if you haven't checked out the thread "Elmer's English resources" on the Single Subject Tests subforum here on A to Z, it would make sense to do so.

Hugs, Christeeena.

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

The Praxis is required in TN. I think I would start by contacting the Office of Teacher Licensure here in TN
    http://www.tennessee.gov/education/lic/
    and here is another site that I ran into about alt. licenses
    http://www.state.tn.us/education/lic/alt.shtml
    This one looked like it might have some info. you could use -
    http://www.teacher-world.com/statespages/Tennessee.html