I failed "the easiest test you'll ever take" aka CBEST

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by jblithe, Sep 10, 2016.

1. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 10, 2016

I used to work with students in an after-school program setting for 4 years after I graduated from college. Then I entered the corporate world and felt/knew that it was a big mistake. I wanted to get back into working with students again so I decided to register and take CBEST. My mistake was, I never prepared for it, not even if preparing for it means I made sure I was well rested.

I talked to 2 people, one middle school teacher and another an elementary teacher who both told me that this will be the easiest test I'll ever take. I was told not to worry about it as no preparation was needed. I always worry when I take tests but went ahead and rushed to take the test anyway. I was desperate to get away from my current job.

Just imagine how much it crushed me when I saw my "NOT YET PASSED" test result. I was (still am) devastated. I feel sort of.. dumb. How can a test which measures basic reading, math and writing skills be so difficult for me? I NEED to take the CBEST again.. I can't just give up. :(

3. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Sep 11, 2016

Even the easiest test can be impossible to pass when you are not well rested!

4. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

Yea.. And my anxiety in taking tests didn't help... :(

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2016

Seems Iike you didn't take the test too seriously. Even for the "easiest test", a review of the types of questions/content and rest would have served you well. And had you done those things, your anxiety would have been most likely lessened.

6. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

I respect your right to make such assumptions.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2016

Well, the good news is that now you know EXACTLY what the test is like and will know exactly what you need to do for next time. It'll be fine.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2016

jblithe, you're far from the first person not to pass CBEST on the first go. When your score report arrives, it will have diagnostics that will shed light on what happened. Let's talk about it then, hm?

9. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

Definitely. I am going to take some time to prepare for it. It will be challenging given my full time job but I will out aside some time each day. Thank you!

10. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 11, 2016

Do I share the results here? Or more like private message someone? I am pretty embarrassed by it...

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2016

Specific questions and answers are NOT permitted on the forum, but if you want to talk about generalities, we're here and non-judgemental. We're also naturally happy to help people improve test scores. It comes with the career choice.

12. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 12, 2016

Thank you. I will get over the embarrassment and post the areas of improvements here eventually.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 12, 2016

jblithe, have another hug gratis, and if you generally do well on tests in spite of your anxiety, have yet another. You're far from the first person to be in that boat; it's a different kind of discomfort from the discomfort felt by the person who faces CBEST with a history of NOT doing well on tests, but it's no less legitimately discomfort. (You'll see something like this among your future students, too, I promise, and please call upon your memories of this experience when that time comes.)

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2016

Don't be embarrassed. I had a friend who was an aide and had taken it at least three times and not passed. She was very intelligent but struggled with test anxiety. Testing does not equal intelligence.

PallasAthena likes this.
  15. Grizzlybrunson

Grizzlybrunson New Member

Sep 13, 2016

jblithe,
    I take the CBEST on oct 15 if you could private message me any tips I would appreciate it I have the Cliff Notes study guide and have downloaded all the materials from online just curious on the exact content of the exam as I'm taking the Computer Based test .

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

The computer-based CBEST is the paper-based CBEST ported to the mid-sized screen: same number of multiple choice questions, same general topics, and as nearly the same format and logistics as possible. With that said, CBEST has been around long enough for the test makers to have generated a fair number of versions, and the coverage of specific subtopics or subskills can and does vary from version to version. A question on circumference, for example, can be a word problem or not; can ask for the circumference or can ask for the radius; can be framed in terms of decimals or in terms of fractions; and so on. Anyone who knows what circumference is and can apply the circumference formula will do fine with any variation.

PallasAthena likes this.
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

I will tell you, without reservation, to listen to any and all advice TeacherGroupie has to offer. Testing is her particular specialty.

18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2016

That, and spectacularly-formed sentences :)

bella84 and catnfiddle like this.
  19. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Thank you so much. When you mentioned my "future students" it honestly made me smile. :)
    It was definitely a different kind of discomfort, one that felt like it was questioning my intelligence.. but I know I shouldn't let it get to me like that.
    Thank you so much. When you mentioned my "future students" it honestly made me smile. :)
    It was definitely a different kind of discomfort, one that felt like it was questioning my intelligence.. but I know I shouldn't let it get to me like that.

20. jblithe

jblithe Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

I think I'm going to take my time and take each section separately. I know I could do better. I am so glad I found this forum so I didn't have to keep feeling down.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2016

Awww, thanks, cat and mathmagic...

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2016

Glad I made you smile, but my point is serious. Believe me when I tell you that a good number of your students will have learned (or will be learning, depending on their ages) to feel that their intelligence is being questioned, and with no recourse. Remember how that feels, and remember that it can be overcome: make a point of teaching your future students how to THINK in whatever discipline you teach; how to write formulaic prose, when that's what's called for, when what counts is being understandable, fast; and how to recover from the injuries that the world piles upon them.

PallasAthena likes this.