I FINALLY am getting to tour the Montessori school!

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by KDS, Feb 2, 2009.

1. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 2, 2009

i am super excited! i know they have openings for 2nd grade next year (the gr my son will be getting into)

I cannot wait until next Thursday! I posted an earlier topic about what to look/ask...and i plan on printing the list. So thank you so much!

any additional ideas would be great!!!!

i know the PTA president and i emailed to thank her and she said she cant wait to see us around campus next year. It is a lottery system to get into open slots, but that sounds hopeful!

KDS

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

Sounds fantastic. :) Hope you enjoy your visit! Make sure they let you observe in a classroom for a while.

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Feb 3, 2009

That is wonderful! If you would like to see what a second grader is learning in a Montessori Elementary class, you can check out my website. There is a link to Miss Linda's class which is an El 1 classroom.

5. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 4, 2009

ok...one more question...i have noticed on other school websites as well as the CCMS site, that teachers etc are refered to as Miss Lisa etc...not using last names...is this common?

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

Yes...but in the Montessori schools I know they would just call the teacher "Lisa" and not "Miss Lisa". It's supposed to give the children a more comfortable feel, not so much of a heirarchical feel. And, the best part is, it works!

7. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

At our school it is suppose to be just the first name, but the parents and children always call me Miss Patty.

8. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 5, 2009

Interesting...its funny...my husband is a teacher and i was one (i work for a PBS station now) Our last name is Stubblefield. Students call us Stubbs or Stubby (i am super short and it occasionally bothers me). The students feel so "special' when they can call us by our 'real name'. So i can see how that first name thing would work.

and i lied...another question i havent had real clarity on. Montessori teachers arent necessarially 'state certified' teachers...they are Montessori certified?

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

True, but it depends upon the school. I am both state certified and have Montessori certification. Not everyone is. Some people might have attended a 2 yr course, or they might have a bachelors degree and then gotten their montessori certification on top of that. But, their bachelors degree might not necessarily be in education. Clear as mud? ;)

I would ask when you go. Technically, unless it's a state charted or public school teachers only need Montessori certification, but different schools have different requirements.

10. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 6, 2009

ok...i am adding that to the list of questions i am going to have for this poor person giving us the tour.
    both my husband and i are going, so we would want to bring Taylor...unless you think that would be out of "line"...cant think of a better word.
    and THANK YOU again for all the question answering.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2009

I wouldn't bring your child. This visit is more than likely just for you and your husband and once you get along in the enrollment process, you can probably request a visit for him if one isn't offered.

By going alone, the two of you might be able to spend some time in a classroom observing, and if your child is with you, they won't allow that.

12. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 9, 2009

ooohhh....makes sense to me