I feel like a bonehead

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Jul 21, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I had this new resume and cover letter put together. Then I saw today I had left out the "r" in Powerpoint under technical skills. I fixed it since but now worried about the typo on my end. I have sent it out. I feel like an idiot. Has anyone had this happen to them?

3. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Since it was only an r, I am not going to out myself about it. I just feel like a big goober for not noticing that.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 21, 2011

It should be fine. As long as there are no blatant errors, you can chalk that up to human error. Try not to worry!

5. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Nope no blatant errors! I figured it would be worse if I outed myself about the missing "r" more than anything lol!

6. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Yes I have, I also hate when I am emailing a letter and I forget to attach my resume to it.

7. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

they might not notice a missing letter. I know sometimes when I read I 'fill in' where things are missing. Shouldn't be a big deal.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 21, 2011

I don't think it will be a big deal. We have all done that at one time or another. I have found with all the online apps it is really easy to make mistakes..and typing online seems to promote more typos. I have always double-proofed and printed things out in advance to check again, but once I still found an error AFTER I had hit the submit button. So you are most definitely not the only one!

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 21, 2011

Do not worry at all. I did something even worse. I was e-mailing my resume and coverletter to so many P that I forgot to change the P names on about 2 e-mails. So I sent two schools a letter that did not have any of their school info on it.
    I felt like an idiot.

10. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

In my cover letter, I had written "lessons plans" instead of "lesson plans". I just realized this error a few weeks ago. I got two interviews using the cover letter with the typo. I think most people "auto correct" when they are reading, so maybe no one will notice.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 21, 2011

I also think people auto-correct when reading. Don't feel bad, last summer I sent out a handful of resumes and forgot to sign my name on the cover letters :whistle:

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2011

You got an interview with the error.

Don't be upset over something you can't change. Just correct it for future use and keep applying.

13. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

I used to have problems remembering this but now I just put my signature on the cover letter so no need to sign them anymore.

I don't think leaving out one letter is a big deal. If it was a blatant grammatical or spelling error, that would jump out at me.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I think a lot of people auto-correct. There was that thing going around that was a paragraph and all the words were spelled wrong but the first and last letters of each word were still the same. You could still read it because your brain doesn't necessarily read every single letter. It started off "Can you raed tihs?" Made for some inbox entertainment :lol:

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Well I am doing yet another draft of my resume tonight. How many drafts have you guys been through? I think I am on my 6th or 7th...:confused:

16. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

To err is human. I wouldn't make a big deal about the missing letter.

17. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I made some revisions to make it easier to read. That is why I redid it.

18. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Resumes are a pain.

19. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 21, 2011

:D

"From Cambridge University .

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!"

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks for posting it, cmw! :D

21. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I have seen that before and still able to read it! Well I am finally happy with my resume. I just hope it is not too late in the job searching game for this upcoming school year!

22. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Am I the only one who has major OCD about this job search stuff?

23. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Definitely not! Everyone I know laughs at me because I have my color-coded spreadsheet each year for job searching. It lists every district I have applied to and they are color-coded for openings (none=red, generic=blue, actual openings=green). I also list every P that I have emailed about specific openings that are bolded when it is still open. Then I have a list of all of the interviews I have been on and for which positions. Did I mention that I have this on google docs so that I can check it anywhere, including on my phone?

I also have a mental checklist that I make myself go through when I send emails to Ps. I always make sure that I have checked the spelling backwards and forwards (literally, I start at the bottom and work my way up and then back down). I check to make sure I have included the correct name for the P and the school, then double check the spelling. I also check if I have attached my resume (I forgot once and now I'm paranoid).

So now that I have shown my craziness, rest assured you are definitely not alone in the OCD!:D

24. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I am paranoid about that R I left off of PowerPoint! I was making sure my spacing was right on my golden copy of my resume this evening. I know it would be worse if I outed myself about the error one and I am much happier with the one I have now, but I cannot reapply with it instead. I did send my awesome cover letter that I love though. Ugh!!!!

25. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Ha its not as bad as sending 20 resumes wit the wrong school year that your applying for.....thats what I did...instead of 2011-2012 I sent 2010-2012

26. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

I read somewhere that humans tend to "auto correct" in their minds when it is just one letter missing, so they probably will read it correctly even though you missed the r! I know I have to re-read things two or three times before I will catch a missing letter because I read the correct word the first few times!

Don't sweat it though, one missing letter isn't going to doom your career!