I gave myself a shot

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Blue, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 25, 2012

Today I went to a class to learn how to give myself insulin shots. I can't believe how easy the shot is to give---and it doesn't hurt at all.

The class was limited to 4 people, and we got lots of individual support. The instructor helped each of us develop a plan to keep food and medication coordinated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2012

Great news, Blue!

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 25, 2012

I have to give myself injections of Humira every other week for my Crohn's Disease. The medicine comes in a self-contained cylinder rather than the traditional needle and syringe. The shots ARE easy to give, I just hold it against the skin and hold the plunger down until all the medicine is injected. Takes about 3 seconds. It does hurt a little, but not too bad.

I saw a commercial the other day for a company that packages their insulin shots in the same type of self-contained cylinder. Are yours like that, or are they still the traditional needle/syringe?

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 25, 2012

My husband did insulin shots (on a pump now) and rarely had any pain. Every now and then he would hit a little nerve and it would sting. For the most part, nothing. I do B12 shots monthly, the needle is a little bigger and it does sting if I don't find the right spot (I hate shots! LOL).

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

I am on the old needle/syringe because of insurance.

I must say that I feel better today than I have in years.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012

My first-year college roommate gave himself insulin shots for his diabetes. He enjoyed people's shocked reaction when they saw him giving himself shots, but he said it was easy and he'd taught children to do it (at a special camp for children with diabetes).

It's important to manage it correctly. Too much and you can go into insulin shock, which I witnessed several times and usually ended up in decimation for my supply of snacks.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 26, 2012

Oh yeah, it is relatively painless. Sometimes I get blood beading up afterward, sometime some liquid beads. I do it twice a day. For a while I was injecting four times a day but I couldn't handle that. Now, I'm on the insulin mix which is short and long acting. I prefer the vials over the pens. Good luck with your treatment, Blue.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2012

Good to hear you can all give yourself shots! Wow...good going girls and guys.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2012

Now that's saying a lot. Here's hoping you have more days like that.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 26, 2012

I know I am diabetic and I should go see the endocrinologist. I have taken the glucose test and it was high and I have many of the symptoms. I am just so tired all the time. I used to check my blood sugar at home but stopped so my doctor has no idea that anything is wrong. I always justify that it is only high while I am on prednisone but that is not true. I have done the insulin shots a long time ago and they did hurt but it gives me hope that you have no pain.

I think what is making me finally admit this to myself is that you say you feel so much better today. I would love that! Good for you:)

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

Sue, I am going to bug you until you get to a doctor. I don't know how old you are, but not treating diabetis can kill you.

Fatique was a big problem for me for years. For some reason, I can now get a good nights sleep, wake up ready to face the world. (Of course, I am atill a night person.) I used to spend most of the day avoiding housework, and keeping an eye on the TV.

The dosage doesn't seem to be taking my BS down low enough, but I have to wait for my Nurse to increase it. I wonder if I will feel even better. Right now, I am running at 200.

13. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 27, 2012

My son injects growth hormones daily into his body. I say that I could never do it but if it was a matter of feeling better, I probably would be able to. I do cringe though when he does it in his arms because they are so tiny! (He's 13 so it's not that tiny!)

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 27, 2012

I would never be able to inject myself with something

probably because i've been poked and prodded by needles as long as I can remember (when I was younger, I got blood tests every 3-6 months)

i've developed a bit of a fear of needles from that. Also, I have a low pain threshold.

Numbing cream makes blood tests tolerable

as long as they have a butterfly needle (a 25 gauge, the smallest kind they have), I don't have immense amounts of pain. Otherwise, phlebotomists tend to poke right through my veins, which hurts quite a bit, especially in the hand.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

I can sympathize with that. Due to the multiple surgeries and hospital stays I've had, my veins have become very scarred and hard to penetrate. Nurses usually have to use the butterfly needle in the back of the hand on me as well. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all, but it normally stings quite a bit since that is such a sensitive area.

Getting an IV is a serious experience in pain tolerance because a 20 gauge is about the smallest they can use and the jelco (needle) has to be threaded into the vein instead of just penetrating it. It feels good when they are finally finished, but it usually takes several attempts before they get it.

I used to hate needles too. As a child, I was scared to death of shots. But my reaction now is the opposite. I've been stuck SO many times, I'm not afraid of it anymore because I know what to expect. I still cringe whenever I have to have an IV because I know that is NOT going to be a pleasant experience, but I also know the relief I get afterwards is worth it.

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 27, 2012

I have had so many PICC lines done and so much blood taken that I don't mind it anymore. But for some reason, I am terrified of shots. I would rather they take a ton of blood than give me a shot!

Blue, because of this thread I am going to test my blood sugar this whole weekend. I have a doctor appt. on Feb 24th and will bring it up. My diabetes will be a little different, because it is known as Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes (CFRD) but I am assuming it is just as important to get this checked out and get me feeling better.

Thank you for this, and I am so happy that you feel better!

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 28, 2012

Sue, you are making me very happy!!!

I learned at my class that shots can be given in either muscle or fat tissue. The insulin shot is given in the fat tissue--which I have a lot of. A shot in the fat tissue does not hurt as much as a muscular one.

I showed my DH how to give me a shot. I don't think I can count on him as a backup. That's okay, because my neighbor gives himself several shots a day and can help if needed.

It does get easier. I would never let the fear of a shot stop me from being tested. Sue, if you are just slightly diabetic, your doctor will probably prescribe a pill.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 28, 2012

I've had a 22 gauge used for an IV I had in for 10 days during testing in 2007.

I cannot move my hand if I have an IV in it. I can feel the needle moving.

They've had to switch where they take blood out of so many times.

first they did the right arm, switched to the left, then to the right, then to the left, now they are back to the right, because it is nigh impossible for them to find a good vein in my left arm.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 28, 2012

I remember the short time I was on insulin was the one time I was glad that I had some fat around my belly, because then it was easier to give myself the shot:p

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2012

The only advantage of that extra layer of fat!! Yeah, the shot in the waist area is nowhere near as painful as a shot in a muscle. In fact, sometimes I can barely feel it at all. When I do feel it, it's because I have the syringe tilted a bit at an angle. So I move it a bit until I don't feel it. It doesn't bother me a bit. I never knew so many people feared injections, actually.

Anybody want to work together to report on blood levels, problems, 'cheats', successes, etc? I know I am doing better now that my doctor (physician's assistant) has me writing down everything I eat. I'm too embarrassed to eat the way I really want to. Haha.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 28, 2012

Yes, tell me what you do to satisfy that craving for a sweet dessert. If I can get past that, I am okay for the evening. But I sure do crave sugar after a meal.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2012

When I find out, I'll let you know. I just had a large brownie. Sigh. My BS was good before dinner, though, so it should be okay by later. I mean, sometimes I eat something awful and my sugar isn't too bad. Other times, when I haven't eaten since the night before, it's way way up. Also, I noticed that dark chocolate really doesn't affect my level much at all. So, I guess that is my tip.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 29, 2012

Up, the patterns of high and low depend upon so many factors. I think each person has to figure out their own patterns.

I can not eat grapes, as they raise my BS so high.