I feel afraid & sick..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Johari's Window, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Sep 4, 2012

I just got a call that I secured a position and to report in the morning. I was so down after five interviews that I stopped prepping! I don't know what I'm going to do....I'm not ready and I feel as if I may have a panic attack or be sick.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2012

First thing...take a deep breath...they know you were just hired...they won't be expecting you to be completely prepared. Plan to meet your cohorts and get the lay of the land.

Can you tell us what you will be teaching so we can give you some ideas?

4. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Sep 4, 2012

Aw good luck! I am sure you will do great!

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 4, 2012

You will be fine. Just be confident and ask questions when you need to.

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

Congratulations! Go in there with a smile and the kids will make you feel at ease! Have fun!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2012

Deep breaths... this is what you've been waiting for!

You'll be great. Congratulations.

What will you be teaching?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2012

Congratulations! Breathe!

9. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 5, 2012

How EXCITING!!! It's normal to be nervous.

10. BaileyTN

BaileyTN Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

Congratulations!

11. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

I agree with swansong...they won't expect you to walk in and immediately know everything. I don't know if you're a new to the profession teacher or just new to the school teacher, but as a new to the profession teacher myself, here's what I'd recommend....(some of these I did last year, some I only wish I'd done) :)

- Meet with your colleagues. Ask them a LOT of questions....they are teachers and they like to TEACH and help! :) I was always asking questions (still do!), getting clarification & advice, etc. and when I'd apologize for all the questions, they said they really didn't mind. Now, I have a new to the school grade level colleague this year, and so I am getting some questions...and I LOVE that I can be the one to help! :)
    - Be observant, and ask even more questions!! I found that sometimes throughout the year, activities that they'd done for years just came so naturally that they didn't think to pass it on or let me know until I noticed them doing it with their classes and asked about it. It's not that they didn't want to share the activities, it's just that it didn't occur to them since it's such a part of their routine. (Although, I will say that as I reflected on my first year, I grew in my ability to be ok with "doing my own thing" and not feel like a bad teacher if I don't do something that the other grade level classes do.)
    - Ask for curriculum materials and whatever "first week" parent notes they send home
    - See what they use for classroom management and decide if it'll work for you (and check to be sure that whatever you do matches any school-wide behavior things like PBIS)
    - See what they do for community building, rule establishing, & get to know you activities for the 1st week and "borrow"/adapt them to your liking
    - Talk to people at your school to see what supplies are provided & what you might need to get
    - Make sure you're familiar with the layout of your school so you can look confident as you lead students through the halls
    - Same with procedures...be confident on those so you can project that confidence through to your students
    - If you need to set up a room, just get it functional & then you can cutesy it up later. (Though, I would take the time to really think about where to store/place things, and label the shelves with what's on them or what's behind what you can see on them...I ended up re-arranging a lot of stuff for this year because it had just been thrown on a random shelf in my hurry to unpack last fall.)

Sorry this post is so long, but hopefully some of it is helpful. As I am starting my 2nd year, I'm still reflecting on my 1st and trying to remember my experiences so that I can be grateful for where I am now. :)

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 7, 2012

You will be fine. What is your new position?