I feel like I'm failing in the time of corona...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 15, 2020

Greetings, everyone.

I'm a fifth year high school English teacher. I recently got hired at a nearby school. We're operating on a hybrid schedule because of Covid. It's been really, really challenging.

I feel like I'm failing. I feel like my years of experience have taught me nothing. I really want to go back to school for a degree in education so I can learn how to teach better. I want to learn how to make an effective lesson plan, pacing strategies, differentiation, etc. I never went to school for secondary education; I got hired via alternate route five years ago, and it was a disaster.

Has anyone else been experiencing difficulty adjusting to this new year?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2020

I don't know anyone who isn't having a pretty rough time right now.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 15, 2020

Reach out to the other teachers if you need help with anything. Everyone should be helping one another right now. These are crazy circumstances so do the best you can with what you have.

Tired Teacher, Iris1001 and MrsC like this.
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Sep 15, 2020

It's been a rough time on everyone. You are not alone in struggling to figure out a whole new system that you were never prepared for. That said, there's plenty of resources out there to learn about different strategies; there's books, video lectures, likely classes at your local CC, possibly trainings through your BoE or district, and using your coworkers as a resource.

If you're really starting at square one, I suggest reading up on some of the major players in education and learning theory- Piaget, Vygotsky, Bloom, Gagne, Erikson. . ., and start thinking of ways to apply those theories to your teaching. You've probably heard a million of their terms over your experience, now it's time to start decoding the alphabet soup of acronyms that get thrown around at in-services. Goodness knows, the ed. world loves an acronym.

Tired Teacher, Iris1001 and CherryOak like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 15, 2020

I have a degree in English teaching and 27 years of experience. I'm still barely keeping my head above water this year.

mrsf70, Aces, creativemonster and 4 others like this.
  7. Dino Buenviaje

Dino Buenviaje New Member

Sep 15, 2020

To help, might I suggest Teachers Pay Teachers.

mrsf70, Iris1001 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 16, 2020

Yeah, this is my 23rd year here and I went home with a dang migraine daily trying to get this crap together.

You are not alone! We are all struggling.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2020

I legit cried within the first 15 minutes of our first day of classes. I don't do that. I was completely overwhelmed. Thankfully I was at home and could mute my microphone and shut off my camera while I got it together.

10. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much for your support, everyone.

11. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 16, 2020

This is not teaching - this is surviving until we can go back to teaching (safely).

Iris1001, Tired Teacher, MrsC and 4 others like this.
  12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 17, 2020

One of my professors in college used to say that being an educator was like trying to keep a train running on time. The admin team being the engineer/conductor(s) and the teachers being the car staff. And the passengers? Well that would be the parents and students.

Some days the train isn’t on time and wet hope they understand. The goal of course is to be on time everytime. Some days we’re lucky the station is still standing with the hurricane pulls in. I imagine he would equate Covid to the ice lake scene from the polar express.

nstructor likes this.
  13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 17, 2020

Most times the parents should be outside the train waving as it passes. Not butting in on what's going on on the train and telling the conductor how to run the train.

nstructor and Aces like this.
  14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 17, 2020

Yes yes yes say it again for the people in the back. Unfortunately though, they often feel they know best. (This is why teacher parents are the worst heh). I had to explain to a parent today that no, unfortunately her degree in culinary does not make her a creditable source for her child’s science project. She sent me a long winded email about why she felt magnets were not scientific enough.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 17, 2020

Honestly, I would like to know who would dare knock on the door to the engineer's car and say, "hey buddy, I think you should be going faster. This is nonsense. I need to get to Hoboken and you are going too slow"!!

creativemonster and Aces like this.
  16. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 17, 2020

That’s parents for ya

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 17, 2020

If your trying your best, your not failing your kids this year.
    Society failed them with how we handled all this, but its not your fault.

Tired Teacher and Iris1001 like this.
  18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 18, 2020

Of all the alternatives, hybrid seemed the MOST challenging of all. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Everyone I know is having a hard time teaching this year. Our district decided to give kids the choice of coming or not. Teachers did not get the choice.
    Even with the kids in class, it is very hard and teachers here are stressed. They closed twice already to "deep clean" after Covid cases.
    On top of it all, the teachers are voting to strike very soon.
    1 simple thing that might help you is to ask for the district's pacing guide. They don't always give you 1 unless you ask. It saved me a ton of time when I had to teach a new subject.

Iris1001 likes this.