I FAILED MY MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH PRAXIS!!!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by K-5*Newbie*, Aug 28, 2008.

1. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

hello.................:unsure:
    I F A I L E D my middle school math praxis, and by alot! I got a 139, out of the minimum of 152 (NJ). So, I am very upset. I got the least points on the writing section. I posted a thread here about a month ago, and here I am again, with bad news. I studied from the REA guide, and I think I will have to spend some money on a "REAL" study guide. I am also taking math classes. We'll see what happens. If any one has a good study guide, I will be more than glad to learn their title, so I could purchase them.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

That's hard, K-5*Newbie*. Do you have a sense of the areas in which you came to grief?

4. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

yea, I did the worst on the essays, and then also geometry...I need to develop a plan, but I don't even know where to start from

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

I failed mine too K-5. I missed it by 2 points. I am thinking about finding a refresher class.

6. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I was going to take the test sometime this year so that I could teach 7th or 8th grade as well.....now I'm not so sure LOL. I did get a book that looks pretty good (I've only glanced through a chapter or so) but I got scared and closed it up when I got to imaginary numbers!!! There isn't a real explination of it so I'm lost with those and scared to go farther into it!

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

(emphasis added)

Nice play on words ;)

What's so bad about imaginary numbers?

8. newbee

newbee Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Hi K-5, I didn't take praxis test, but i took the Mtel middle school math test around the same time you took. i too failed. I feel so sad and feel so dum of myself. Not that i am bad at math, but I feel I need to know where to focus and what matters to study on. my husband asked me how could i fail middle school math after all it is alony middle school level. Thoughi am strong in math, the last time i touched a math book was several years ago and i too prepared through the REA and xamonline books. but i believe that won't be enough.Like Malcom said, i took a print out from the DOE website that lists the subject area and I am doing section by section and revising on areas i felt i had trouble. plus, i bought the praxiis ii middle school practice test that costed me 29 dollars and bought a used middle school pre algebra book that covers most of the area that we will be tested, so that i can study the subject matter when i don't get an answer. i wish we were close by so that we could do a self study together. but i am in boston and you are in nj. please to do tell me if you come across any good books or resources to study for the test

9. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Well, I thought it was cute =P

10. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Don't feel bad. I have just failed my praxis 2 0014 for the third time with the same exact score. I demand a recount!!!:rolleyes:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

newbee, I like your approach, and I bet it will pay off. What's more, you'd be surprised how much studying-together you can do by email - and, for that matter, right here by posting your questions and requests for help. I know of at least three authentic math mavens who keep an eye on this forum and are very generous with their time, and if your question is something I can help with, I'll probably chip in too.

lowes48, I'm sorry you're feeling grieved. C'mon over to the Multiple Subject Tests subforum and tell me where you think you're getting tripped up, hm?

12. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

Hi, I too am looking to purchase praxis ii math, but I haven't gotten the money yet. I also found another book to purchase online, it is called "Boson", but again, I don't have the money to pay for it yet. Here is the link for it http://www.boson.com/Product/ETS-ES-0069-01.html
    Tuesday I start taking 3 classes, and I have until the rest of the year to pass this stupid thing! let me tell you, THAT WAS NOT 6th GEADE MATERIAL on that test. I remember doing this stuff my junior year in HS!!!! Oh well. I'm thinking about the same thing you are, targeting the areas which I did the poorest on! Good luck

13. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

Hmm...I wonder if you chaps realize that to teach at the Middle School level, broad High School level Math skills are routinely - and understandably! - tested.

As it should be.

For instance, IF the syllabus demanded knowledge of, say, functions, I would imagine that notions of Domain, Range, Intercepts, Increasing & Decreasing Intervals, Maximum / Minimum values [from a graph], Inverse and Composite Functions, etc. are fair game...with emphasis on Lines, Quadratic, Absolute Value and Exponential Functions.

Tip! Study off of HIGH SCHOOL Geometry and Algebra II textbooks. No, really! [I just examined the topic areas and the sample Qs, and they're not of middling calibre.]

A source of much misunderstanding is the fallacy that Middle School 0069 Mathematics Praxis calls forth "middle school Math" skills alone!

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

14. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

Exactly!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

TeacherGroupie's Maxim: You can't prepare your students for where they're going if you don't know where they're going.

16. JayR

JayR Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I am sorry to hear about all the people who failed the Math Praxis. When I was a kid, I thought the key to learning math was to memorize lots of formulas. Now I realize the key is to do lots of problems. For what it's worth, I had a feeling that of all the study guide publishers, none of them had actually taken the Praxis except one guy, so I studied from the problems at www.praxisiimath.com written by someone who actually took the exams. Hang in there, and good luck.

17. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

The website would lead one to believe that the Middle School Praxis Exam requires advanced knowledge of logs, determinants, normal distributions, ellipses - none of which are mentioned on the syllabus at the official ETS site.

And curious that the Middle School Math and High School Math Praxis sample Qs on that site are identical!

Jay.
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

18. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

19. newbee

newbee Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

20. math2010s

math2010s Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I did purchase the Praxismathexam tests. I am going to take the Praxis this coming Saturday, Sept 13th. I will let you know if I think these tests helped me after I see what the real test looks like. Now the praxismathexam tests do not have essay problems, only multiple choice problems.

21. math2010s

math2010s Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I just returned from taking the Praxis II test. I would say that the Praxismathexam tests did NOT look like the real test at all.

22. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

Ouch this math must be getting harder. I heard all the new teachers trying to pass the praxis and having a time compared to when we had to take it a few years ago. I heard they are trying to make sure we are very highly qualified teachers. Our school only hires the highly qualified. Good luck with your test. You may have to purchase books and those math classes should help.

23. math2010s

math2010s Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

I passed middle school praxis 0069!!

Yeah!!!! I called for my scores a few minutes ago and I passed the praxis. I needed a 158 and I received a 181. Now all I have is to pass the PLT so I can teach in the state of Kansas. Anyone know of good resources for the PLT except for what is on the ets.org site?

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2008

If you can do radicals, you can do imaginary numbers-- all of the operations are the same!!!!

Brush up on your radicals, then take another look at the imaginaries!!!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2008

Congrats!!!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2008

That should be tattooed on the forehead of every teacher in the nation!!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2008

Have you taught at all?

I think there's been a little discussion of this in the Other Tests subforum; try looking there.

28. math2010s

math2010s Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

I have been a substitute teacher for a few months and a para in a behavioral/emotional disorder middle school for 5 years. Otherwise, no "real" in front of the class teaching.

29. math2010s

math2010s Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

I looked in the Other Tests subsection and I didn't see a topic relating to the PLT. I know I've seen it somewhere on this forum, I think..... I'll keep looking around.

I am hoping to take the test in January.

Oh, yeah, like I said in previously (in Sept), I did not think the test looked at all like the praxismathexam stuff. It looked more like a SAT test.