I failed my interview HELP!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Rose Brooke, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Rose Brooke

Rose Brooke Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

I'm new so bear with me....

I just had my first 2nd interview (If that makes sense) and I got the call yesterday that I didn't get the position. :( I thought it should have been mine since I student taught there last semester and knew all the teachers on the committee. He said they gave it to someone who had experience and that was the deciding factor. How does one get experience if they won't hire because they don't have experience? :confused: My resume is nothing impressive. I am 25 years old and have young girls (4 and 4 months). I haven't had time to do much with working full time and going to school full time with a family at home. I am unemployed now and looking for a job. Does this matter? Should I try to volunteer? Should I find a job that works with children? (Daycare, subbing, library, teachers aid)? What do I do to make myself stand out?

I had a portfolio, but didn't use it during my interview. I was thinking of slimming it down and making copies to hand to them. I thought this might help and putting specific information in it. Maybe this will help answer questions. I am better at thinking and writing my responses rather than verbally responding.

I could also use some feedback on some of the questions.

1. How do you form relationships with staff members?
    2. Who do you need to talk to in order to do your job?
    3. How do you meet the needs of all your students?
    4. Describe your ideal classroom?
    5. What assessment tools do you use and how do you use them?
    6. How do you use technology in the classroom?
    7. How do you decrease classroom interuptions?
    8. How do you handle consistent behavior issues?
    9. Communication with parents?
    10. Your 3rd grade students are reading at a 1st grade level and a 3rd grade level, how do you teach them?

SOrry so long, but any advice would help. I'm really starting to be down on myself and think I'm not good enough. Continous rejection sure has a way of dampening your spirits. :tired:

3. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 21, 2006

You did not fail. As you said you were not as experienced as they'd like-not your fault. Frankly I hope they already knew the person they hired because otherwise they basically hired an unknown. They can list off all their experience but if they aren't a team player your school has shot themselves in the foot.

Your inclinations are good. Definitely volunteer and/or get a job subbing etc. I don't have the time right now to speak to the interview questions but I do want you to know you are in the right place (this forum) many of us have been through this. Personally I've had 4.5 years of subbing and I finally got a great job teaching K. Don't let that freak you out for me it was necessary. I had a lot of growing to do--I thank God that he took me through everything that I've been through.

Best wishes, keep your chin up!

4. Rose Brooke

Rose Brooke Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Thank you - I needed that.

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

Rose Brooke,

I also didn't get hired for a position in my student teaching school. However, they didn't even interview me (or the other 2 interns) because they had to hire in district first - Teacher's who needed to transfer from other schools. Be lucky you got a fair chance at the job. With that said, maybe you can tell us how you answered those questions. Maybe we'll see an answer we could help you with - and then if you get asked it again on your next interview - voila! :)

I haven't gotten any interviews yet, but I'm waiting patiently!

Chenelle

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

Hi Rose,

I'm sorry you had such a rotten day. I'm secondary math, so I really can't be of any huge help on the questions.

But know that 2 interviews is not a lot!!

In fact, the fact that you got the interviews at all in the job market that's so incredibly tight-- that means there's something very special they're seeing in your resume or cover letter!

You're 25 and have 2 young kids-- this is something you can play up! As the mom of 3, I know what a challenge the 2nd one is--about a bazillion times more difficult than the first, because you're multitasking so much more. You're constantly deciding which child has the more important needs at the moment-- do you continue with the diaper you're in the middle of, or attend to that cry you just heard? This skill comes in so handy in the classroom, and I think it's something you should use to your advantage in the interview. It can help counter the experience thing.

And hang in there. The hiring season isn't over by a long shot!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Rose don't feel bad you didn't get the job. That same thing happened to me last year. I worked at a school as a teachers aide and did not get the job. And I know it has happened to a lot of other people on here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2006

Rose Brooke

Cheer up! You can't fail an interview. I understood what you were saying, but each interview is just practice. With everyone you will feel more confident and it will show. Teaching is just one of those professions where we are forced to try and try again until the right fit comes along.

There's a great practice intervew thread on here. Good Luck. Don't let it get you down. :love:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

1. How do you form relationships with staff members? I would want to tell them that I think all teachers have something to learn from each other. The opportunity to team-teach, common planning time is professionally rewarding. In addition, making social connections is important- going to lunch together, faculty room. Basically let them know you WANT to meet, work with and be with other like-minded professionals.
    2. Who do you need to talk to in order to do your job?This is multi-pronged- I need to know parent concerns as they know their child, I need to talk to kids, colleagues, resource personnel, administrators, secretaries, custodians (Essentially- teachers are first and foremost COMMUNICATORS!!) Talking with, gathering information from, and bouncing ideas from all stakeholders in the process helps facilitate you doing your job of teaching.
    3. How do you meet the needs of all your students? Assessing where they are, differentiating instruction, cooperative learning, recognizing learning styles, multi-sensory approach to teaching
    4. Describe your ideal classroom? Literature rich, visually appealing, hands on materials, a 'productive buzz' in the room , a feeling of community is fostered, looks like 'organized chaos' to the untrained eye as kids are engaged in learning in many different ways.
    5. What assessment tools do you use and how do you use them?Assessment is a multi-faceted tool and a continual process. I assess learning on an ongoing basis using a variety of tools and techniques. Assessment tools that I utilize include rubrics and self-assessment sheets, anecdotal record keeping, ‘tests’, portfolios (student notebooks, unit packs, and folders) and KWL charts. Student understanding is also monitored during cooperative group activities, projects, and presentations. This variety of tools and techniques allows me a multi-layered view of my students’ learning, growth, and development.

