I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachertime, Aug 25, 2007.

1. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Aug 25, 2007

Hi everyone,
    As I sit at my home office desk, I am pouring through the teacher editions for each subject. But....I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel. While the teacher sidebars have the ideas for what needs to be covered, I want to bring life to the subject. So, I was wondering if other teachers felt the same way.

I have noticed teachers share their classroom pictures, their advice on various subjects (like discipline, rewards, etc., etc,), and recommendations for help. But are teachers willing to share their lesson plans? Is there a place to go to exchange teacher guides, professional teaching books (like on discipline) with other teachers?

When I need to find material on a novel, I go to the internet, search the title of the book, and peruse the search page until I find what I need or at least an idea of what I need. Sometimes, though, that takes an incredible amount of hunt and peck time through many different venues--because sometimes the search title covers too broad of an area.

First year teachers, even second and third year teachers are building a base of material, lesson plans, and stuff. I know I would like to have a weekend where I can simply enjoy the weekend and not be worrying about sitting at a desk, writing lesson plans, and searching the internet.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

You can absolutely ask for lessons here at AtoZ. People can post ideas or send you their lessons via email. It does seem to take much too much time to develop new approaches. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it just isn't.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 25, 2007

I know that many people, including me, do benefit greatly already from the wisdom and experience of teachers here on AtoZ. I can only imagine how much we would benefit from sharing lesson plans!

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

I found a lot of free lesson plans on the internet. One of my favoirte sites is Core Knowledge (google it , it should be the first one)

I also went to JWalsch publishers and each of their books comes with a sample lesson. I downloaded those. If I like how they work I may buy the book, but I still have free lesson materials.

Try googling free _____ lesson plans and see what you find

Of course you can come here any time

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 25, 2007

there is also readwritethink.org. Sometimes I can find things there, sometimes not.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 25, 2007

I would love to see more lesson plans shared.

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

I feel your pain and reading your post makes me understand what a wonderful teacher you are. I do the same thing. I search the internet for everything! For each unit in each subject I am constantly searching for outside materials to make content come to life. It takes time. Last year, I spent sooo much time online. But it's all wort it. For specific questions you can certainly ask them on AtoZ and we all do our best to answer them! I would do both! First, share ideas and ask questions on this site. While waiting for a response, you can search the internet. Another amazing feature is the search option at the top of this page. Type in keywords to see if the question has already been asked. Finally, for content specific information, spend a lot of time on the grade level forums because many times you will find others teachers who are teaching the same thing-sometimes even the same specific novel or unit!
    We all love to share!:wub: Good luck!

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

I hear ya! I do this constantly, and it totally eats up my time. I am never just satisfied to do what the handbook says. I think it's worth it for the kids, and once you have done it, it's yours for life.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

What are you teaching? Grade, material, subject? Let us know... people here are happy to share :)

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 26, 2007

What's funny is that after so many years, there are times I *still* feel like that! I don't think I've ever taught the same unit the same way twice! LOL!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

You're right, even from 1st to 2nd period the spin changes just a bit.

13. Charger

Charger Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I know exactly what you are saying. This is my 4th year and I still spend my time writing lessons. I pull things from previous years, but I am always adding. I used to file everything, but this year I am making a binder and putting everything that I use and like in the binder. This is for Science. I usually reinvent the wheel for Math every year. I am always changing there because I am never happy with what I did the previous year.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2007

The biggest thing for me is that the advanced recommendations aren't enough!! I've always looked PAST the book. Some reading series books, I'd like to say, don't focus on some of the essential reading strategies as much as I would prefer and the mini-lessons I've covered, for starters.

15. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

I've always on the search for hands-on activities. I hate using worksheets. Too bad there isn't a website where teachers can collaborate on ideas. You could search by the type of activity you're trying to do.

16. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Yes, the internet is a teacher's best friend! I found so many lessons and labs for science that I almost don't have to make up my own.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

Why not add your lessons to the AtoZ bank of lessons? Click at the top.

18. NYCTeacher19

NYCTeacher19 New Member

Aug 26, 2007

I recently came across a really helpful site that aggregates all of the useful lesson plan sites and cuts out all of the non-useful stuff that you would get in a general google search. It also cuts out all of those pay sites I feel like I always come across when I search for lesson ideas. Anyway the site is lessonseek.com. It usually helps me find exactly the topic I'm looking for. I'm only going into my second year so I can use all the help I can get :). Hope this helps.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

21. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 27, 2007

Wldywall could you tell me a few of those titles by J walsh publishers.
    :thanks:

22. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2007

23. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2007

Miss Kirby, does this site have lessons for 2nd grade? I can't seem to find the math, science, language arts for 2nd grade.:confused:

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 31, 2007

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who spends alot of time looking for activities not in the book! I'm teaching 2nd grade this year & have spent alot of time looking for different activities & ways to integrate my lessons. My teaching partners keep asking me where I come up with these ideas.

Even though school hasn't started yet, I feel that they're the ones who are teaching from the book. I'm having troubles adjusting to this new team as they have always done the exact same lessons. My previous teams, at this school, have not done things that way. I'm definitely rocking this boat!