I feel like a failure.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Boba, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I resigned from my job in NV to move back to CA to be closer to my family. I've had quite a few interviews and no offers. I'm not new in education either. I've had 3 years of school counseling experience and around 4 years of substitute teaching. This is how my interviews each went (from the ones I remember!)

Interview 1- Was a general interview with the school district (not the actual school). I felt like I had this but when I didn't hear back from the district, I emailed HR and found out they already made their selection. They were hiring 5 school counselors so hearing I wasn't 1 of them hurt.

Interview 2- Was a part time job where the interview was at a school. Interview also went really well. Got a letter in the email 2 weeks later saying I didn't get it.

Interview 3- I admit this wasn't a school I wanted (far drive, didn't care for the people interviewing me, bad pay, charter school). Interview was okay, haven't heard back at all from the school but it's okay as I do not want that position anyway.

Interview 4- Great interview until they asked me a question in which I have never heard of the vocabulary that they used. I gave a very vague answer and I think they knew I didn't understand the terminology lol. 3 days later, received a call from the principal stating I didn't get the job.

Interview 5- Was a phone interview for a charter school. Realized it was a part time position with no possibility to become full time. The pay was bad, no benefits, and from speaking to them they seemed to sort of imply that although the job was part time, it would be "great" if I could "volunteer" the other days at the school. They ended up inviting me for a 2nd interview which would be me interviewing and doing 2 demo lessons for different grade levels. I ended up declining the 2nd interview. I realized I couldn't afford to relocate for a part time job with no benefits where they expect me to come in for free the other days.

Interview 6- This one really got to me sadly. The hiring for their counseling positions is a bit different from other schools. I made it past the interview with the director, but then they review your application and everything to put you on what's called an eligibility list which doesn't guarantee employment (you would just get a call from the director asking you if you want a certain assignment). I was then directed to go to HR to double check documents and stuff (took 5 minutes). Was told I would know within 2 weeks if I was eligible to be placed on a list. Well today was 2 weeks and I received an email stating I wasn't found eligible. I REALLY thought I would be on that list. I have looked up people hired in that department and many have less experience than me and don't have as many credentials as me relevant to that line of work. To top it off, they were hiring SEVERAL people in that department =( I asked if I could have a substitute teacher interview but I'm waiting to hear back.

I know I'm interviewing well as almost every question for school counselors is the exact same. My references are also fine. It also isn't like I have no experience. When I've asked if they could give me feedback why I didn't get whatever job, it was the vague answer "We went with someone with more experience who better fit our school".

I have 2 interviews Monday. One is part time, bad pay (but I wouldn't have to move) at an adult school. I honestly have no idea why I was called to interview as I don't feel I would be the best candidate for that because adult schools are very new to me. The other is a 10 minute screening interview with HR where the district consists of 4 schools and they may be hiring at most 2 counselors.

I have a feeling I have just been that 5th interview or so that many schools need in order to suffice HR requirements.

I haven't even been getting interviews to substitute teach just to have a job and some cash coming in. I've read on this forum that many people got their jobs merely from subbing, but I've found in many districts it doesn't work that way anymore due to HR policies so you guys are very lucky!

It's 1 day before August and most schools here start within 2 weeks. I'm almost 31 years old and living with my parents right now. It stinks when you cannot even get an interview to substitute teach which doesn't even pay well. I could tutor for $20 an hour a few hours a week, work retail, or waitress. I love school counseling but honestly, I'm starting to think I should have gone to school for something where jobs are more in demand.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I read some of your threads. What you said in your first post sounds all to familiar to me. I didn't read the other 90 something pages though. Do you have a job now?

5. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I'm on page 26 of your thread now!

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 31, 2015

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2015

Ummm......
    I quit. So no. I went from a terrible charter, to a great long term, to a 90-mile (one-way) commute at a decent school all during the 2013-2014 school year. For 2014-2015, I accepted a job near my hometown. It was a nightmare. A broken wrist and multiple death threats later, I quit. I did finish the year. Right now, I am job searching. Again.

8. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I'm in the San Fernando Valley. I check and apply on jobs on Edjoin multiple times a day =(

I'm basically applying for jobs throughout LA County, San Diego County, Orange County, and Ventura County.

I was looking into going to a cosmetology school at local adult schools during the evenings while I job search, but the programs that aren't at actual cosmetology schools (Don't want to spend the money for something I'm not serious about) are all in the daytime.

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

I hope it works for you. When you aren't teaching what do you do for money?

10. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 31, 2015

Acsi.org is where all the christian schools post jobs....not sure if you'd be in to working at a private school but something is better than nothing. I teach at an adult school....try community college level??

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2015

I've always been able to land a job. I had to sub for a month, but I was staying with my parents during that month.
    Because I'm over bad conditions, I have been super picky about where I am applying to this year. I've been considering non-teaching jobs, too. I'd rather leave the profession for a year than take another job where I will deal with violence and theft on a daily basis.

12. Boba

Boba Companion

Jul 31, 2015

Thank you except I'm not a Christian and I think a lot of those schools want someone who matches what they call the faith requirement.

13. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

I don't think being Christian is always necessary to teach at a Christian school. I interviewed at a Catholic school earlier this week and the principal said that being Catholic or religious at all wasn't a requirement of the job. The teacher just had to be willing to teach religion. Not being Catholic, I'd look at teaching religion as another class where I'd have to learn the content before teaching it to my students.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 1, 2015

I think your location is your main problem, unfortunately. It sounds like you are doing all you can in a very difficult market. Counselor positions have been stretched so thin that there just aren't very many of them, unfortunately. I know that many counselors in southern CA are covering multiple schools.

Are you considering commuting to some of those places from the valley? Yikes, especially San Diego. If you are considering moving, what about the Inland Empire? I think they might actually have more jobs than some of those other areas. OC is a notoriously horrendous market for education jobs.

15. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 1, 2015

I would move if I was offered something full time in San Diego or OC. I actually have an interview Monday in Laguna Beach but I'm not counting on getting it (I think that district has less than 5 counselors). I've had 2 interviews this summer in OC and no offers.

Probably not the IE. I just cannot see myself living there.

16. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 3, 2015

Had interview 7 and 8 today.

Interview 7- Went well, but part time online and I think it's one of those jobs where even though it's part time, you're expected to work full time. I'm noticing that trend in education.

Interview 8- I got invited for a panel interview. Around 20 people were selected in the screening today, and 5 were chosen to have a panel interview. Even though it's exciting that I got chosen, I have a feeling I was the token person to interview (I don't want to say anything too politically incorrect on here).

I also got a call to interview somewhere else in 2 weeks (principal is going on vacation. Secretary was funny and told me she liked talking to me on the phone LOL.

I'm happy to be getting interviews, I just wish I got 1 offer.

17. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 3, 2015

Part time is the new full time?

I feel for you Boba. I see alot of part time jobs lately and I agree that you will most likely be required to work full time while being paid a part time salary. I went on an interview today that was part time and hourly, although it was not advertised like that. Not great. Tomorrow is another interview and I am getting jaded.

:dizzy:

What we could both use is a little luck!

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2015

Do you have a teaching certificate? Getting a teaching job in your preferred district might get your foot in the door until something opens up for you.

(I say this because every counselor I have known has had classroom experience and were certified before getting their certification for counseling. I apologize if this isn't how it's done in your state.)

19. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 3, 2015

Yes!! I'm seeing a ton of part time positions out there. When I've interviewed for some, they say the reason that they are hiring is because the counselor before was full time but due to saving money, they had to make the job part time so they left to find a full time position.

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow! I'm trying not to get jaded. It's hard when you are driving all over counties just for a short interview!

20. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 3, 2015

I was a substitute teacher for many years and a special ed teacher briefly. While I enjoyed teaching, it's not for me. I'm considering going back to it only if I cannot find a counseling job anytime soon. With teaching (especially sped), I very much felt "trapped". I felt like if a kid misbehaved if was always reflected off me that I could have prevented the behavior. The biggest factor is (and this is with all teachers), sometimes you have great classes which makes for a good year, and other times you have an awful class. I don't think I could ever go back knowing I'm having a bad group.

21. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 4, 2015

No I sympathize with you too! Charter Schools to me have always been a last resort. I just feel like certain rules don't apply to them and they are just very different from traditional public schools. I worked at one (although I actually liked it) where I was never given a job description no matter how many times I asked, and I was never given a clear time on my hours. WTF?

I'm not sure of your age, if you have a spouse, or kids but I've lived in places I really HATED just to get it on my resume. Looking back on it, I actually don't think it's a good idea to have done what I done (many people would tell you differently). I think when you hate where you are living it could potentially affect your personality at work. Also unless you have debt or a mouth to feed, I've learned I have to like where I'm living.

I've actually grown to like living back with my parents (it's comfortable!), but I think they want me out of the house as well (my father even said "You are getting too comfortable being back here!").

I hear you about schools who expect you to spend hundreds of dollars just to do a quick interview! I've had someone refuse Skype interviews with me so I declined the interview (honestly, if they cannot work with someone living so far away, it shows that THEY aren't flexible).

I have an interview a little over 2 hours away tomorrow (I'm getting exhausted of driving honestly) in San Diego, but I'm cool with the drive as long as it isn't THAT long. I also sub in San Diego and I have an active employee number. I really hope that adds points to me during the interview because usually the hiring is much faster to hire someone who already is in the district.

22. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 4, 2015

It's like we are twins. 31 and moved back with my parents last year. I moved back to PA from NC five years ago to be closer to family. It's been 5 years and I have yet to obtain a full time job. I've only had a couple of interviews but not many. I choked at the interviews because I get too nervous anymore because I've lost so much hope in myself. It's hard not to lose hope. I have good days, bad days, okay days....I've been more in a funk this summer. I think that if I don't get something in the next year, I will need to move on and start a new chapter in my life. It sucks...maybe something good will happen this month. Best wishes to you.

23. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 4, 2015

Oh gosh I'm so sorry to hear that. =( Have you been working outside of education?

I mean on one hand I feel worse than you. I'm getting many interviews but no offers. It gets me paranoid even though I believe I have good references.

24. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I sympathize with you, Boba. I've spent a lot of time wondering exactly what I'm doing wrong myself. I did end up altering my resume thanks to advice I found here and actually got an interview. Haven't heard back from them, though, and the job isn't listed anymore. I've been taking that as I didn't get the job, but count the interview as a win. It's the only one I've had since May 2014.

25. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 5, 2015

What do you teach? I hope you get something soon!

26. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 5, 2015

So I had an interview today. Left my house at 5:30AM for a 9:30am interview and left right at 9:45. The principal seemed fairly nice and said they may actually end up having 2 openings. The secretary said he's taking his vacation soon and would probably have an answer my the end of the week. Again like with the 2nd interview I have with another school next week, there were a TON of people there interviewing all for the same position. This (and the one on Monday) are excellent schools (almost like private schools). The principal seemed really interested I had a stack of resumes and what not to share during the interview and he on his own picked up my resume (usually I give this to them at the end of the interview). I was hoping I would actually hear back today. It seemed like he was going to check out a reference as the last question he asked me wasn't on the question chart (he said what would John Smith, my last reference say about me). I might be reading it to that though.

I also contacted my last reference John Smith to let him know that he may get calls from me during this time. He said 1 person did so far yesterday (the part time local one), and that he left the principal a message but he didn't return his call :confused: I emailed the principal saying John Smith said to call him when it was the most convenient for him and that I still am interested (of the 3 remaining possibilities, it's honestly my last choice). I hope this doesn't mean he ended up hiring someone else because he got to speak to their reference a day earlier than mine.

27. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I teach social studies. I knew that social studies would be competitive, so it's not like I had no idea what I was getting into. I just didn't realize that I wouldn't get any interviews until over a year after I got my certification. Which is, of course, probably my fault as well for doing something wrong on the resume or cover letter. But still. Absolute silence is a total enthusiasm killer.

28. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Aug 5, 2015

Getting a counseling job in CA is tough. DOn't take it personal.

29. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 6, 2015

Anon, yeah NV in general is desperate for teachers (all cities). If someone doesn't mind moving, you can get a job easily. That's where I moved back from.

I can only see paying for a flight if the school gave you a ton of notice of an interview and could be flexible with you with the date and time. I had an interview 4 years ago where they gave me maybe 4 days notice and refused to do a Skype interview. They said to me if I really wanted it that I would fly. After spending hundreds of dollars on a flight and rental car (I didn't even spend a few hours as I just drove to and from the interview), I received an email back stating I didn't get the job. Guess who got it? 2 people already at that school who were certified to be counselors! They knew ahead of time who was going to get the job! They just needed their "5th" person to follow protocol.

With Tijuana, LMAO I've thought about moving to Rosarito myself!

Anyway so far today I haven't heard from 2 of the jobs yet. I actually now have my 10th interview on Tuesday. Yep 10th interview in 2 months. I'm starting to feel like I'm just being interviewed for protocol and not because anyone is actually interested in hiring me.

30. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 6, 2015

It took me 13 interviews year one and 11 interviews year two to land jobs. Try to hang in there. My area of California has a wave of hiring happening right now.

Good luck.

31. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 6, 2015

Thanks. My friends who are in private sector believe the reason why I'm not getting jobs has to be due to having no skills or interviewing poorly. I don't think it's either of those for me!

On to interview 10 (2nd round) next week along with interview 11.

I've been applying to jobs in LA County,Ventura County, Santa Barbara, Orange County, and San Diego County.

32. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 7, 2015

Well I thought I would have heard back from at least 1 of the 2 jobs I'm waiting to hear back from. Heard nothing. I did get a call for another interview though.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2015

Have you researched the market in San Diego County? While the county boasts almost 90 school districts of varying sizes and grade spans, it tends to be a net exporter of new teachers looking for jobs, because it's home to the primary or sole campuses of SDSU, CSUSM, UCSD, USD, Point Loma Nazarene, and National, not to mention a couple of smaller programs like SDCC and satellite programs of Azusa Pacific, Biola, Chapman/Brandman, Claremont, La Verne, Pepperdine, Phoenix, Redlands, and I'm sure I'm missing several.

34. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 7, 2015

Yes. I've had interviews with a charter there and San Diego Unified. I've applied for positions in Sweetwater, San Ysidro, Chula Vista, Coronado, and anyone else on Edjoin.

35. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 11, 2015

Had my 10th interview for a CA counseling job yesterday. It was the 2nd interview for this tiny, "elite" district. My interview was okay. I don't think it was a great interview but it wasn't awful. They asked me 12 questions in front of 6 people (I'm used to panel interviews but it was the amount of questions and some questions itself which threw me off). I was nervous in the whole interview. There was 1 question that really required me to stop and think about my experiences but there was no time so I really just had to give the first thing that came to mind (not good). There were a few other questions which I know they wanted me to expand on but I was brief. Some were honestly yes or no answers but of course they want an explanation with them. At the end of the interview they said that there's 1 more interview (if I make it that far). I've had the 2 round interviews before but never 3. I already felt like I repeated the exact same answers the 2nd round because some of the questions were the exact same questions. If I make it to the final 3rd interview I think it would be because they liked me and not because I gave great responses (when I was on the interview we had to score the interviews and the best interviewee always got the job NOT the person who we thought would be the best person for the job).

Today I have interview 11 and 12. Both are strictly HR rounds however with interview 12, I believe they could just put me on a placement list where the district just assigns me 2 or 3 schools to be a counselor at (honestly, I prefer that anyway because I like movement).

I got an email yesterday for an interview 45 minutes from my family for Thursday which is an HR interview as well so that will be interview 13.

I'm trying not to have an attitude or anything but I am tired of just going on interviews. I wish I could take a break from interviewing.

36. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 11, 2015

Stay positive...things will work out.......Just think you ARE getting interviews, many people are not.

Good luck!

37. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 11, 2015

The fact that you are getting interviews says the resume and skill set is right. I am going to agree with the friends - I suspect that you are not interviewing quite as well as you believe you are. However, you can get help with interviewing skills. Would it hurt to explore that possibility?

38. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 11, 2015

I have a background in career counseling and have done mock interviews. The only suggestion I have ever had was to speak slower. I'm not trying to sound like I have an ego, but my dress and content are always on par.

At this point I really do think many of these jobs go to friends of people already in the district or at the site, people already in the district, or sometimes people who just honestly do have more experience.

Also (again I'm not trying to sound like I'm in love with myself or anything), I'm young, in shape, long blonde hair, and attractive. I often think middle aged women or women who are overweight may be intimated by that. Granted many people won't find that as a reason not to hire, a few people I have spoken to said that's the reason why many young women don't get jobs in female dominated fields. Three men I told to said that to me when I mentioned having difficulty getting a job after an interview as did my non male doctor (I have interesting talks with my doctor). I hate sounding like women are petty because I don't think most are! I did work at a school where there were a lot of women clearly jealous and hateful toward in shape, attractive workers (not necessarily me!).

Another thing (not related to the interview itself though) that I definitely could see being a drawback is that I have worked in the last few years in a few different districts. Usually that's a reason though not to even get the first interview. When I've met with a career counselor for mock interviews,looking over a cover letter/resume, etc. they told me NEVER to bring up that I have lived and worked in a few different districts and only to address it if someone during the interview mentions it. Since I've been interviewing for the school year only 1 person asked me about it.

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 11, 2015

If you are going to play the "I'm too pretty and women are jealous of me" card, is there a second card that covers "men are attracted to me because I'm so pretty?" I am one of those middle-aged women you are talking about, and the only thing that impresses me about other teachers is superior teaching skills. I am intimidated when others have education in a field I am interested in, but have never been able to explore. As far as looks, they are here today, gone tomorrow for most of us, but the mind continues to improve if properly stimulated. Some of my best friends are young and beautiful, so I do take some objection to your assessment.

I would kindly agree to disagree about who gets hired and their possible affiliation with staff members. Your final paragraph may be the most telling, though. I would agree that frequent job changes raises big question marks. You may be interviewed to see if they can understand the rotation through jobs since your resume and skills are obviously good enough to earn the interview in the first place. Just because only one interviewer asked about the job changes, I wouldn't go so far as to believe that only one caught that information when reviewing your application.

Teaching is a female dominated field, and most of us co-exist quite well, new pretty inexperienced ones all the way through to the old ones looking forward to retirement. I don't think we are as vile and spiteful as you seem to think.

Thank you for pointing out that beauty and age won't get you far, because that must mean that experience and expertise really matter.

40. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 11, 2015

You are more than welcome to your opinion! I just found in 1 schools I worked at, I had no "friends" and I'm certain it was due to my looks. In another I saw one person get attacked regularly who I believed was great at her job. The ones attacking her were middle aged, overweight women.

Just my opinion and observations. I think it's great you haven't seen that. Good to know.

41. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 11, 2015

Well found out that the 2nd interview I had yesterday would not lead to the final interview. I pretty much figured that. I was nervous in the interview and know I probably didn't interview the best out of the other few candidates yesterday. I emailed them about getting feedback so I could improve. When I've called and emailed other principals/HR, I just get the general answer "We went with someone with more experience." I'm waiting to get advice beyond that but I don't expect it.

Had 1 interview today in a nice, midsize district for a middle school. 4 of the middle schools are hiring and all of the principals were there including the counseling director of the district and an HR person. Overall I think the interview went well but at the end when they gave me time to add things and ask questions, I left out some items I should have given them. In any case, 1 of the principals seemed impressed and asked me if I could leave behind some copies of my PowerPoints that I've done at staff development meetings which is a good sign. Hopefully he won't plagiarize my work LOL. I was told I would know by the end of the week. Not sure if that would be the final round, or if there is another round. Of all the people that interviewed 3 looked impressed, the other 3 looked bored.

I'm now waiting at a Starbuck's for another interview at 4.

Hopefully I hear something this week by any school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.