I feel for all of you!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TechnoMage, Feb 4, 2017.

1. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Feb 4, 2017

As a retired science teacher, I decided to go back to school this year and WOW! the difference I saw.
    It is still hard work (of course it always was) but the demands on my time were terrible.
    The special education demands have made a MOCKERY out of real teaching. The Judges have legislated from the bench so much that THESE students don't really work at all. You are required to type out their notes so they do nothing in class (why bother, you gave them the notes??). Extended time on assignments means they are perpetually, hopelessly, behind. They take their tests, over several days, someplace else. And as always, the responsibility for pass/fail is on the teacher, as the sped teachers CYA on you. Its no wonder these students can do so little when the "finish" (not graduate) HS. The sped students seem to be the highest priority in the "New" system and the students seem to be in charge. The "Spanish speakers" cannot fail a class and they are continuously and perpetually absent. Wow is all I can say. Adding to that, my state department of education (SC State of Confusion) has decided that a >60< is now a passing grade and the local districts believe in allowing kids to retake anything failed or "missed", are we setting these kids up for failure or what?? I think I am done.... This is Wonderlandish or did I wake up in crazyville?
    Is this an isolated occurrence or is this problem Pandemic.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 5, 2017

I'm north of you and I'm seeing the same thing. My district is so terrified of lawsuits that we cave to any request that a sped parent makes and label any child that doesn't have an A (and sometimes those too!) as learning disabled.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2017

60 has always been a passing grade, at least here, so I'm confused about that part. Was 60 considered failing before?

I think that it seems like there have been many mandates across the board that have resulted in lowering the bar to the point that it is basically resting on the ground now. I don't think that this is specific to special ed or ELL.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 5, 2017

I believe until two years ago NC and SC used a 7 point grading system. So 70 was passing.

The change from 70 to 60 hasn't affected me greatly. I adjusted my assignments and grading scales to compensate for the change. Before I made it incredibly easy to earn a 70 in order to pass. Now getting a 70 is a bit harder but getting a 60 is still easy.

6. sophomorehope16

sophomorehope16 Rookie

Feb 5, 2017

It's happening all over. I'm from the south and one of my co-teachers back from another school once had a student in biology that doesn't know how to write. Yes, you read that right! But the AP said, we are here to sail them through high school. You can absolutely guess what happens next...

7. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Feb 5, 2017

There was a time when the profession was "professional", while being low paid (relatively) we were still able to look at what we were doing as worthy and honorable. Now we see the "push" for every child to succeed and get that "trophy" for participation. It is hard to get them to try anymore as the bar is a line drawn on the floor instead of something to work for. When my state went to an educational lottery to fund college tuition, it raised the minimum passing grade to 73 a "D" (from 70) and a "B" became an 86 (a student with a "B" average got lottery money for state college tuition). Now they lowered a "D" to a 60 (passing) but a "B" is now an 80 (we will see how long that lasts as lottery money runs out). It was explained as a move to "level the playing field". I never knew that some states already had 60 as passing. MANY districts in my state had the minimum grade you could give a child as a 60. So this makes each child (in those districts) automatically pass. We are falling farther and farther behind in education. I am terribly, and incredibly saddened by this turn of events. I have given most of my time on this earth to educating children and to see this happening is very disheartening. If they want to kill public education, this is certainly a way to do it. We can rubber stamp each graduate as "passing" with a "D".