I feel so screwed...want to cry

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StarsofTommorow, Jul 9, 2014.

1. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Jul 9, 2014

So a a school district I interviewed with called to say that after HR finalizes things they will forward me link for background check next week. Two years ago during college I got a stupid cds misdemeanor and was expunged. I reported on their app that I was never convicted of a crime (was never arrested, printed, or anything). However I read that expunged records will show for school districts and any job working with children. Just not reg min wage jobs unrelated to the field.

I really want the job. What am I gonna do????!!!

3. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

If they see these details this may hurt me after the long search.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

Take a deep breath. I know it can be anxiety ridden process when it's a possibility that you may not get a job when you have legal issues.

If you are googling this info, relax, it's probably the equivalent to googling medical issues instead of seeing a DR. And working yourself up.

Talk to a lawyer. They can better answer your question.

I'm not sure if I'm correct but I assume you've been fingerprinted and obtained certification in your state. So if that's gone through you should be safe. However for ANY job you ever apply to be honest about your past. Even if they don't ask directly about it. It shows you aren't trying to hide something.

Good luck!

5. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

Just checked their site and they said they have the legal right to question applicants that have records, arrests, and convictions that have NOT been sealed or expunged. So hopefully I'm fine with the way I answered the question on the app.

6. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

I have sealed and expunged things on my record and none of them showed up on my background check.

7. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

Really? Even for public school districts? I am praying that its okay.

8. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

I was a minor at the time so that might have helped the process, but my understanding is if its sealed, a general background check won't find it.

9. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

Uggghhh and I have no $ to do my own so I guess I will have to wait it out.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

If you don't mind saying, what is a cds misdemeanor?

11. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

Control drugged substance

12. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

I think it's a controlled dangerous substance. I could be wrong??

13. StarsofTommorow

Jul 9, 2014

You are right.

14. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 9, 2014

Did you have to get a BCI for student teaching? Wouldn't it have shown up at that time?

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

Expunged records will not show up on any kind of background check, as after the expungement is processed, the records are removed from the system, at least in NJ (My mom is a deputy court administrator).

The paper records, which aren't accessible to a background check (or anyone except court personnel), are destroyed typically two years after expungement, or whenever they get a destruction order approved.

If you are concerned, contact the court in which you were convicted/had the expungement in and ask them if your CDS misdemeanor is still on the record, and if you could have a note from the court administrator or judge stating that you have no convictions in the state.

I assume the expungement was done through a deferred judgement, as it was probably your first offense, you went a year without another encounter with the law, and then your misdemeanor was expunged? If that is the case, depending on how the state processes deferred judgments in their system, you were technically never convicted of anything.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

You were within your legal right to answer no on the application, so don't worry about that aspect of your situation. Also, remember that worrying will not change the outcome. All you accomplish by giving in to high anxiety is damaging your health. Try reframing the situation. At least you will find out if your record shows up clean once their background check is complete - and it won't necessarily interfere with being hired by the district even if an expunged record shows. Instead of driving yourself crazy, rehearse how you would confidently answer questions about your record and talk about changes your made in your life. I also recommend exhausting yourself with exercise. This will help with the anxiety you are feeling.

Let us know how it goes.

17. StarsofTommorow

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks for the detailed answers!

18. StarsofTommorow

Jul 10, 2014

This is exactly how it happened!!!!!!!!!

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

Then you are fine. No official record will exist of it whenever the next destruction order is submitted and approved by the court, as they have to destroy expunged records within two years of the expungement.

The only thing that might remain is a small note in the court's system that you filed for an expungement/had a deferred judgment (These notes are internal, unable to be seen by anyone outside of the court).

20. StarsofTommorow

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks for the amazing advice and I will definitely have to update everyone!

21. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

It may differ from state-to-state, so I would advise you contact the court early in the morning tomorrow.

22. tinat70

tinat70 Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

your job interview

hope it worked out for you,
    did you get the teaching job?

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

Question? Did your university do a background check on you at any point like when you did observations or student teaching? If they did they would have seen anything on your record that would stop you from getting a job. So if they saw nothing there is nothing to worry about. Plus something's are "ok" to have on your record. In my state as long as you have nothing that involved children you can still be hired.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

My university didn't do a background check at any point - they left that up to the schools we went to. 90% of them don't background check student teachers or observers.

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

In my state you do background check just to get into the teacher cert programs at a university. And then you do others when you do observations and student teaching. That way they catch anything. Plus once you apply for your license. But still some people fall thru the cracks.

26. StarsofTommorow

Jul 12, 2014

When they did their background check I think it was before I started any of my internships.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2014

Honestly, if they ask, tell them that the record has been expunged and you have learned a lifelong lesson that you will, indirectly, be able to put forth to your former students. That being said, I think you'll be okay.

28. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Bros I am impressed with how knowledgeable you are about administrative stuff in general. I find all that to be ... :dizzy:

Just to add to the conversation about when background checks are done at Univs ... we had to do one as part of the paperwork to be completed for student teaching.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

My mom works at the town court. She's told me and my brother things over the years.

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2014

Was that before or after your incident?

31. StarsofTommorow

Jul 20, 2014

Before. I know I just did a new rental app for my apartment when I movie. I checked no for prior convictions. They said background check came back fine. I am not sure if the one for the school district will be the same. What do you think?

32. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 20, 2014

Where are you in the process? Hopefully you will have your contract soon.

33. StarsofTommorow

Jul 22, 2014

I'm hired for now. Went to new teacher hire with hr yesterday. My school e-mail is working. Yet, I don't know the results of my background check (did that yesterday). Guess if they call with an issue I will see. I checked no for convictions on the rental app, and they said it was fine. Not sure if the board with see the expunged (but I'm not legally obligated to report it). :confused:

34. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

The board will not see an expunged record. The only people who can see an expunged record are individuals who work for the court in the town where you had the expungement. They can only see it for the purpose of destruction lists - which are usually done yearly in small courts. They are not legally allowed to tell anyone about an expunged record, not even another judge if you were to get arrested for the same thing.

35. StarsofTommorow

Jul 23, 2014

Wow informative. The thing they listed on my background check consent form was that for those with expungements to make sure the expungements have been "confirmed". I received all notice of expungements last year. Also, my school e-mail is up and even when I did my new rental app, I checked no. If the conviction showed, I'm sure they would have brought it up, but they said it came back fine. I wonder how long it takes for school boards to get back fingerprint (sex offender/crimes against children) and regular background checks back? I guess I won't stress about it.

36. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2014

O-to-the-P, will you be teaching in MD? If so, where?

37. StarsofTommorow

Jul 23, 2014

Southern.

38. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

If you are still concerned about the expungement, call the court in which the expungement was granted and ask if it will show up on a background check.

39. StarsofTommorow

Jul 23, 2014

They said no. Also CJIS said no. Also, on the rental background check they didn't mention anything showing up. We'll see. My school e-mail is working, but I don't think that means anything though.

40. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 23, 2014

I don't know how Maryland works, but I couldn't do anything school related until I was approved by the board. I couldn't be approved by the board until my background check was in. There's no way I could've had an email account without a clean background check.

41. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Not to scare you, but I am almost certain school districts are one of the few entities that can see sealed and expunged records.