I feel like I'm drowning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by INhunter, Sep 24, 2013.

1. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

First year teacher here. I'll be brief, because I'm stressed.....maybe I'll get time on the wekeend to type but it's doubtful. I always wanted to be a teacher, but i fell like i'm drowning.

Hopefully you've all been there.....but i feel unhappy tright ow.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 24, 2013

The first year always sucks, and you almost always feel like there's no chance you'll ever catch up. Take as many deep breaths and believe that you can do it.

4. green_tea

green_tea Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

I am in the second half of my first year (started mid year last year) and I feel the same way. I came home and told my husband that I feel like I can't do it.

I totally understand.

5. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Sep 24, 2013

I felt that way last year. It will get better after Christmas break. My advice is to go home at 4 everyday because no matter what, the work will never be done. Also, don't grade everything. I made the mistake of grading every little thing they did. I am on my second year and I feel swamped and like I never do enough, and there is always more more more to do, but I cut it off and force myself to relax. Wearing yourself down will make it worse.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2013

1. Prioritize every task you want to do at the start of each day. Do the things you MUST get done first and then try to start the things that can wait. Make sure you do what needs to be done first; it will help you feel like you have accomplished something AND keep you from falling too far behind. When you have a free moment, try to move on to the stuff that can wait so you can get ahead.

2. Try to take it day by day. When you feel really stressed/overwhelmed, it may only get worse if you start thinking about the rest of the year. You may feel like you won't be able to survive a whole year if things don't improve; so just try to stay in the moment, get through each day and celebrate that. Yes, you should try to plan ahead because being prepared can alleviate your stress; but, try not to dwell too much on what has already happened and what has yet to happen.

Good luck!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 24, 2013

I have definitely been there, and I honestly think that most teachers have, too! After spending 5 years teaching 1st grade, I'm feeling that way again, as I have changed grades, and it's like starting from scratch all over again! Take a minute and breathe. Do something for yourself - go to the gym, take a yoga or stretching class, read a (non-work related) book, pray, meditate, take a walk -- SOMETHING (and don't regret the time/money). Do the best you can, and frequent AtoZ, because the teachers here are a FABULOUS support resource, regardless of grade level. It will get easier!

8. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

Take a deep breath. The first year stinks. My first three years were awful, I hated every moment of every day and wanted to quit. I persevered. I'm on my fourth year now, and everything is finally starting to make sense.
    Hold on, you can do it! Remember, things will get better, and nothing will ever be as bad as your first year. Things get faster: lesson planning, grading, paperwork, etc. Remember this is all new to you, and it's a difficult profession, especially to master because there is no secret formula to doing it, but it will come. It gets better!

9. vlcmchick

vlcmchick Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

I'm with you. This is my first year, and I am one month into the school year. I'm teaching middle school with three preps.

I need to get ahead with my planning--right now I am going week to week--and I just don't know when I will have time to do that. I have made myself a promise that I won't stay at school later than 5, but I am still working on the weekends.

I have no valuable advice to offer, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone. It sucks.

10. kurtbait

kurtbait Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

Stay still, educating children is fun. Think positive. There are other ways to get their attention and made them love learning. Just be patient, you can do it. After all you not the only one in this kind of situation.

11. yelliez

yelliez New Member

Sep 24, 2013

The first year is the worst. I remember being so stressed and overworked it was horrible. I barely saw my husband. They do say it gets better. My first year was a long term subbing position so I feel ya. I always heard it gets better as you go year to year but that first year was nuts. At least you know you are not alone!

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 24, 2013

I felt that way my first year too. It takes time to adjust that in school it was all about getting work done. As a teacher it is all about making a difference and that means deciding what not to do as well as what to do. Prioritize and make it your goal to make a difference in what you teach. Some papers might go ungraded, and some other things might go undone. Focus on what unique gifts you have to offer your students.

Realize, you won't have a week this year that you get all your work done, however you could have many weeks where your students learn a lot, and you make a difference:).

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2013

Take deep breaths; you've found the right people to help.

Let us know, in as much detail as you can, what the specific problems are.

My guess is that Classroom Management is first and foremost, so let me steer you towards some recent threads from other first year teachers struggling with the same thing... you can read before you get the time to fill us in.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=176994

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=176097

As I recall, you were a late hire, and probably didn't have much time for pre-planning before the year started, right? Let us know, as specifically as possible, what topics are coming up (in what courses for what grade level) and let people here help you get on track.

Hang in there, the Cavalry is on the way!

14. marrkede

marrkede Rookie

Sep 25, 2013

Overworke laways causes stress to everyone.I always try to spend few good days to any new best resort in the area near to me.I am agreed that it gets better as you go year to year but that first year was nuts.

15. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Sep 25, 2013

INhunter

Thank you for all of you who have responded.

There is A LOT more for me to type. I have been so overwhelmed that I feel like a failure as of late. I'll let let you all know the details hopefully sometime soon.

I will mention that i had a rude parent call me yesterday and told me that she was not going to put her younger 7th grade son in my science class next year because she thought I was being unfair to her son (whom I currently have) over a lab score.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2013

That seems a little extreme to me.

Was there a rubric? Could the kid have come for extra help? Did he ask any questions.

(And, as an aside, in my school, administrators place kids, not parents.)

Make sure administration is aware of the issue ASAP. They can't back a teacher against a parent if they have no idea of the teacher's side of the story.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2013

Make sure you can back up any grade you give a child, especially when you are a new teacher since people are more likely to question you. And I mean ironclad back up. This helps you CYA and makes it easier for Admin to back you.

Sometimes, parents like to bully teachers (especially new ones) to get what they want or think their child deserves. If you have no documentation or solid/objective proof, you may have a hard time defending yourself with aggressive parents.