I get obsessed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 30, 2008

looking at the placement for classes next year... I actually start thinking about it like, in January.

We have had our first meeting about placement, and now my head is spinning knowing who MAY be in my class next year. I don't know why this is something I think about so much. It changes about 10 times before the lists go out in August, so there really is no point in even looking at it right now anyway.

Anyone else have a weird school-related obsession?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2008

Oh, I began a mental list of kids I want next year MONTHS ago. However, we have no say in the matter and will not see a class list until a week before school starts :(

One of the kids I really wants really wants to be in my room, and he is the secretary's nephew. So, I bet I will at least have him though!!

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2008

I get obsessed over school stuff I can't control also. Like what the school schedule will be next year. Lord knows I have no control over that, so why do I even think about it?

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 30, 2008

My classroom is my obsession. I am anal about keeping it clean and welcoming. To the point that my fifth period class cleans the desks at the end of the day (the janitor does not do this) and I pay a student to wash my chalkboards (I have a severe dust allergy and our janitor does not clean them as often as he is supposed to). It's not on par with class lists and so on, but I am obsessed with cleanliness.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 1, 2008

Right now I am obsessed with a couple of things: how to get a "living room" in my seventh grade classroom, who I will split a language arts block with next year, and how big my gifted LA class will be next year.

The living room should actually be fairly easy. My principal-to-be (he's our AP right now) is completely on board and is even going to a few rummage sales to help us find small couches and love seats for our rooms. The other two things? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

7. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 1, 2008

I do not know who my students are until they show up in my classroom open house night the day before school starts! I hate that!!

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 1, 2008

with school supply lists! i have no idea why i am so weird about supplies.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 1, 2008

I place my students in their fourth grade class, and I started worrying about this in March. I want to make sure they are placed in the proper rooms, with teachers that will be a good fit for them.

Last year, I spent hours thinking of where I would put my second graders. Then I ended up moving up with them! I only ended up with three of my former students, but they all asked "why didn't you keep me?" I felt bad, but my class this year is priceless!

Provided I get to stay in third at my building, I know of five students I'll have based on parent requests. I'm very excited about this as I was their student teacher in first grade!

10. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

May 1, 2008

I am student teaching (tomorrow is my last day) and I just wish I knew what school I would be at, let alone the grade, kids' names, etc!

11. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

May 1, 2008

I am obsessed with labeling.

I like to label things. My cupboard is labeled, my books are labled and sometimes I stick post-its to my kids and label them (the one the other day was labeled as 'crazy', he liked it) One time the pencil sharpener was labeled as "Broken" and they took that post it and stuck it to me... I was broken that day. It was the day that I hit my head on the printer and had a good goose egg going. The nurse said that I could have had a concussion, but I didnt!

You'd never guess that my classroom is a disaster area. I didnt have enough time to completely unpack when I moved to this room. The room is TINY and I have a lot of stuff, the teacher before me had a lot that she left.

Im also obsessed with teaching... and buying kids books. I once dropped $50 at Goodwill on kids books.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 1, 2008

SuperMissM - I do the same thing! Everything in my room is labeled and I spend TONS of money on kids books. We used to have an outlet book store and I would spend hundreds there a year.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2008

I am guilty of labeling as well. I buy white sticker labels and stick them on everything. Folders, tubs, cabinets, etc... I even have a list of EVERY SINGLE book I have in my room, alphebetized with the number of copies I have. I have OCD issues :)

14. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 1, 2008

Girraffe326? White stickers? Mine are happy faces, monkeys, frogs, bumble bees... and I teach middle years and high school lol!

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 1, 2008

I'm currently obsessed with finding out where I will be placed for next year. I know I have a job at the school I where I am teaching now, but I don't know what grade I'll be teaching. grrr...The principal keeps putting off letting us know where we'll be and who will be moving.

I'm also obsessed with making sure my room is clean. It's making me crazy. I can't seem to get it clean enough.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2008

Yeah, the white label stickers. But, they are color coded (the marker I write with)

I do a fair share of cutesy things, despite being in 5th. Some times I think my kids think I am crazy. I have bugs and butterflies hanging from the ceiling. But, when it comes to labeling it has to look neat, clean and uniform :) Hence the white labels!

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 1, 2008

I know who my 5th graders will be since I'll have all 5th graders :D (I'm the only science teacher for 5th grade). Since I'm new, I don't actually know the kids, but I've met some and they seem very sweet. I'm going to be emailing the 4th grade science teacher asking her about any trouble makers or students who have any special needs or learning methods.

Other than that, I can tell I'm alot more organized than the retiring teacher. I daydream ALOT about how I'm going to organize the desks and everything else in the classroom... especially the teacher's desk. I can't wait to get into it and start moving stuff around :D