I Feel So Far Behind

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, May 26, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 26, 2010

We have 2 more days with the kids, a work day and by then my whole classroom has to be packed, bulletin boards down, etc. Permanent folders and all paper work done. Ask me if I've even really started yet? :eek: I'm going to be living at school until Saturday! :blush:

I really don't like to pack early with the kids there because 1) they think school is over 2) they try to "help" (oh this is cool- can I have this? What is this for?, etc). Now I feel like I'm scrambling. And I'm moving classrooms, so everything has to get put in boxes, even my closet that I can usually just lock up. Anyone else in the same boat?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

Yep. I have a bit longer than you, though. But like you, EVERYTHING has to be packed - including file cabinets. And all of the old teacher's files are still in the room, so I have to pack that, too. And I just have an awful lot of stuff in my room, a massive amount of grading to do, final exams to administer and grade, an additional project to work on for the school...

And people wonder why I desperately needed a mental health day near the end of the year. Grading papers commences soon.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

It's overwhelming, getting it all done in just a few days. Too bad we can't just blink and have it magically packed.

I have been taking at least one boxful home every day for the last few weeks. My classroom is now devoid of anything mine except for a portable file cabinet and some drawings.

We have been so busy doing Stanford, Star and Woodcock-Munoz testing that my kids didn't even notice stuff disappearing!

But now my living room looks like a scene from "Hoarders." :)

5. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

May 26, 2010

Welcome to the club. I always have to go in a day or so extra before I can pack up and check out with my admin.

Taking the room down early is not a good message to send to the kids, so I leave everything alone until we get them out the door. I've been scoring standards assessments all week so far, and finally finished them today!

Whew.

:)

Now to clean the yard, clean the house, get the dog to the vet, pack my bags....

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 26, 2010

I always wondered what you do with "your" teaching stuff. I have spent a lot of money this year and I don't feel I guess it is ?safe? to leave my stuff at the school over the summer. I am afraid someone will just come in and take what they want.
    My apartment is not that big so I am wondering where in the world am I going to put all this stuff.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

We had to move rooms so all of my stuff is in my new classroom along with 2 other teachers stuff. I dont want to see it till July :)

I took home anything that was expensive - history dvds, my external hardrive. Basically anything I might want to use over the summer or I really cared if it was stolen. Everything else is replaceable. Yes it would stink if someone stole my stuff but I have no room for all of that stuff in my home.

8. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

May 26, 2010

Just think, by this time next week, you WILL be done :O) Today was my teacher workday and as of this time yesterday I never thought I'd get it all done, but I worked hard and am enjoying my first FREE evening and loving it!!!!!!!!!

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 26, 2010

I like having my fifth graders help clean up the room for the year. We're busy giving out portfolios and collecting textbooks to make sure they are all in. They clean out desks/cubbies, return books they've borrowed, and take home art projects that are on the wall. Tomorrow they are going to clean and dust the bookshelves, and then wrap them in cheap tablecloths. I truly think they like shutting down the year, closing up elementary school, and getting ready for middle school.

Tomorrow they are reading some letters from kids in the middle school and writing letters to fourth graders. We talked about good ideas for summer back to school shopping since they get to decorate the inside of their lockers next year. (They never have had lockers.)

It's been a lot of fun the last two weeks.

10. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

May 27, 2010

Some of you are lucky to have a teacher workday! Our last paid day is the same as the students--they get out at noon, and we are on duty for another 3 hours--obviously not enough time to eat lunch, pack everything up, file report card grades, turn in attendance records, have our teacher materials checked in, turn in keys, etc!

And next year, due to "furloughs," we don't have ANY work days or professional development before the kids start, so somehow, all the stuff involved in bringing the files, books, materials, whatever that are stored in our basements back to school, plus lesson planning, will be happening in the thirty minutes between when our work day starts and the first bell rings!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 29, 2010

Well, I made it! I was soooooo tired when I got home. I was literally packing from 7:00-4:30 yesterday. :yawn: Who knew you could accumulate so much stuff in 5 years (that's how long I've been in this room). Most of my tubs were marked workstations or books-I've determined I've spent way too much money on both those things :). I'm moving to another room next year so everything had to be packed, even stuff from my closets. But I'm done...until summer school starts Friday!

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 29, 2010

That's the nice thing about high school, we don't seem to have as much stuff.

I had my entire room packed, desk cleaned out, shelves cleaned out, and it put very orderly into my closet in half a day.

Now I'm going through all my paper work and lab kits starting to regroup for next year. I'm also getting ideas for grant requests to write over the summer.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 29, 2010

Kindercowgirl, Bless you for doing a good job. I have moved into so many rooms where the last teacher left all her junk! It is so hard to move into a room where the last 10 teachers (it felt like) saved everything! It felt like heaven when I moved to a brand new school with nothing! Now I have filled it up after 10 years of my stuff. The teacher next to me is resigning and I offered to help her pack and she said thanks but no thanks - she didn't have much - but then looked at my room and said it would be a whole different situation when I leave - lol! I admit it! I have a lot and a lot is my own stuff. I am doing a summer job at a brand new preschool and I feel like the beginning of my teaching career - they have very little. Back to basics...

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 29, 2010

I have another 8.5 days with the kids and then we have 2.5 days to do whatever needs to be done in the classroom, paperwork, etc. I don't have to pack up my classroom and probably not have to take anything down either (unless it falls down because the tape doesn't keep it up anymore!) ha ha ha. :)

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 29, 2010

I just finished "moving out" yesterday. Like most of you, my school does not permit dismantlement (is that even a word? :)) of the room while the students are still in attendance. This was my first year at this school and the moving out thing was new to me. I will definitely pack some personal things during the last month of school and take it home one piece at a time.

Like you, my home does resemble a "Hoarders" episode. I am trying to move the "horde" into one room before my company arrives on Monday. YIKES!!!! Hope I can shut the door :lol:

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 30, 2010

I have only been teaching 4 years and I had to use SEVEN 30-gallon plastic totes to pack away all my stuff.

At first, I went to Target thinking that if I purchased 4 huge plastic totes I'd be fine. Well, I ended up needing 3 more!

All the plastic totes are sitting in my (once empty) spare bedroom.

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 30, 2010

Hey, I love other teachers' left-behind junk -- some of it is good stuff! :lol: