I don't want to nag, BUT...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by myKroom, Aug 29, 2010.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I don't want to get that reputation at my new school of being a nag, BUT...there are things that aren't getting done that, in my opinion, should be done!

1. I'm in a classroom without a whiteboard, so the principal ordered me one. She "didn't realize" there wasn't one in my room!?!? (Strange because she supposedly does walk throughs all the time!) Well, the board came in last Monday, but they haven't put it up yet. It's sitting in the curriculum directors office right across the hallway! I don't have anywhere to do writing and group activities! We have had 7 days of school so far and this week we are really starting in on the curriculum!

All our janitors are female, so if I ask, I think they are going to just tell me they need some guys to help them! I've heard them use this excuse before!

2. They have not vacuumed my carpet since before Open House (8 days)! I teach Kindergarten...we are on the carpet all the time! It's gross!!

I already had to pull teeth to get the carpet cleaned when I arrived and have asked for some other small things to be taken care of. Some things are done, some are not! I don't want to be a nag and it's not really in my nature...but seriously...vacuuming the carpet...should I really HAVE to nag about that!!! Apparently I do!

3. historynut

historynut Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

I don't call it nagging, I call it justified B****ing! Those are things that should be done, no excuses in my opinion.

I had to do the same thing last year when they came to our school to add technology to the portables and old buildings to match the new ones. My room was 'left off the list'. I was in the principals office daily for a week. I would just politely ask if my room was on the list and when it would be if it wasn't. It took a little over a week but my room magically appeared on the list. :)

Some things just need to be done and people will try to get out of doing it if they can.

4. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Start putting things in writing. It's easy for people to "forget" a conversation, but if you put things in writing with a date on and keep a copy then you have a record, which is always good.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I'd email whomever you feel you need to - head custodian, principal, AP, etc. And in the email I would state that you know things get forgotten as the day passes and other things come up for them to tend to. So - how often would they like to see a reminder? That lets them know that you will continue to mention it until it is done, puts the ball in their court so you won't seem like a nag and gives them an out if it isn't done right away. Hopefully they won't reply with "no need to remind me - I'm working on it." and then put you on the back burner :(

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 29, 2010

Sorry to hear your board isn't up yet. That would be aggravating!

Is your room carpeted or is it a carpet rug you have in there? Are you sure it is their job to do that? We have to sweep and mop our own rooms if we want it done. It varies from school to school what a custodian's job is within a teacher's classroom.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

If the custodial staff is all female, there is no reason that they should be using that as an excuse for why they can't do things. I have an all female custodial staff and they are amazing! They clean, they move furniture (desks, teacher desks, filing cabinets... you name it, they take care of it), they put things together.

I would ask around and see if the custodial staff is normally pretty good about cleaning the carpets. Maybe they are just swamped with beginning of the year stuff. If it is a problem all the time, I would consider purchasing a small/cheap vaccuum to store in your room. I know you shouldn't have to, but for me (and my OCD cleanliness), it would be worth the investment.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

Like someone else mentioned, I'd DEFINITELY send an email to the principal to remind him/her that you need your white board installed ASAP!

I would make the email brief yet concise:

Dear Principal,

This is a busy time of year for all of us; however, I wanted to send a friendly reminder to let you know that the white board you ordered for me is sitting in Mrs. ______'s office. Can't wait to get it set up so I can begin using it! Any idea when it'll be installed?

Thanks so much for your help!

~Mr./Mrs. Teacher

9. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

The custodial staff may not actually be in charge of hanging a whiteboard. In my district there are technology people whose job that is - and they are about as easy to get hold of as our one locksmith (read: not.) They may be waiting on something like that.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 31, 2010

I guess I am lucky, we have 3 guys on our custodial staff. One drives me crazy and doesn't do much during the year, but we have a new principal now so maybe he will be better. But he did do a few things in my classroom over the summer (besides cleaning it) so I am thrilled.

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 31, 2010

i think if it were me, in a new school, I would first bring in my own vaccuum, and just do it myself. I often do that now, just because it is easier.

as for the white board, I would perhaps ask more like this - can you let me know when the white board will be installed, so that I can rearrange the things in my room so that it will be easier for the installation process?

as a new teacher, yeah, you do not want to nag.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 31, 2010

we have to send a maintenance requisition for things like boards being hung...

I emailed everyone involved in May about neding a swing aparatus and gate taken out of my room and moved to my new building... I'd also been in touch about lowering the coat hooks (this used to be a K room)...

none of those have gotten done yet. I can't actually USE that swing apparatus here (there I had exposed I-beams... here they're all covered by tile because of the A/C)... but I reminded the head maintenance guy about it the other day, and he asked me to submit the maintenance form. Apparently they aren't allowed to do ANY of that kind of stuff without a work order.

As far as my rugs? I am on pretty good terms with both our day and night custodians... so I come at it with a "hey, I know you're busy, but when you get a chance, could you please make sure my carpet gets vaccuumed? I know it's big, but I have kids who pick things up off the floor, and I don't want tme to get sick."

that usually fixes it for a bit :)

13. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 31, 2010

I found out that the carpet only gets vacuumed once per week! Monday PM is my lucky day!! We just have an area rug...but we spend lots of time up there. I may have to find something to keep at school to do it myself. I just can't handle once per week!

As for the white board...my janitor came in and said they are still waiting for the male head janitor to come and help! UVA...I agree...they shouldn't use that as an excuse...but they do!

14. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

Oh, we must be at the same school! Bugs in the window sill, funky showerboard aka white board, junk overstock furniture, broken overhead projector, broken table legs, you name it, it's in my room. They won't remove it or fix it even if you B*#@&% unless you're one of their faves (guess I'm not)! Teachers have been known to "throw" things away on their own knowing they'll never leave the classroom.:eek: