I fell in love with NYC!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I'm really thanking everyone here who helped my my trip even better than I'd dreamed it would be. I would mention a place to my SIL and she'd ask me how I knew about so many places. I told her I had friends!!!!

So every day life won't be the same after a spring break in NYC. Best things, in order: 1) time with brother & sister-in-law 2) Phantom of the Opera, 3) talking with Mike Huckabee at the air port in Little Rock, (He remembered me from old school days.) 4) praying in Staint Patrick's Cathedral, 5) pedicab ride through Central Park, 6) Brooklyn Bridge, 7) Empire State Building, 8) Statue of Liberty, 9) Shaking Robin Robert's hand at GMA, 10) Frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity's, 11) Carmegie's Deli, 12) Carmine's Italian Resturant, 13) buying jewelry at Tiffanys, (I used my Discover credit card there and they have a strong anti-theft code with it. The snooty man had to call Discover, and then I had to talk to someone to verify my account. I was so embarrassed.) 14) ferris wheel ride at F.A.O. Shwartz, 15) walking ALL over NYC, 16) Double-decker ride, China Town, Wall Street, Greenwich Village, Rockefeller Center, Metropolitian Museum of Mod. Art 17) A glimpse of Ground Zero, NY cheesecake, hot dogs, and pizza. Only regret is the brother-in-law was tired the night we'd planned to go to The View, the resturant which revolves.he

I woke up at the crack of dawn ready to go every day and fell into bed and asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Yep, I have to go back to work tomorrow, every day life just won't be the same. I won't be seeing skinny women all dressed in black. I'm going in all black tomorrow to honor my trip.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Sounds incredible, Hoot. I've never been to NYC; it's high on my list of places to experience.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2010

How wonderful! How long did you visit?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I took a group of students earlier this year. We did all that you mentioned, but in five days! It was crazy busy, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

Six days, we were busy ALL day every day. It rained Tuesday and it didn't slow us down a minute.

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

What, no visit to the Rose Center! You must go back immediately, or plan another trip there very soon. :)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and hit lots of the high spots!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Hey, Hoot, so glad you love 'our city' (Yeah, I'm a Jersey girl, but I live closer to the city than most of NY State!)
    DH and I take city date nights about every other month. We're headed in in 2 weeks to see 'Come Fly Away' (new Twyla Tharp musical with Frank Sinatra music). Staying over, which we never do so it will be lots of fun...DH and sons going in on Tuesday to the NIT games at Madison Square Garden.
    Have you started planning your next trip yet, Hoot? :):love:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

It's so funny-- that's the way everyone I know refers to NYC-- as though there's only one.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

So happy you had a great time. We live very close to the city and got married in Jersey City with the NYC skyline.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

We went as hard and fast as we could for fear of missing something on my list. LOL

Oh, AMK, I remeber you got married recently when the snow was so deep. Are you on FB, do you have pictures posted? I LOVE weddings!!!

I'll have to Google the Rose Center, where were you Ross when I was planning my trip? LOL

We went by Madison Square Garden, my DH had an uncle who faught there back in the '30's, still was a connection for him. (Sounds so teacher-like.) Your DH and sons will have a blast!! Gotta make some memories with those boys every chance you get.

Don't know where we'll go next, but I'd go back to NYC tomorrow. I don't think my DH will though. He had a great time but he's a country boy at heart. Would love, love,love to see "Come Fly Away", be sure and post your reviews. City date nights would be awesome! I'd love to take my daughter and daughter-in-law back again some day. It was a dream trip for me.

How many of you wear all black? I've never seen so many women dressed head to toe in black!

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 29, 2010

Oh, Hoot, I'm so excited to hear what a great time you had in the city!! (You're right Alice, everyone I know refers to it as THE city too LoL.) Sad that you missed out on The View, but that's all the more reason to go back sometime!

I don't always wear all black in the city, but I will say this- it makes it easier for you to go anywhere and look like you fit in! A lot of times when I head in for a day I have half plans of where I'm going, but sometimes I end up somewhere much dressier or more casual or trendier than I had figured, and all black helps you to not stand out if you end up somewhere you hadn't prepared for!

14. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 29, 2010

On the West Coast, San Francisco is referred to this way. I remember being there and someone asking, "Which city?" Boy, she received some strange looks! :haha:

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

There is only one like et. ;):love::cool:
    Black is a staple if the city...did you watch last season of 'Project Runway'? The winning designer had so much in black for her collection- a bit of an homage to NYC... :)

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

Oh I'd fit right in!! I wear so much black!! It's the staple of my wardrobe.

Hoot, you know Mike Huckabee???