I feel like I have an addiction.......

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Dec 22, 2011.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 22, 2011

to my work. :eek: I am on vacation and I find myself thinking of my classroom and things I want to plan. I feel like I need an intervention. :whistle: Am I alone or does anyone else experience this?????

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

This is the first year (in my 7) that I haven't done what you are describing.

I think it is common, particularly with newish teachers that are very motivated and love their job.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 22, 2011

but I am not a newish teacher. I have been teaching for 20+ yrs.

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 22, 2011

I will admit to being addicted to this forum during my break, but my actual classroom is a million miles away right now.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2011

I have been teaching for 25 years and I STILL think of things to do in the classroom when I'm on break. :) I write them all down so I don't forget them when it comes time to use them.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

You're not alone! This is my fourth year and I am really into my job. I love it! I've been to my room twice now, decluttering and going through things other teachers have given me. I am planning a lot for January. My husband says I am addicted...

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 22, 2011

We are reading a teacher site during vacation. We are all addicted.

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 22, 2011

Exactly. Part of the fun of vacation for me is having time to work on projects/plans that I want to do for the classroom and the kids.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2011

I wake up every morning of my break thinking about lesson plans, and things I want to do in the class. I have to yell at myself (in my head of course) to stop thinking about work.

11. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 29, 2011

That's funny. Don't you think we are better teachers when we are constantly looking for ways to do this or that better? I hope I never stop wanting to improve, but I do have to manage my "down time" to enjoy family and get my house cleaned! ;)

12. ally06

ally06 Companion

Dec 29, 2011

I used to do this a lot but not so much any more. I usually find that at least once during a break I find myself in the mood to do some planning or preparation so I quickly get a bit done. Other than that, though, I tend to enjoy doing things not related to work!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

It varies for me year to year. We implemented Reading Workshop sort of suddenly in November and I have spent so much time, energy, and brain power on it that I really needed a break and did not spend as much time this year as I have in the past, but I have still been working on plans and thinking about things here and there. I also have 18 month old twins and I love to spend extra time with them when I have it.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2011

This vacation I haven't been thinking too much of planning, but have been brushing up and reading articles and watching videos on teaching strategies. That is what I tend to do on break.

15. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

so i have what is left of this week and all of next week before returning to class. But now I am moving I am beginning to enjoy the time off.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011

I use planning instead of counting sheep. It takes my mind off other stresses so I can fall asleep.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

It depends on the year, I guess. This year I've been playing around with some powerpoints. Now that I have a huge screen in the classroom, I can build up my powerpoint library. Plus, I've enjoyed the "creative" part of making them.

But now I'm stuck. I have to figure out how to present a few more concepts: quotation marks, apostrophes, and some spelling rules. Dull concepts. I'm about to check out what is out there already and see if it matches what I need.

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

Did the spelling one and had a blast doing it. Someday I'm going to figure out how to put them on some kind of shared site. I'm being very careful to use clip art that isn't "owned" by anyone, so it makes it a bit harder. But I enjoyed creating this last one most of all.

19. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Seems I never stop thinking about work. On vacation or just out & about even my husband used to be on the look out for things I could use or do in class. :lol: I could (do when can) spend hours in the library & in teacher stores like Lakeshore, just browsing (a lot of dreaming too, if only I was rich...) I do love love love looking through resource books & reading & sharing on atoz & other teacher sites. A great way to keep learning & relax at the same time!
    A big thanks to all of you! It's great to have a place like this where we can exchange ideas, suggestions, advice, laugh, cry, vent, ask for prayer, and totally understand & "get" where each is coming from.
    :love: Wishing you & your families a blessed, healthy new year!! :hugs:

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Have been teaching since 1978, and still am online checking what can I do to get the class excited when we get back! That is the mark of a true teacher! LOL!:haha:

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Dec 31, 2011

I'm in my fourth year of teaching and I definitely spent a lot of time planning and a few hours grading over the break. The first week of break, I probably put in 20 hours of planning while sitting around watching TV. One of my classes is planned all the way through next month. My job is sending me to a conference for a week, so I had to really sit down and think about activities that would help my students learn without being thwarted by their laziness and willingness to cheat. This was particularly important since I would miss roughly 1/6 of the grading period so I can't just leave a video.

22. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

33 years of teaching. I have to ask, when do you plan on retiring?

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

I got my new job this Sept & the most I do is check my work email in the evenings at home sometimes & even on some of the Mondays I have off, which I plan to eventually cut down down on, but I don't think constantly about work. I know it's easier said than done, but you have to put your mind on other things. Take the dog for a walk, go to an evening yoga class, take up fun classes at your local community centers/colleges, etc.

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

I am @ the grocery store and I see a child with his Mom, and he is screaming for something that he can't get! I walk over and talk to him, "That is not going to get you what you want. Walk over to Mom and tell her you love her. After she pays attention to you, THEN you nicely ask her for that toy you want!" I know the answer will still be NO, but at least I won't have to hear the screaming while I am thinking about what I need to buy for my next week's plan; which got muffled 'cause of that kid's noise.:D
    I am addicted...
    Rebel1

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jan 2, 2012

Well, they keep changing the rules here in NJ, so it does not look like anytime soon! :lol:

Plus, at age 58 (I am proud to say that!), I find I still love the job, as I have had lots of different grade-level opportunities, both inside and outside of school. Don't get me wrong...there are some classes that come through that I say, well, I think it's time, but they all move on.

How about you?

26. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 2, 2012

Oh yes, I do the same! An Pinterest only adds to it--I spent my whole Thanksgiving break creating things I see on there!

27. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2012

I look forward to retirement. Not just from teaching, but work overall.