I feel like a little kid...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 21, 2013

...on the night before the first day of school. :D

My first PD meeting starts tomorrow morning at 8:00, and I'm ecstatic! This will be my first "teacher" meeting, and I will finally meet all of the other teachers at my school.

I already have my alarm set, outfit layed out, binder ready, and map printed out. I think it may be a little bit strange how excited I am...

I'm starting to hope I'm not the only first year teacher who feels this way...

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 21, 2013

I'm excited but I have a little while to wait. I have new teacher orientation august 15, planning august 16-20 and then first day on the 21st. I'm still in the process of moving and getting everything settled. I haven't even touched my classroom yet but I have plenty of time so I'm not too concerned.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 21, 2013

Oh my gosh Mrs. Giggles, I just love your posts. :D You sound EXACTLY like I felt last year (my first year)!! Have an amazing time! I'm so excited for you.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I love your enthusiasm! It reminds me so much of myself several years ago. :)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

Have fun and enjoy it! I still get excited (and even a little bit anxious) to start a new year.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

Love the enthusiasm, Mrs.Giggles! Have fun today!

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 22, 2013

I'm not a new teacher, but I'll be at a new school this year and I feel the same way! I go back on the 12th.

Enjoy your first day!! :D

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I am this way! I was this way last week when I only had a school meeting for a few hours. Outfit laid out, materials pre-printed with notes added, and I even made myself a little pencil pouch for my binder :lol:

I hope you have a wonderful first day!

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

It's great that you're so excited!

When I was a kid, I was never able to sleep before the first day of school. Now, as a teacher, it's the same. I show up with big, dark circles under my eyes because I've been up all night in anticipation.

11. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2013

It's awesome that your excited! I feel the same way! I start next Tues. and was wondering how I should dress for orientation and for the first day of PD and stuff! Please let me know how your school dresses ........ I am stressing!

Let us know how it goes!

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Thank you for this post, Mrs. Giggles...because it's great, as a veteran teacher, to re-live the excitement of a teacher's first year. :)

Even now..19 years later, I still get excited the night before the first day of school...so I don't think that ever wears off.

And I hope it never does.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I think your excitement is refreshing! I felt the same way my first year, as well. I still get excited at the beginning of each school year. I still enjoy relevant PD meetings as well. Have a great first day and tell us all about it when you return.

14. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I'm happy for you! I was excited last summer for my first PD. The principal (who I'd only met at my interview) offered to pick me up so we could all "bond" on the trip to and from training (it was an hour from my house, and two hours from hers). She, another teacher, and I rode together back and forth for six days--it was great to spend time and get to know them; unfortunately, the training we went to was mind-bogglingly boring, ha ha.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

This fall will be my 5th year teaching and I feel like that before the first day, too! Hope you had an awesome day!

16. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 24, 2013

Thank you all! My three days of professional development are now over! I now have about four days to relax/stress/work at home until I start New Teacher Training.

The PD was over assessment literacy, and I gained quite a bit of information on how I can guide assessment in my classroom. However, I also feel incredibly overwhelmed. The presenters said that this is normal as they just piled so much on us these past three days. We did get a chance to debrief as a school, and assessment literacy will be the center of our PD for the 2013-2014 school year.

I truly enjoyed the PD, and I feel that all of the staff at my school really hit it off which is great! I am just now getting that familiar nervousness and anxiety that seems to hit many new teachers. As excited as I am for this opportunity, I'm nervous as all he!!. This didn't kick in until this week, but I'm thinking it's normal. I keep thinking, "What if I fail?" "What if I'm not good enough?" "What if I can't control my classroom?" Ugh...

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

It's great to see your enthusiasm! Do you mind sharing what part of Missouri you're from? I'm from Missouri, my whole family is still there, and my mom and aunt teach there (my grandma and uncle also did at one point). You can message me if you don't want to post it on here!

18. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I am about to start my 12th year at the same school and in the same grade level for the last 9 years and I still get nervous and excited.

19. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

To me, those are indicators that you're going to be a heck of a teacher! :) It means you CARE.

You'll be just fine and we'll be here to help!

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

You won't fail because you are obviously reflecting on your practice already and care enough to make adjustments! You EARNED this position.... hundreds of teachers wanted it and you got it! Have an awesome year!

21. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

Twenty years later I am still dealing with the "what if" questions! Trust me, I think you are in the normal range on being nervous. I even have weird dreams/nightmares about school in the weeks before we start!

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2013

I'm entering my 6th year of teaching, and I'm still as excited as year 1, maybe even more so, because I'll be teaching 3rd this year! I've been excited all summer!