I feel like I am burning out

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

I know many of us hit this while searching and we just have to keep going. But today I feel like I can't do this anymore. I am so tired of sending out applications and applying, applying, applying.

I thought I might apply for an enrichment position in a priority district that is 10 min. from my home. I have always stayed away from this district; it has a bad rep. But I thought, well, I'll give it a go, enrichment has always appealed to me and it's a job. I do know two people who work there and have stayed because they are dedicated and love the students, although the admin. apparently leaves something to be desired.

So i am trying to type up my cover letter and the words just won't flow. I have two dozen cover letters in my file and I can't write one today! Tried to edit an old one for this job and it doesn't sound right. I guess I need a break!

Thanks for listening. There is no real point to this post, just me venting, I guess!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

:hugs: Go do something for a little while that relaxes you and then go take another look at the letter. We all need a break sometimes!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

Job hunting can become extremely tiring and draining. Especially with the way the economy is right now....

I agree with Leigh, take a break. Your mind is probably tired and numb right now. One thing I sometimes do is I just write and write and write from the heart. Sometimes that helps and I can go back and make it more professional sounding.

5. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

I vote for taking a break too. When I was job searching I had to take a couple of weekends off from doing anything relating to getting a job. It had become my entire life and I was way too stressed out.

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 11, 2012

I remember one of my English teachers in high school encouraged students to take a break from writing if the words were not flowing. Take some time to do something fun and clear your head. Hopefully you'll be able to write your cover letter when you return.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

Thanks everyone. I took a break and went back and did it. Applied for some elementary positions that they have while I was at it.

I will admit I have stayed away from this district because they have this bad rep, but as so many of you suggested, you can't really reject a district until you have at least interviewed and heard what they have to say. I know a lot of teachers who won't apply there, and some who seem to think that anyone who would work there must be desperate. But I also know people who work there who are anything but desperate. They are very hard-working, dedicated professionals.

I cast aside my doubts and pride, and just clicked submit. Thanks for the encouragement!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

I worked for a district for a few years. They were known as the most awesome district. It was THE district to work for. Heh... turned out they were pretty corrupt, the super was just fired, etc. So, def. give them a shot. You might be surprised. And, beggers can't be choosers.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

Thanks, Peachyness, it's true. I worked in a high-performance district once that wasn't all that. I also just interviewed the other day in a very wealthy district and I really didn't like the feel of the place. So you just never know!

10. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

I really I have nothing else new to offer other than what others have already have mentioned. In this economy, you just can't be too choosy. I would go ahead and apply to this district. You never know what they have to offer until you at least try them out. And if they offer you a job, then that's all the better.

As far as job hunting goes, as a fellow job hunter, I agree it gets tiring. I have to take days off at times, because I just get tired of the whole process.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2012

Well, I know one thing they will offer me is the lowest pay in the area, but that's still a whole lot more than I'm making now. ;). The good thing is it is only 12 min. from my house. My DH is hearing rumors that teachers are leaving there in droves due to some reforms that the union doesn't approve of. I don't know what to think, but if I get a call, I will go. Thanks for responding! :)

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Then it sounds like some positions should be opening up. Keep it positive.

13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 12, 2012

I know location has been the most important criteria for you. This job would certainly fulfull that.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 12, 2012

That's so true. And it's very thoughtful of you to remember that! :hugs:

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 12, 2012

:thanks:

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Fingers and toes are crossed for you to at least have the chance to see what its like through an interview (and hopefully a job!)

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 12, 2012

Thanks, Leighball! I applied for a total of 4 positions: gifted and talented, and grades 1,3, and 4. I have experience in all but gifted, however I have a science degree that might lean them in my direction on that one. So I'm hoping I would be considered for at least one of them.

I haven't heard from the high falutin' district that is 45 min. away. I'm feeling like I'd rather work in a priority district that is close to me than a very fancy one that is far away.

Here's hoping.....