6. How do you use technology in the classroom? For planning, for communication, for a multi-media approach to learning (United Streaming, smartboard), for student independent use for study, publication of written work, etc
    7. How do you decrease classroom interruptions? Teach procedures and rules, be consistent with behavior management, kids should be aware of expectations and consequences, create a climate of community and respect
    8. How do you handle consistent behavior issues?Keep the parents in the loop, figure out why child is misbehaving,(a misbehaving child is a discouraged child-find out why they are discouraged) offer choices, behavior contracts, get guidance involved if necessary
    9. Communication with parents?IS SO IMPORTANT- Parents are a valuable partner. Initial contact the first few week of school via a phone call or email to tell them you are so happy to have little Johnny in your room is so proactive. get parents involved as volunteers so they understand what is going on in your room. Newsletters, email, website, communication in homework log or agenda are all helpful in keeping parents in the loop. It's all about building a strong school-home connection.
    10. Your 3rd grade students are reading at a 1st grade level and a 3rd grade level, how do you teach them?

10. Rose Brooke

Rose Brooke Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Thank you to everyone. The encouragement sounds so much more reassuring coming from others who have had similar experiences and going through the same rejection as I am. I do feel like I will be more confident next time and the practice was good. Thanks for the responses so quickly. The answers were helpful. I guess I really didn't understand some of the questions, but now seems so easy. I have the brain freeze syndrome when it comes to interviewing.

I have seen the practice thread and taken notes - thank you

I never thought of using motherhood as an advantage in my interviewing - thanks

CHIN UP AND STILL TRYING - thank you everyone

11. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Glad to hear you are feeling more positive. As the others said stay positive and try to find ways to use your experiences getting to where you are now and how they can apply to being a teacher. Use any information you can find to show you want to be an informed teacher. The interviews I went on liked my enthusiasm about certain technologies available now and the fact that I was young, full of energy, life, and have a positive outlook. They also like that I am married, have a young child, and still managed to make it to the graduation ceremony in four years, just like most of my peers. Yes my grades suffered at times but it shows you can balance it out and make your goals. Those were all things I emphasized in my interviews along with the can do attitude often gets the results. Although I didn't use that wording but I did make sure to let them know why I felt I succeeded when I had more responsibilities than the average recent graduate.

12. Rose Brooke

Rose Brooke Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Thanks just wondering
    I too planned a wedding, had two children while working and school full time. I guess this does show that I can handle more resposibilities than the average student. I will use that!

13. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

Always point out that you do have experience!!!
    Make them pay attention to you during an interview...in a politely assertive way of course.
    Don't let them ask you these questions....you know they are coming so when they ask you to tell them about yourself start telling them about your experiences at multi tasking and management of children......don't forget to toot your own horn!! You are there to convince them that they need YOU!!!
    (in a politely assertive way of course!!) LOL

14. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I know how you feel. I was turned down and I had a long term sub job at the school. I did everything during the school year to help get me the job. I did many hours of volunteering at school events. I lost the job because the other lady had family in the district and kids to bring into the district. You could look in Michigan. They usually hire teachers fresh out of college especially ones who have kids of their own.

15. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

How unfair
    Did they tell you that's why they turned you down?
    That's a bit of discrimination.
    I'm so sorry for you.

16. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

No they did not tell me that. I am from a small area, so it is just known. They just said she had more community involvement which was not really true either. the thing is, she already had a job in another town close by. I lost my job a year previously because the school closed because of declining enrollment and money. The school she left only hires teachers with no experience because it is cheaper and they need to save money. It is tough especially where I live. Sometimes teachers retire and they do not replace them. They just make the classes bigger. I have lots of years of experience.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

Any chance you can relocate? There are still lots of jobs out there, just not where you are.

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 6, 2006

Try applying for para jobs and get your name on subbing lists. That will get you started. Do not give up! Terry G.

19. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 6, 2006

I am sorry you didn't get hired, however remain positive. I always believe there is a reason for everything. You were not meant to be hired at the school right now. It doesn't mean in the future you wont. As far as failure goes, you did not fail. Each interview you go on gives you more experience at interviewing. Plus, often times during interviews they have contacts. Networking is part of interviewing. You never know who they might contact about YOU. I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there. I would try the sub route too. I know here certified subs get paid well. Plus, with a subbing postion you can call the shots since you have two little ones! Good luck and remember the "right" job will come along.

20. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 6, 2006

When I was looking for a job after student teaching I was constantly advised to sub. First of all, it shows that you have stayed involved in schools...second, the school district(s) you sub in can give very good recommendations. The teachers in the districts I've subbed in from the moment I got the required 60 college credits were bummed that I got a job because that meant I would no longer be in their classrooms!
    I had been promised a job in (low income) school district but because of budget reasons they werent able to hire me...I was then offered a job in an amazing school and start in Sept. Thank god I hadn't gotten that first job!
    Just remember everything happens for a reason...You didnt get this job because there is a better one out there...one that is perfect for you.
    Don't give up! Good luck!

21. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

You're welcome! Just passing information given to me when I was looking for a job on how to turn things around to make you look good. :)