I feel I did the right thing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Organic Poppy, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

On the second day of school I could tell a student was getting frustrated. A student shouldn't be frustrated at the workload on the second day of first grade. So, I did what we always do in a situation like this. I contacted the RTI coordinator and asked if the student was on any RTI plans last year. Later that day I was pulled into the principals office and told that it was "unnecessary."

It turns out that the student was supposed to be retained in kindergarten, but the school failed to inform the parents so they just placed him in my first grade class. By contacting the RTI coordinator, I brought the situation to light and the school was forced to admit their mistake. I firmly believe that what I did was necessary and I can't believe the admins and K teacher were just OK with letting this child struggle through first grade because they wouldn't admit they made a mistake.

Side note: Before I left the principal's office I told her I was having concerns about another student as well. Turns out that student has an IEP we were unaware of. I caught two mistakes that could have caused huge problems for these kiddos later in the year. I think I should be praised for being an astute teacher instead of being shamed for doing what was best for my students.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

Good for you, Organic Poppy. You did the right thing for your students.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

Good for you.:thumb:

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2014

You did a good job!

Do you feel that admin will hold this action against you?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 17, 2014

I think with it being the second day of school, I may have gone to the kindergarten teacher (if they are still at your school) or mom/dad first, but there's certainly nothing wrong with gathering info this early in the year. I teach in a magnet program, and I can absolutely guarantee that during week one, I'll be going to look at a couple files to figure out how in the world a couple kids were accepted.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

:thumb:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

You did the right thing.

9. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

We aren't allowed to go to the old teacher without going through the RTI or admins. I know, sounds crazy, but it is a fireable offense per Union rules. It is "failure to follow the proper channels". The principal wasn't upset that I went to RTI since that is what we are supposed to do. His parents would have been my next step, but I wouldn't want to go the parents without any background knowledge of the student. I would have looked uninformed and unprepared if I had went to them with a concern that I would have known how to address had I only checked his RTI file first, you know what I am saying?

10. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

I am not sure if my principal will hold it against me. She has no right to, but she does have that tendency. I did nothing wrong. I did what I was supposed to do. Had it been under normal circumstances the principal wouldn't even have been aware that I was concerned about the student. Teachers contact the RTI coordinator regularly. How was I supposed to know the school was performing a cover up!? My husband is jokingly calling me The Whistle Blower. :whistle:

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2014

I think you did the right thing. I would just keep it between you and the RTi team now. Don't mention it with fellow staff. It would just become hot gossip.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

I'd do the same!

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

I have found that my "teacher's intuition" is often right. Good for you for following it.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2014

If you followed the procedure you should be fine. At the RtI coordinator at my school, I want to know when there is a situation.

In this situation, what is the plan for the student?