I FINALLY made the next step.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LMath85, Aug 5, 2008.

1. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I applied to Walden University & I just received my acceptance package!!!! I'll start classes to get my Master's beginning on September 2nd!!!! Anyone else starting then - I'm so excited!!!!

:2up::2up::2up:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

Congratulations LMath!!

4. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Congrats! One day, I will do that. Where is Walden? Is it on-line? I have noticed that I am getting alot of on-line master offers.

5. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Congrats Lmath. I am hopefully starting my Masters on Sept 11. I am waiting for my acceptance package.

6. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks!!!

Walden is an fully on-line program. The only reason I knew about it was because so many people on this board talk about it. I am super excited. I am doing Master of Education with Math. I wish they had a 7-12 program but I'll deal with the 6-8 program. I already asked New York State and they approved it. Though I am paranoid and I am going to call tomorrow again JUST to make sure...

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 5, 2008

Congratulations!! :)

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 5, 2008

congratulations, you will love walden. I know I do.

9. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

YAHOO! Congrats on being accepted!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

Way to go! Just think about the pay increase when you finish (it is BIG in my district) and that will keep you motivated!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

Congrats! I too am getting my masters from Walden and I love it! I just wish they had a bachelors degree for my hubby.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

LMath85, congrats. Hope you still have time for us!

13. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Yay for Master's degrees! Thanks everyone & good luck to anyone else starting/continuing with their master's degree!!

&& don't worry Hoot, I still have time for you guys. Did I mention I was miserable for 4 days when my internet was broken and I couldn't get on A to Z!?! I can't quit this site! I love it here :)

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2008

I was thinking of going straight into my Masters but people kept telling me it would be better to wait, get a few years of teaching under my belt, and then go ahead. I want to do an online degree hopefully because I can't imagine being a teacher and then going to class in the same day! But we'll see... I won't worry about that for another year or two.

Good luck though!!! :)

15. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Funny thing is - when I say I FINALLY made the next step. Meaning... it took me 1 year to apply to a school!! I only took 1 year off. But it feels like so long especially since all of my friends went right into getting their master's degree and some of them already have a good 12-15 credits behind them!

16. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I'm goin to meet with a counselor this week to begin gathering info for the Master's program at University of Central Florida.

Congrats to you and good luck as you embark on this new chapter.

Jim

17. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I've just gone back to finish my masters. I started it as part of my certification. I have 12 credits left. After taking a year and a half off I'm excited to be working toward it again. I start on August 26th.

18. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I start my masters with Walden on Sept. 2 as well, except my will be in Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas. My EA let me know that I have been accepted, I am just waiting for my package to arrive in the mail.

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

I love all these stories from Walden!!

20. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Ha.. my EA asked how I found out about Walden - when I told her I chat on a teacher message board & that everyone raves about it she couldn't believe it! I had her laughing and she was so excited that people are talking about it!

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Have you been able to sign on to myWalden yet? I haven't and my EA says that it is due to the Sept. 2 enrollment overlog. I should be able to by the end of the week. I still haven't received my packet, but my EA said I am enrolled as a student because I filled out their acceptance thingy online. I have to call Tuition Pay today to set up my payment plan. BOOHOO. I am anxious to get started, so I can finish...and finish the payments, too!!

22. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I too am enrolled with Walden :). I am in the MS Integrating Technology in the Classroom program. I start October 27th...I didn't want to be stressed right away at the beginning of the year, so I opted for the later start date. Anyway, good luck!

I think we have some of the same core classes that we start with. We could have an online study group ;).

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

Yay!!!Congrats!

24. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I was going to do Technology, but I just wanted to be safe & stay with my Math. The state said that I was waived from having to complete 12 credits in Math(bc my college recommended me for my certificate) in order to keep my license but i'd rather be safe then sorry. no big deal - i'll be a math teacher forever.

Maybe later on down the road i'll do administration... but for now I love being a math teacher

25. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I considered Technology as well, but I have heard so many good things about the Literacy and Learning program from other teachers in my district I decided to go with that, which suits me since I teach Language Arts. Hopefully, I can help teachers in other content areas. They are always asking for ideas. I admire math teachers...I am terrible at math. I have no gift for it at all. :huh:

26. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I can attest to a pay bump having a Master's degree -- but watch for the dangers of the current hiring climate; if you're not already employed, you may become less employable due to that salary bump!

As for a doctorate, though, I don't think it's worth it unless you're going for an administraton or research job (or as a personal goal after you retire, etc). Too much time and money for not enough return if you're still a schoolteacher.

27. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I was already warned this on my first day of my first year of teaching by a veteran teacher. So i took his advice and mid-May I went on an interview & got the job at a school by my house. If anything...I'd be happy to stay here til I retire. Its a great school & the kids are much nicer than where I'm coming from - so I'm not worried.. plus in NYS you HAVE to get your Master's.

28. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Great work! You're on your way!

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Congrats! :) I will be finishing my Master's after 2 more classes...they are the big ones (thesis)! Eeek! Very exciting though! :)