I finally did it!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by love2teach, Aug 23, 2008.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

I got rid of my desk (not as exciting as some of you thought from the post title, huh?!:haha:)!!! :haha: I have a huge table that I will use for groups and meetings and I figured I sit there most of the time anway, why not get some bins and make this my desk!?

So, how will it be...those of you that don't use your desks, do you like it, hate it, regret it etc.....

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Doesn't it give you sooo much more space? I don't have a desk either because frankly, I don't ever sit at it... :woot:!!!!

4. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I got rid of my desk last year and I didn't miss it one bit. People think I'm crazy, but I love all the extra space.

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I don't have one either and I love it!! I used my desk for piles of crap that I didn't want to deal with. I am so glad I got rid of it!! Now I have to clean up the stuff instead of stacking it!!

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

I've never had a desk and really never felt the need for one. I have a closet that keeps all of my private things and things I don't want the children to have access to.

7. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

don't miss my desk

I got rid of my desk years ago & haven't missed it. I love having the extra space.:D I use my kidney shaped table as a desk as well as working with students individually as well as in groups. I keep supplies in a rolling cart with drawers & some built in shelves behind the table.

My computer has to be on the counter as that's where the hook-up for our network is. There really isn't any place to sit at the counter so that's a pain. I go to the computer lab sometimes or just use the computer at home & send the info to my school account.

Enjoy your suddenly bigger room!:lol:

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

I have a desk (at a new school) and not sure why I have it! I don't really have much on or in it because like everyone else - I don't ever sit down there and do anything regardless of what is going on. However because I am new to the school I am keeping it this year and work on figuring out my space for the year and what to ditch (teacher's desk :lol::lol::lol:) for next year and what/where things should go. :D

9. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Congrats on getting rid of your desk!! I don't know that I could ever get rid of mine, the thought of losing all that organization space stresses me out. I don't sit at it very much, but my room is very square, so even if I got rid of my desk, there isn't really any convenient place to put rolling carts/storage for the stuff in my desk now. If possible, I might try to downsize next year (I have a HUGE desk) but it works well for me right now.

I do hear wonderful things from people who have gotten rid of their desks. Maybe next year I'll experiment by putting it in the hallway and see how I like my roo...that way I can always get it back if I really need it.

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

I've been seriously considering it. Mine is really old and makes a horrible screiching noise when I open the drawers. I never get to sit at it anyway, and I am in an "educational condo" so it would certainly give me more space!

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I didn't have one my first year, got one my 3rd year... getting rid of it for my 5th year. I never sat at it... it just collected stuff. (and took up space!!!)

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

But do you have a nice LARGE comfy chair........... that's important......:p

13. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Just keep the comfy chair- put it in a corner or special spot just for teacher "time outs"!:lol:

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

I also got rid of my desk this year. I haven't missed it once. I use my kidney table when I need space to work, and have a technology station to store my computer. Still working on the cozy chair ;)

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I would love to get rid of my desk, but honestly I don't think we are allowed. :(

16. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I'm not sure I am allowed too either. Not only do I have my desk-but there is one in there for my asst. I would like to at least get rid of one!

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

Thanks, I am feeling better!!
    I am holding on to it for right now, incase I change my mind! I am going to use it as a table/work area for the kids. I figured they would love working at a "real desk" and just having it pushed against the wall makes the room look so much bigger!!!