I feel like a terrible reading teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teachings4Me, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 23, 2011

So report cards are going home tomorrow and I have a student with an incredibly low reading grade.... an F to be exact. With my small class size and extra tutoring, I feel like there's no reason she should have such a low grade. Her comprehension skills are good and she has been taught some good decoding strategies that she demonstrates, but I'm at a loss of what to do to help her... her word recall is poor.... she'll see it in one sentence and then won't recognize it again on the next page... There are also some apparent dyslexia issues. Besides Language Arts, she's doing okay overall. I just know that if I don't improve her reading skills now, she'll be lost in a larger class size next year. Her attitude towards reading has improved which I'm thrilled about but I'm halfway through the year and haven't made much progress with her... Any suggestions would be helpful...
    :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

Have you spoken to your child study team?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2011

What is a child study team exactly?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

Mine is an office of professionals who oversee special Ed services, work with the intervention and referral committee, observe students and offer strategies to their teachers, assess students for learning disabilities, serve as a parent and teacher resource, manage the casework of our special Ed and special needs students...OT,Speech,Special Ed fall under the CST umbrella.

6. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 23, 2011

Yes, I have. I was told if I'm not worried about her not passing the second grade, then I just need to continue working with her. She's very capable in all areas except reading, so basically they're more concerned with other children that are in danger of retention or that have demonstrated needs for testing and possible IEPs.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

Document all of the interventions and modifications you are making...it seems to me that if this child is doing well in all other areas and just struggles with word recall that there could be some language processing issues. Would your school speech therapist do an informal observation of your student?

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2011

I am so sorry for you and this child. It also seems with an attitude like that I would highly doubt that the school provides approrpiate services for those with disabilities.

The reason this young child is successful in other areas is that the students aren't reading to learn but still learning to read. This child is being set up for future failure, not by you but by the system you are working in.

What reading interventions have you tried? Is it mutli-sensory? How much time is spent on decoding making the skills automatic? For dyslexics this requires multi-sensory reading instruction and lots of it. Now, unless you are in Texas, you can't mention dyslexia. However, it does seem that the evaluation needs to be done whether or not the child will be retained. There is nothing in the law that says that the child even has to be failing to be tested and received services for special education. They can be passing from grade to grade.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 23, 2011

How is the child at consistently recognizing the same word in isolation?

10. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 23, 2011

Perhaps I could get the speech path to do something... the problem is that we're a new charter school and have limited resources so they're really trying to focus their efforts on the kids with the most concerns.... It took me several months to get the speech path to evaluate one of my students that came from another school and had speech services previously so I don't think this would happen very quickly. Not the speech path's fault, as they are only there twice a week with many students to meet with.... so I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

I'm going to do some progress monitoring with her again tomorrow to see if she's made any strides in the past couple of weeks. I've been doing a lot of work with high frequency word flash cards and I hope that maybe that would help. Last time she read 27 words. She should be at 90 by the end of the year. If she doesn't make much improvement, then I'm going to check with the first grade teacher to see what interventions she may have available. Our school teaches the Core Knowledge sequence but we only have the reading materials for K and 1 this year but from what I hear, the 1st and K teachers like it as a reading and phonics program....

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

My thought would be to try to progress monitor her weekly/biweekly to see if what you are doing is making any difference. Try an intervention for 6-12 weeks and see if it is making any difference. If yes, stick with it. If no, you might need to add or change the intervention.

What is she being graded on that would have her earn an F?

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

Also, what is her reading level? I always think of a reading grade as the child's effort and their participation in reading groups. I have a student that sounds very much like yours. At the beginning of year he was able to read 7 words in a minute. Now he can read 10 words correctly, 10 incorrectly. He is identified as LD. We are trying SRA with him, where he is working on putting sounds together to read words. Guided reading doesn't seem to be working with him, because as you said, he doesn't retain words he has previously read. For example: we read a book called Animals in the City. We get to the last page, and he is still sounding out "animals" (and how many times do you think this word appeared in the text). Same thing yesterday happened with a book on seasons. He has gone from a DRA of 4 to a 6. So he has made very little progress. We are looking at retention to give him some extra time to catch up.

If she's really that low, I would check with the lower grade teachers ASAP for strategies. But stick to one or two... don't overload her! Also, talk to her previous teacher. I always go to the previous teacher immediately when I realize something is up with a child. They can give you a lot of info about what works/doesn't work for that child... it saves a lot of time and energy trying out things that don't work.