I feel like such a failure!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Memom2, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

I honestly thought I had done everything right. I worked hard, graduated in 2 1/2 years with a GPA of 3.99, scored high on the Praxis tests, and volunteered in a school for 5 years to some degree. Now after I sacrificed time with my children (thinking I was making a better life for them) all I have to show for it is more debt and no job. I cannot even get an interview. Several teachers in my county made phone calls (they were the ones who encouraged me to go back to school) on my behalf and nothing has come of it. I am so discouraged. I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

Memom,
    It is easy to become discouraged -- especially with the economy and jobs being so hard to come by -- but you have to find the strength to stay optimistic. If you don't, your desperation and angst will sabotage your job search effort.

It isn't unusual for districts to not fill positions in June or the first 2 weeks in July. Plenty of jobs get filled in late July to early August so don't give up hope. Keeping plugging away, and try to stay positive.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 26, 2011

I feel the exact same way. I graduated in 3 years. I have 5 different certification areas: Generalist EC-6, Generalist 4-8, English Language Arts and Reading 8-12, Special Education EC-12, and Bilingual Education EC-12. I've volunteered at one of the districts elem. schools for 2 years. I sub in the school district I live in and all the teachers say how much they love me. We've all become great friends and they keep trying to help me find a job. I even have a really good relationship with the principal at the school and she says she would hire me in a heartbeat, but because of budget reductions, the superintendent wont give her approval to hire any new teachers to replace the 5 that left. :( Sad situation.

But I do believe everything happens for a reason and my time will come! :)

5. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

Thank you all so much. It seems that every time I find something to be positive about, a negative slaps me in the face!

Today for example, this morning I read a little story about a girl who had been waiting on a fishing trip with her dad. The day of the trip, it was raining buckets. The little girl was upset and said, "God should have known that yesterday would have been a better day for rain." Her dad tried to make her feel better. Later it stops raining and there is still time for some fishing. They end up catching a ton of fish because the heavy rain made the fish bite better. The little girl prays that night, "God, I am sorry about being grumpy earlier, I just could not see that far ahead."

I read this story and thought that maybe this is my story. Then later today, I find out that the interviews have already taken place in my county and most of the jobs are filled. I had been told I would definitely get an interview. I have been so upset ever since. I think God is trying to teach me patience, but I am being a very bad student.

6. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 26, 2011

It's good that you're networking. Do not give up, especially if there are teachers willing to vouch for you. That means they see the quality in you!

Have you had people check your cover letter or resume? Maybe that's something that is preventing you from getting in the door?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I think perhaps you want to re-examine your resume and cover letter--are they showcasing your skills as completely as they could???

And could you broaden the range of schools to which you're applying?

8. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

I am certified K-6 and have applied to every position posted in three counties. One county has not posted any positions; however, I still completed an application and took a packet of everything they requested to the system. It is just not feasible to apply any further out. Also, several teachers looked over my resume and cover letter, but I will give this another look, I have seen many examples of these on this site.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

How about non-public schools?

10. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

There are very few private schools here and they all want experienced teachers. The preschools also want 1 -3 years experience. I am finding that even with jobs outside of education everyone wants at least one-year experience in the field. The only experience I have is in retail, lactation, and sub work. I hate retail, the hours are terrible, and there is not much demand in the other two areas. The worst thing is I had to give up a part time job I loved, with great hours and people I loved, to do my student teaching.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 27, 2011

Do not lose hope! I live on the border of two counties and NEITHER one is hiring outside candidates due to reductions in force. It is not you! It is the budget and nothing more. My area too doesn't have a lot of private/charter schools. The public schools are pretty much the only game in town. Even with all this there will be jobs. Do I think they will be up anytime soon? No. I don't think they will consider anyone outside until August. We're just starting to get into the thick of hiring now.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Right now is a difficult time to apply to become a teacher. Really work on that cover letter and resume to make you shine. Get the right buzz words on there.

When it is meant to be it will happen!

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

It is a tough job market right now. You should be proud of what you accomplished and you did it while raising your kids. This is a great example for them.

Mopar is right. This forum is great for helping you with your cover letter, resume, and interview advice.

14. Memom2

Memom2 Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

Thank you to everyone, it helps to hear that it is not just me. Most of the hiring has taken place here, we have been out of school for a month now. There were jobs to be had, but it seems like you really needed to know someone to get a foot in the door. I am sure there will be a few more jobs open, but they usually pull from people that they have already interviewed for those. It looks like I will be subbing next year. I will continue to work on my resume and cover letter though.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2011

There will be more jobs in July and even August. That's when the teachers who are holding off on signing contracts will either sign or resign.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Count your sub time as experience.

Keep plugging away with the resumes: charter schools, private schools, LTS positions. Don't rule out para positions if you see openings. It takes some time to build a resume and a reputation.

Good luck to you.